Bidwell (2 Viewers)

Grendel

Chris Marsden? Probably couldn’t get about as much as he used to but worth a punt!

Have to get a line in for him if he’s playing and don’t talk about funerals

Sky Blue Harry H

Chris Marsden? Probably couldn’t get about as much as he used to but worth a punt!

That Swindon game at home - biggest 1-1 thrashing we've ever handed out. He was immense that game.

Think it was this one (just watched a video, where at the end of the link above on a second clip, the commentator refers to Bloomfield Road, instead of Highfield Road - heathen!)

Last edited:

Terry_dactyl

That Swindon game at home - biggest 1-1 thrashing we've ever handed out. He was immense that game.
I remember it I think. Jan Age Fjortoft late on for them? Wegerle turned up for this one too I believe.
I seem to remember their fans being absolute twats throughout. We were sat near them in the skyblue terrace.

Edit: hadn’t noticed you put up a vid. Was wrong about fjortoft!

Last edited:

NortonSkyBlue

Think it was this one (just watched a video, where at the end of the link above on a second clip, the commentator refers to Bloomfield Road, instead of Highfield Road - heathen!)

Yes we pulverised them for a 1-1 draw but the draw with Huddersfield recently must be up there.

kg82

I remember it I think. Jan Age Fjortoft late on for them? Wegerle turned up for this one too I believe.
I seem to remember their fans being absolute twats throughout. We were sat near them in the skyblue terrace.

Edit: hadn’t noticed you put up a vid. Was wrong about fjortoft!
I remember one with Fjortoft scoring as well, in about the 9th minute of added time.

Terry_dactyl

I remember one with Fjortoft scoring as well, in about the 9th minute of added time.
Yeah, I thought so too but I think swindon were only up for one season?

Edit: what’s worse about this is, it’s starting to come back to me that I’ve had exactly the same conversation on here before. I think it was pointed out I was wrong then too.

Sky Blue Harry H

Yeah, I thought so too but I think swindon were only up for one season?

Edit: what’s worse about this is, it’s starting to come back to me that I’ve had exactly the same conversation on here before. I think it was pointed out I was wrong then too.

Don't worry - I nearly started a thread (there will have been one before) on weird away day experiences, then remembered I'd told my tale about Spurs away (when we stayed up) before (probably more than once!)

Terry_dactyl

Don't worry - I nearly started a thread (there will have been one before) on weird away day experiences, then remembered I'd told my tale about Spurs away (when we stayed up) before (probably more than once!)
I haven’t heard it! (Or have and have completely forgotten it).

ccfc1234

He’s not getting forward enough at the minute, but I assume that will change as he gets used to the system. I think he’s the backup for Maatsen until the end of the season anyway.
I get the impression he is not on back up money?

Will judge him at the end of Feb. Kane looked rusty when he arrived and now looks a very decent player.

Grendel

Is this the final cryptic clue from the xmas quiz? I think I get the first bit but you’ve lost me with talk of funerals.

Google Chris Marsden Billy Wright

stupot07

He’s not getting forward enough at the minute, but I assume that will change as he gets used to the system. I think he’s the backup for Maatsen until the end of the season anyway.
We havent signed a 28 year old with 300 championship games on a 2.5 year deal as a back up for a 19 year old loanee from Chelsea. He will likely be on of our highest earners now, you don't pay that to warm the bench. They will compete for the position and I wouldn't be surprised if they rotate a lot depending on the opposition.

harvey098

How on earth can people say he’s better defensively than Maatsan? He’s played a game and a half and already produced the worst bit of defending I’ve seen all season.

Not writing him off but can’t see what you lot have seen to suggest he’s a better defender than Maatsan yet.

Attachments

• DAE10DE7-B1A8-4154-8D82-35FC789A2AB4.gif
    DAE10DE7-B1A8-4154-8D82-35FC789A2AB4.gif
    1.7 MB · Views: 56

Grendel

How on earth can people say he’s better defensively than Maatsan? He’s played a game and a half and already produced the worst bit of defending I’ve seen all season.

Not writing him off but can’t see what you lot have seen to suggest he’s a better defender than Maatsan yet.

He has played 300 games at this level and has been in several play offs. He and Kane have nearly 600 games between them and have been first choice between them at 6 clubs - that suggests he's better than a rookie 19 year old

slowpoke

Of course Bidwell is a better long term bet Maatsan back to Chelsea in the summer hopefully Bidwell is another Todd Kane type, that doesn’t mean there can’t be a role in the next few weeks for Maatsan or even Marsden🤭
Dabo is in the same boat.

SBT

We havent signed a 28 year old with 300 championship games on a 2.5 year deal as a back up for a 19 year old loanee from Chelsea. He will likely be on of our highest earners now, you don't pay that to warm the bench. They will compete for the position and I wouldn't be surprised if they rotate a lot depending on the opposition.

If that transpires to be the case then I imagine Chelsea will be a little more reluctant to loan us young players in future. I think we bought in Bidwell as both a short-term fix (to cover for Maatsen during his injury) and as a long-term one (so we finally own a LWB), and I'm sure he's the starter next season. But Chelsea expect us to play Maatsen more weeks than not, and so long as he's in competitive form I would expect we do that, to protect our relationship with them if nothing else.

Terry_dactyl

He has played 300 games at this level and has been in several play offs. He and Kane have nearly 600 games between them and have been first choice between them at 6 clubs - that suggests he's better than a rookie 19 year old
Yeah, but apart from that?

Grendel

Think some of us forget just how good Dabo has been for us. Until his injury,he was one of the first names on the team sheet.
He has had some mamoth performances, he will come good again.

I'm not so sure, he seems to have lost pace - I think he is finding the Championship more difficult than we thought he would

stupot07

Think some of us forget just how good Dabo has been for us. Until his injury,he was one of the first names on the team sheet.
He has had some mamoth performances, he will come good again.
I don't think anyone has forgotten that, but he has also had no competition for his place over the last few seasons. Kane has what 5-6 assists (incl. The own goal v Peterborough) and a goal in a very short space of time, which cannot be ignored. Dabo needs to win back his place, it shouldn't automatically be his.

junglej13

In Dabo's defence it seems he has been rushed back from injury on a number of occasions so has struggled to maintain a level of fitness. Hopefully now we have a couple of other options at right wing back he can come back fully fit.

shmmeee

Either Dabo hasn’t been fit since his injury in L1, or he’s not stepped up like many thought he would.

long way home

It's a perfect signing that gives us balance and flexibility to the left hand side of the field. As he can play as a left side of a back 3, LB, LWB or LM. He will give Reid, Burroughs time to develop and create a battle come summer for the back up spot.

His runs forward will come more frequently the more minutes he has in his legs. If they don't, it's not because he can't, it's cus his experience tells him the ones that give him the highest percentage of creating a chance depending on what's in front of him. Sometimes not running holds a opposition player which creates space. Sometimes he will run to keep the opposition honest, by doing this it can create uncertainty with an opposition which is only a benefit to us on when he goes. Other than that it could be determined on his own players touch which is when his experience and knowledge comes into play.

Good signing, solid pro that gives MR options and depth in multiple positions. To get him on a free is a very good bit of business.

Last edited:

fernandopartridge

I'm not so sure, he seems to have lost pace - I think he is finding the Championship more difficult than we thought he would
I don't think it's helped that he's had a number of injuries where he's been brought back into the team more quickly than he maybe should have been. He's still a decent player for us though, his general link up play with O'Hare in particular is very good.

Ccfcisparks

Surprised peoples comments about Dabo, yes hes been poor this season, but last year he was one of our main attacking outlets.

long way home

Maatsen from 7 years of age has been coached at a top clubs. He will be very capable of playing higher up the field, he's already a good player with decent experience for a young age. He will only get better and stronger and will end up playing at the very top in my opinion.

SlowerThanPlatt

If that transpires to be the case then I imagine Chelsea will be a little more reluctant to loan us young players in future. I think we bought in Bidwell as both a short-term fix (to cover for Maatsen during his injury) and as a long-term one (so we finally own a LWB), and I'm sure he's the starter next season. But Chelsea expect us to play Maatsen more weeks than not, and so long as he's in competitive form I would expect we do that, to protect our relationship with them if nothing else.

The competition for his spot should push him on further. When he goes back to Chelsea his only competition isn’t going to be a 19 year old who the manager doesn’t want to play

Users who are viewing this thread