Biamou (1 Viewer)

ceetee

I like Biamou and think a lot of the criticism he gets is misjudged, but he hasn't scored and I accept the point that he may have lost confidence and deserve a rest.
The problem is that the style of play will have to change without his contribution. The midfield will have to play further forward and play through-balls to feet. Strangely two of the best examples of that which I have seen this season were the two that Biamou himself played at Luton that led to the two second half goals

Nick

Administrator
I like Biamou and think a lot of the criticism he gets is misjudged, but he hasn't scored and I accept the point that he may have lost confidence and deserve a rest.
The problem is that the style of play will have to change without his contribution. The midfield will have to play further forward and play through-balls to feet. Strangely two of the best examples of that which I have seen this season were the two that Biamou himself played at Luton that led to the two second half goals
That's the thing, we don't adjust when he doesn't play. Yesterday we kept hoofing it to ponticelli, he isn't that player. He needs to be put clean through to finish.

stevefloyd

That's the thing, we don't adjust when he doesn't play. Yesterday we kept hoofing it to ponticelli, he isn't that player. He needs to be put clean through to finish.
Even with players like Crouch if its 2 feet above his head he aint gonna do much with it

Esoterica

Exactly the same as we did for the first half when Beavon was on against Carlisle. I don't think we have the players at a L2 level to play 4-4-2 with two short finishers like McNulty and Ponti, in combination with an out an out defensive midfielder. Conversely we haven't had enough quality from wide areas to play with a target man who we expect to score goals - our crossing has generally been terrible. Biamou is literally just there as an outlet for Doyle and the defense to clear towards. It's been part of the problem all season - we don't seem to have a clue what our plan for scoring is, unless we're on the counter attack.

steve82

I think robins doesn't have much choice as he needs someone big upfront to hussle. Biamou does that and works hard but the fact he can't even chip in with he odd goal means there is huge pressure on mcNulty for goals.

Robins has some critical decisions to make in this window and if he gets it wrong it will be another season in L2 and the budget will reduce next season.

Complete side question but what makes you think the budget would be less next summer to last summer?

Revenue streams should still be the same?

It's only the checkatrade prize money the difference yet we will have no Turnbull or Reid on the books next summer like we had last summer so all evens out generally.

AFCCOVENTRY

Complete side question but what makes you think the budget would be less next summer to last summer?

It's only the checkatrade prize money the difference yet we will have no Turnbull or Reid on the books next summer like we had last summer so all evens out generally.

I think there is some kind of parachute payment when you get relegated. Not like the Premiership. I might be wrong but that's what I heard.

Terry Gibson's perm

I would also say that our fan base is pretty old as so we will have a few dropping off the far end and not many replacing

steve82

I think there is some kind of parachute payment when you get relegated. Not like the Premiership. I might be wrong but that's what I heard.

Thank you, I've learned something new...
On a quick search you are correct, there is a basic award payed to Clubs from the EFL. I think it's £472,000 for League two clubs and league one it's £677,000 and we'd receive 12.6% of that for one season.

So there would be a slight reduction, but like I said counter that with Turnbull and Reid being off the wage next summer as opposed to last it may not be much different

I would also say that our fan base is pretty old as so we will have a few dropping off the far end and not many replacing

Over a period of 5/10 years I'd agree but season to season ageing fans falling away wouldn't be a huge amount I think.

Terry Gibson's perm

On a quick search you are correct, there is a basic award payed to Clubs from the EFL. I think it's £472,000 for League two clubs and league one it's £677,000 and we'd receive 12.6% of that for one season.

So there would be a slight reduction, but like I said counter that with Turnbull and Reid being off the wage next summer as opposed to last it may not be much different

Over a period of 5/10 years I'd agree but season to season ageing fans falling away wouldn't be a huge amount I think.

I don’t know a lot of flu about

JulianDarbyFTW

So there would be a slight reduction, but like I said counter that with Turnbull and Reid being off the wage next summer as opposed to last .

Over the summer it stood out that a number of signings were on 2 year deals. Suggests to me this was a 2 year or bust kind of plan to go up - ideally 1 though, of course.

Edit because my kid was distracting me: my point being that surely we wouldn't make the mistake of over-stretching the budget again. Or would we..?

Otis

But if we don't go up this season I can see attendances dropping next season.

Liquid Gold

I like Biamou but he was poor yesterday. I was astounded he didn’t put that chance away. The problem is he’s essential to the way we play. When he went off we lost control of the ball and Exeter dominated our strikers. People say play Ponticelli but McNulty needs a target man to play off and, as our biggest goal threat, we need him over Ponti. We should be on the lookout for a player just like Max that can just score.

Adge

But if we don't go up this season I can see attendances dropping next season.
Yeah. They will probably still budget for 10,000 though every week.:emoji_rolling_eyes:

Irish Sky Blue

Not sure why MR is persisting with him...is Beavon injured?
I wouldn’t criticise Beavon too much as I don’t think we play to his strengths, however his contribution to games is much less than Biamou’s. He played well yesterday and gave their defence a torrid time. I felt we were much less effective when he went off. I think you have to focus on his contribution to the overall functionality of the team as well as his goal scoring (or lack of it). I feel that we look more effective and more likely to score when he is on the pitch. Yes he does need to start scoring but if the team are better with him playing putting the ball in the net isn’t the only thing to consider.

Terry Gibson's perm

I wouldn’t criticise Beavon too much as I don’t think we play to his strengths, however his contribution to games is much less than Biamou’s. He played well yesterday and gave their defence a torrid time. I felt we were much less effective when he went off. I think you have to focus on his contribution to the overall functionality of the team as well as his goal scoring (or lack of it). I feel that we look more effective and more likely to score when he is on the pitch. Yes he does need to start scoring but if the team are better with him playing putting the ball in the net isn’t the only thing to consider.

We can’t play to Beavons strengths as he doesn’t have any.

Terry Gibson's perm

I think he is quite a clever player when you play it to his feet and give him options.

The little pace he had has gone and he doesn’t score he would be another one we are carrying, I can’t beli I am going to say it but I would pick Biamou before him.

Otis

I think he is quite a clever player when you play it to his feet and give him options.
He is.

You have to have the right system to accommodate him though and I don't think we have that. Not sure where we could slot him in. We need goals and he is not a goal getter.

eastwoodsdustman

Did anyone else who went on Saturday think that Robins took the wrong player off on Saturday when Biamou was removed? Personally I'd have taken Maguire-Drew off. We lost all of our attacking ability when he went off. We were actually creating a fair bit up until that point mainly from headers by Biamou. Nobody's mentioned that Exeter took Seabourne off at half time as he'd won nothing against Biamou in the first half. He should have finished one in the first half but we were much poorer when he went off.

Terry Gibson's perm

He is.

You have to have the right system to accommodate him though and I don't think we have that. Not sure where we could slot him in. We need goals and he is not a goal getter.

Otis I have just seen a miracle on YouTube a Stuart Beavon goal at the Ricoh unfortunately it was for Preston in the hot comeback game

oucho

There you go, told you it had to happen eventually! No reason to moan now!

BackRoomRummermill

One swan does not make a summer, I will turn it round for you ..... if he poked in a few goals we would be in the top 3 cemented this has been the difference. But today credit he scored today a wonder goal but he needs to chip in.

Users who are viewing this thread