Ben Stevenson - Brentford (1 Viewer)

trevelfarandwide

Norwich hope they have picked up a player for little money that they can sell on, he is probably costing them little in wages currently and they maybe getting a loan fee. If they get promoted and he is no use with the money they would have they wouldn't even notice and they could sell him on to another championship club.
£1.5 million ? So with the million projected profit Fishers been on about and now being cash flow positive that's 2.5 million in the kitty, can't be bad.

Well, we'll be lucky to get £100 000 for transfers, a bit towards the budget, and the rest will slide effortlessly into SISU's Recoup Fund.

mrtrench

I won't make the obvious points about building a team for the future or reinvesting to get promoted because it won't happen.

However, Brentford being interested is good for the price IMO. I can't believe there's not a premier league side who don't fancy a punt on him and they would pay as little as they can get away with. A marker in the ground from a side in which he'll actually get a game means we'll get more when he goes.

Captain Dart

The thing is, will he be playing? For Bigi in playing terms his move was a disaster. Even with Maddison, it does not seem as if all has gone to plan. Norwich signed him on a 3 and a half year contract. The first 6 months spent here. The next year spent in Scotland. Yes he playing but at a standard that is probably not much higher than here. What happens next year to him if Norwich still don't feel he will push for their first team. If they were promoted I couldn't see him in their first team. I am not sure what Norwich get from this deal.
What is more the canny bastards at Norwich may have negotiated appearance bonuses that do not trigger for Scottish games. ;)

westofrayne

Anybody wondering where the '1 million profit' (yes I know its not pure profit but Fishface doesn't back up his statements) was going to come from hopefully will now see it would be from player sales, There will be no or very little put back for the playing side budget, as per the last few 'big' sales the money will be used the stabilize the finances of the club. We all hate it but its a model this club has used for years and will not change. Fishface's remit is to stabilize the finances of the club and if possible make a profit, to the owners that is all they need at the moment, a club not making a loss.

Can't see just BS leaving, my guess there will be others, just hope RS has some capable low paid replacements in mind.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
We were a selling club in the old div 1 days, the premiership days and no different now, that's not Fishers fault or SISU (and I am not a fan of them).

Ask yourself the same question if you are the footballer, do you want to challenge yourself and play with better players, maybe play in a higher league, earn ten times the amount you do now for doing the same job and if any good at it, maybe fifty times the amount now.

If he goes for 1.5m having only played the games he has now with a big sell on clause then that is good business, look at Bigi, was he really worth what we received for him.

I would love to see him stay but Wallace, Keane, Gillespie, Babb, Danny Thomas, Maddison, I could add many more, but it is the way of the players now, and our owners but are we going to enforce the 4 year deal to keep him.

We should be thankful that the club and player agreed the 4 year deal, probably with a release clause at 1.5m just a few months ago, we could have lost him for a lot less if this had not been done. It may not be nice, but we have to maximise the benefit from the sale of these players, other clubs do, and we have lost others for a lot less in the past.

Terry Gibson's perm

We were a selling club in the old div 1 days, the premiership days and no different now, that's not Fishers fault or SISU (and I am not a fan of them).

Ask yourself the same question if you are the footballer, do you want to challenge yourself and play with better players, maybe play in a higher league, earn ten times the amount you do now for doing the same job and if any good at it, maybe fifty times the amount now.

If he goes for 1.5m having only played the games he has now with a big sell on clause then that is good business, look at Bigi, was he really worth what we received for him.

I would love to see him stay but Wallace, Keane, Gillespie, Babb, Danny Thomas, Maddison, I could add many more, but it is the way of the players now, and our owners but are we going to enforce the 4 year deal to keep him.

We should be thankful that the club and player agreed the 4 year deal, probably with a release clause at 1.5m just a few months ago, we could have lost him for a lot less if this had not been done. It may not be nice, but we have to maximise the benefit from the sale of these players, other clubs do, and we have lost others for a lot less in the past.

Other clubs sell but try to put sine back in to the playing side can't see that happening here

Irish Sky Blue

If it was to the benefit of the club I would agree. Don't think it is though.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
Don't disagree with you guys but it's what we are stuck with for now and can only hope we have more youngsters like them to keep coming through.

torchomatic

It is for us. I'm not sure that other clubs let their best players go so easily and so quickly. Is this the optimum moment for him to leave when he has really moved us on as far as he can and where his value is the highest that we can get it to? I don't think so. Also how much of the fee will realistically be given to Slade? If it is simply to make sure Sisu don't lose money then the team have lost a very good player for little or no gain.

Peterborough do. That's how they survive. Buy cheap, sell big. Look at the list of players they've sold over the last few years.

Stevenson would be silly to move this early in his career, but money talks.

higgs

If he doesn't start today hes on his way like sordell I guess

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Glen

Does the fee really matter in this case or what ben wants. Shitsu are robbing bastards anyway they dontcareabout us or the players. So they will get whatever they can and don't care where from and keep the money.

mrtrench

Every club sells players and so every club is a selling club. The difference between then and now is that previously we hung onto players until it made sense to sell - for our benefit. What we do now is sell immediately that anyone has any value. And over the past few years the only value we have is the kids coming through - we sell potential & sell immediately before they contribute fully to any football success. I know that football success isn't a priority for our owners simply because we do this over and over again. We are becoming Crewe. If it stays like this we will have all of the footballing success of Crewe.

Astute

The thing is, will he be playing? For Bigi in playing terms his move was a disaster. Even with Maddison, it does not seem as if all has gone to plan. Norwich signed him on a 3 and a half year contract. The first 6 months spent here. The next year spent in Scotland. Yes he playing but at a standard that is probably not much higher than here. What happens next year to him if Norwich still don't feel he will push for their first team. If they were promoted I couldn't see him in their first team. I am not sure what Norwich get from this deal.
I used the word 'if' a few times. So did you.

You can't say for him that he would be better off staying or going. But for us almost sure him staying would be best. But it isn't us paying the bills.

Sky Blue Kid

You do realize the decision is not down to the players when they are under contract? If a club decides to sell a player, the player has very little choice in the matter.
Wrong mate. if a player is on a long-ish contract, he can refuse to move, and just keep picking up his (Contracted wage)

Captain Dart

Every club sells players and so every club is a selling club. The difference between then and now is that previously we hung onto players until it made sense to sell - for our benefit. What we do now is sell immediately that anyone has any value. And over the past few years the only value we have is the kids coming through - we sell potential & sell immediately before they contribute fully to any football success. I know that football success isn't a priority for our owners simply because we do this over and over again. We are becoming Crewe. If it stays like this we will have all of the footballing success of Crewe.
Crewe hold/held onto players if it suited.
They do not seem to have had much success in the transfer market recently.
Dean Ashton - Wikipedia
Nick Powell - Wikipedia
Ashley Westwood (footballer, born 1990) - Wikipedia
Luke Murphy - Wikipedia

Sky Blue Kid

Winston Bogarde at Chelsea between 2000-2004, played only 9 games and was surplus to requirements at the club, particularly because of his high salary. So while the club did try and get rid of him, he refused to go anywhere. He stayed at the club until his contract finished and retired following those 4 years at Stamford Bridge. He said " Why should I throw fifteen million Euro away when it is already mine? At the moment I signed it was in fact my money, my contract. This world is about money, so when you are offered those millions, you take them. Few people will ever earn so many. I am one of the fortunate few who do. I may be one of the worst buys in the history of the Premiership, but I don't care".

tom88

I agree that we need to build for the future but at the end of the day we are a struggling league 1 team and needs must are now!

The only benefit we have from selling these players on early is sell on clauses

I would much rather us sell our younger players so we can compete in league one and looking at play offs.

mrtrench

I agree that we need to build for the future but at the end of the day we are a struggling league 1 team and needs must are now!

The only benefit we have from selling these players on early is sell on clauses

I would much rather us sell our younger players so we can compete in league one and looking at play offs.

IF we invested the money in the team then I'd agree, but we don't. £1m profit Fisher says - the Madison money. And by stating it as profit he's making it very clear: this money will not be invested in the team.

tisza

Peterborough do. That's how they survive. Buy cheap, sell big. Look at the list of players they've sold over the last few years.

Stevenson would be silly to move this early in his career, but money talks.
I do like the Peterborough model. Very open plain speaking senior management - Fry & MacAnthony.
Acknowlege the limitations of the club's potential (big in league 1, too small financially for Championship) so compensate by having a commitment to attacking, entertaining football.

Esoterica

Winston Bogarde at Chelsea between 2000-2004, played only 9 games and was surplus to requirements at the club, particularly because of his high salary. So while the club did try and get rid of him, he refused to go anywhere. He stayed at the club until his contract finished and retired following those 4 years at Stamford Bridge. He said " Why should I throw fifteen million Euro away when it is already mine? At the moment I signed it was in fact my money, my contract. This world is about money, so when you are offered those millions, you take them. Few people will ever earn so many. I am one of the fortunate few who do. I may be one of the worst buys in the history of the Premiership, but I don't care".
Mr Myopic looking through the wrong end of his telescope again. Are you really supporting your argument by referencing a 15 year old story about a 30 year old international at Chelsea on a 10 million contract? Stevenson's a 19 year old with 20 league one appearances in a different era of football at a basketcase of a football club. His choice is a choice in name only.

Sky Blue Kid

Mr Myopic looking through the wrong end of his telescope again. Are you really supporting your argument by referencing a 15 year old story about a 30 year old international at Chelsea on a 10 million contract? Stevenson's a 19 year old with 20 league one appearances in a different era of football at a basketcase of a football club. His choice is a choice in name only.
You sure you're not Nick? I've simply pointed out that Singers-pore was wrong. 15 years ago or 15 minutes, the principle is still the same, but hey-ho, you keep on arguing differenty about a FACT..... And talking about facts, posters on here are wanting 30+ year olds at our Club.... Are they Myopic too?
Brings me on to Freddy Eastwood... On a fooking good contract with us, told to lose weight, didn't, still collected his wage at the end of the month though. Same principle refusing to do something that benefits the Football Club.

torchomatic

You sure you're not Nick? I've simply pointed out that Singers-pore was wrong. 15 years ago or 15 minutes, the principle is still the same, but hey-ho, you keep on arguing differenty about a FACT..... And talking about facts, posters on here are wanting 30+ year olds at our Club.... Are they Myopic too?

What do you think of the new signings?

shmmeee

Hadn't he already been sold for £800K to someone else last week?

He's a good player but some of these kids need to realise that when they're so young a couple of years of regular first team football is better for them in the long term.

I doubt it's them pushing for a move.

torchomatic

What has "What I think of new signings" got to do with my post?... What do YOU think of new signings?

Just asking you a question. I think the new signings are excellent. TBH, didn't expect you to have an opinion on anything positive.

Esoterica

Brings me on to Freddy Eastwood... On a fooking good contract with us, told to lose weight, didn't, still collected his wage at the end of the month though. Same principle refusing to do something that benefits the Football Club.
Your latest wikipedia copy + paste might be a fact but the circumstances between Bogarde and Stevenson are so far removed from each other that it's completely irrelevant to the topic of the thread. Players only control their stay/departure at the very top of their game or ambition, 99% of the time it's all about the club - which is why you've had to go back 15 years for an example and why that example is so infamous.
Your arguments are always the same:
* Counter a point with something irrelevant.
* Google a very leading question.
* Copy and paste your search results here to support your counterpoint.
* Feel like you've won an argument because you've supplied 'supporting' evidence.
* Completely miss that your counterpoint is irrelevant.
* Throw in a bunch of your own irrelevant questions.
* Get frothy and expletive-laden when people don't answer your irrelevances.
* Thread derailed!

Sky Blue Kid

Your latest wikipedia copy + paste might be a fact but the circumstances between Bogarde and Stevenson are so far removed from each other that it's completely irrelevant to the topic of the thread. Players only control their stay/departure at the very top of their game or ambition, 99% of the time it's all about the club - which is why you've had to go back 15 years for an example and why that example is so infamous.
Your arguments are always the same:
* Counter a point with something irrelevant.
* Google a very leading question.
* Copy and paste your search results here to support your counterpoint.
* Feel like you've won an argument because you've supplied 'supporting' evidence.
* Completely miss that your counterpoint is irrelevant.
* Throw in a bunch of your own irrelevant questions.
* Get frothy and expletive-laden when people don't answer your irrelevances.
* Thread derailed!
Wow!... You ever thought about writing Sci-Fi books or films? you'd be really good.
Nothing is "Irrelevant" They are "Points of fact" The only person "Derailing the thread is YOU.

Irish Sky Blue

I used the word 'if' a few times. So did you.

You can't say for him that he would be better off staying or going. But for us almost sure him staying would be best. But it isn't us paying the bills.
If you buy a ticket you are paying the bills. As I see it, it is only the fans putting money in. Sisu have their own NOPM policy.

Calista

100% agree.

If Stevenson goes for 1.5 million just to cover the losses and bring in a couple of lower-league journeymen, maybe I have to accept it but I find it impossible to enthuse about it. Yet people on this thread are cheerfully debating how much we should ask for, and we’ve even got the Peterborough model being put forward as something to get excited about. This is Coventry City FFS, and when Brentford come knocking we want to bite their hands off?

The likes of Wilson, Maddison and Stevenson should be in our first team for a minimum of 3 or 4 years, and young people in the city might even choose to support their local team. Special talents should only be sold on when a massive club makes it impossible for both the player and the club to say no.

What we have instead is short-termism, and even Fisher says it’s a terrible way to run a business. As Chairman, he should be making the case to the investors to change it, not going on the radio and gloating about cutting the budget.

Slade has his work cut out, but he seems like a good man for our present circumstances, and I hope he works miracles.

Sky Blue Kid

100% agree.

If Stevenson goes for 1.5 million just to cover the losses and bring in a couple of lower-league journeymen, maybe I have to accept it but I find it impossible to enthuse about it. Yet people on this thread are cheerfully debating how much we should ask for, and we’ve even got the Peterborough model being put forward as something to get excited about. This is Coventry City FFS, and when Brentford come knocking we want to bite their hands off?

The likes of Wilson, Maddison and Stevenson should be in our first team for a minimum of 3 or 4 years, and young people in the city might even choose to support their local team. Special talents should only be sold on when a massive club makes it impossible for both the player and the club to say no.

What we have instead is short-termism, and even Fisher says it’s a terrible way to run a business. As Chairman, he should be making the case to the investors to change it, not going on the radio and gloating about cutting the budget.

Slade has his work cut out, but he seems like a good man for our present circumstances, and I hope he works miracles.

Totally agree with this post, SISU tend to take the first offer if Ben Turner valuation is to be believed.(£750k Coventry to Cardiff)

higgs

Be nice to sign Turner now that we have good relations with Burton albion

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread