Transfer Rumour Ben Sheaf (5 Viewers)

Winny the Bish

Watched a full Doncaster game from last season on YT to take a look at Sheaf and he does look more of a Kelly-type. Here's a mini scouting report...

Pros:
- Experience playing the position he'll play for us
- Knows where to be when team is in and out of possession
- VERY comfortable on the ball, quick thinker and one-touch passer
- Made at least 5 big interceptions to stop attacks
- Good with both feet (nearly scored a left-foot volley from 20 yards)

Cons:
- Not a great athlete
- Not a great one-on-one defender, players can skip past him
- Quite a languid style, can take his time to close down or offer himself as an outlet. Think this is where he gets his "lazy" tag from. Doesn't do a lot of sprinting.

EDIT: Also he beat Richard Wood in the air twice and that's sealed it for me. #WelcomeBen

Last edited:

Great_Expectations

As the majority of us have said this will be a great signing and another show of intent for the future.

I think he’s a future Kelly replacement, but I wouldn’t expect him to oust Kelly immediately - he deserves a chance at the Championship and his quiet influence was a key part of our success last season and will be again this. I get the arguements about his slow pace, and he does seems ponderous but that’s his style as opposed to a weakness. Saying that I think he’ll play less as the intensity of the season goes on.

Either way, great signing (if it happens).

Evo1883

Il wait and see before I get excited
giphy.gif

Mucca Mad Boys

It’s probably worth noting that Sheaf can also play CB. Which may be of use whilst we have a few injuries.

Reactions: vow

mr_monkey

Not to mention he's actually played a full season of men's football unlike Garner who has made a handful of cameo appearances for United and only that.

Also with a loan the parent club would probably insist on them playing week in/week out which I don't think would happen here straight away for a new cdm

Skybluedownunder

Out of Garner/Shead/Field – Sheaf is a better fit for the position/role we need to cover (AKA the one and only Kelly).

For me it would be Garner all the way. Just found a page on insta where Doncaster fans were saying would you want Sheaf back and they all said nah no thanks he’s shit

Plus his whole attitude and wage demands have pissed me off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sky Blue Pete

Alan Nixon
@reluctantnicko
·
18m
It is very much alive
Quote Tweet

Daniel Terry
@DanTerry1411
· 18m
Replying to @reluctantnicko
@reluctantnicko heard that Ben sheaf to cov is finalised can you confirm?

junglej13

The formation we play I dont think its inconceivable that we bring in Sheaf and one other DCM. If that happens Id like to see Eccles go out on loan somewhere.

mr_monkey

For me it would be Garner all the way. Just found a page on insta where Doncaster fans were saying would you want Sheaf back and they all said nah no thanks he’s shit

So you are pissed off by something that you have no evidence of other than some Twitter stuff posted by people who have been proven wrong loads of times 😂

Evo1883

Doncaster fans? The same Donny fans that said marosi was shit? Must be true

Hadji's_Goatee

It's hard but try not to get sucked into thinking we know what went on behind the scenes. If he was holding us over a barrel then we wouldn't be signing him – so you have to assume his 'wage demands' weren't outlandish or breaking the structure. Let's see.

He was prob just pushing back to get the best deal for himself. I'm sure the exact thing went on with O'hare – that seemed to go on a while, we just didn't get hear any rumours about it – except that he is probably one of the highest-paid at the club now.

O'hare and Sheaf are a similar age, both left/leaving prem clubs, same sort of loan experience, so wages will prob not be far apart.

Sky Blue Harry H

For me it would be Garner all the way.

1) Just found a page on insta where Doncaster fans were saying would you want Sheaf back and they all said nah no thanks he’s shit

2) Plus his whole attitude and wage demands have pissed me off

1) Fans regularly turn on someone/don't rate them, when they know they're not getting them

2) Hearsay from social media (hardly reliable)

KenilworthSkyBlue

Personally I can't see how opinions on a Instagram account bare more weight than those of Mark Robins, an actual football manager with an excellent record in the transfer market.

Winny the Bish

Thread from a Doncaster forum:

'Agree. He's got the technical ability. Might take a few games but should be a long term quality signing wherever he ends up playing and would be a good Walsh replacement for them.'

'I thought he was developing into a great asset to the team. It would be a tremendous acquisition if we could get him back.'

'I really rate Sheaf and in all honesty if the Coventry move comes off I’ll be gutted, would have loved him back at KMS.'

Yes, he has detractors in there too, but for context there's also someone in there who's unsure if Ben Wiseman would make the step up and Championship clubs are bidding near £2m for him.

Skybluedownunder

so a totally different view to those on the Doncaster forum

The page I read it off was a tagged picture of Ben Sheaf from 7 weeks ago when they were looking to sign him on a page called @drfc_news2 and then just a couple of fans said they weren’t keen on getting him back

Mucca Mad Boys

I’d rather sign a player who is contracted to us for 2-3 years than a loanee who is here for 1 season. This is where we’ve gotten the transfer market so wrong in the past.

Frostie

You have no clue about his attitude or wage demands.

Plus read these Doncaster posts about him, overwhelmingly positive

Skybluedownunder

It's hard but try not to get sucked into thinking we know what went on behind the scenes. If he was holding us over a barrel then we wouldn't be signing him – so you have to assume his 'wage demands' weren't outlandish or breaking the structure. Let's see.

He was prob just pushing back to get the best deal for himself. I'm sure the exact thing went on with O'hare – that seemed to go on a while, we just didn't get hear any rumours about it – except that he is probably one of the highest-paid at the club now.

O'hare and Sheaf are a similar age, both left/leaving prem clubs, same sort of loan experience, so wages will prob not be far apart.

Yeah fair comment, sometimes it’s hard not to get sucked into hearing wage demands, you hope at this stage of his career he wants to kick on, we can only hope he does the business and turns out to be one of Robins better signings, especially if it ends up being a permanent deal as opposed to a loan as it’s not often we spend big money

Users who are viewing this thread