Transfer Rumour Ben Sheaf (2 Viewers)

robbiekeane

So: assuming this is done. If Callum Wilson goes for £30m tomorrow and we get £3-4m to spend. Where would people spend it?

I honestly can't identify a position. Maybe a young keeper but that's not £4m worth. I'd be tempted to say pay the bills and/or save it for the future. When was the last time you could say that about a CCFC squad? I honestly can't remember it in my lifetime.
I agree with you. I'd bank it an reassess in January. Obviously all of the frothers would be complaining about Joys handbag collection but that could set us up for next summer transfer window.

KenilworthSkyBlue

So: assuming this is done. If Callum Wilson goes for £30m tomorrow and we get £3-4m to spend. Where would people spend it?

I honestly can't identify a position. Maybe a young keeper but that's not £4m worth. I'd be tempted to say pay the bills and/or save it for the future. When was the last time you could say that about a CCFC squad? I honestly can't remember it in my lifetime.

It sounds incredibly dull but I feel a proportion of the money earned from the Wilson deal should be put towards ensuring the financial sustainability of the club this season and plugging the revenue gap left by the drop in crowds, sponsorship, food and beverage, hospitality etc. The timing of Wilson being sold couldn't have arrived at a better time and I hope we utilise and allocate some of these funds to benefit the clubs' longevity.

But, that being said I think we'd be wise to allocate some funds for the January transfer window as well. If we happen to find ourselves struggling in the league, new faces will inevitably be needed.

Didn't Robins also mention that he is looking to bring in three more signings, but two of those were considered as 'maybes'. Perhaps the two extra players signing was conditional on whether Wilson was sold? Only speculating of course.

mark82

Personally I’d like Luke Garbutt at LWB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, a wing back would be good. Maybe someone young and versatile who can cover both sides. Would be good whilst Dacosta is out.

I'd be tempted to go with another young CDM and/or a young striker for development.

jackdg

What seems to be missed in this ‘wage demands’ nonsense... good on him if he’s asked for high wages. If you go into a new job and don’t ask for more than you think you’re worth you’re missing a trick!

Not that any of us knows what the hold up was or if there even was a hold up at all.

I wouldn’t have a clue what a ‘normal’ transfer looks like from a timeline perspective. Sounds like we were talking to Hamer and Hilssner 6-9 months ago

Legia Sky Blue

Ironically, it's the original Ranson transfer policy weirdly: buy the best from L1 and develop them in the Championship. Execpt we only seemed to do it with WEstwood Dann and Fox then forgot all about it.

Keogh and Baker were also signings from League 1 I think. Gunnarsson also fitted in with the young European based player with potential type we are also looking at, so a bit like Hamer.

mark82

Still without a club isn't he? I was googling him yesterday and only seen him linked with L1 teams, is he good enough?

He's 27, so wouldn't be for development. I know fans have thrown his name round a lot but I've not seen or heard anything linking him with CCFC.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Keogh and Baker were also signings from League 1 I think. Gunnarsson also fitted in with the young European based player with potential type we are also looking at, so a bit like Hamer.

Don't forget Lukas Jutkiewicz! I think we bought him off Everton for around the £100k mark, rising to £300k after a certain amount of years, and then sold him in a deal worth up to a reported £2.3m. Disastrous timing when he was sold but a great deal from a financial point of view.

AFCCOVENTRY

From ScoutXD

Ben Sheaf(22) English central midfielder that spent last season on loan at Doncaster Rovers from Arsenal and has been heavily linked to Coventry. Combative number 6 that formed a great partnership in midfield with Ben Whiteman for Doncaster. Sheafs role for Doncaster involved him playing in a double pivot where he was the 6 and Whiteman was the 8. Sheaf reads the game excellently and is great at breaking up attacks and recycling possession. Physically Sheaf is great and has very good upper body strength to protect the ball and win it back. Sheaf moves across the pitch very quickly and is usually first to second balls. Technically Ben Sheaf is extremely good, he has a great passing range and can play diagonal balls wide to wingers if he spots an overload or he can just recycle possession and play a 10-15 yard pass into a more advanced midfielder. When receiving the ball Sheaf opens his body and looks to go forward, this gives him a bigger view of the pitch and a lot more passing options which would benefit Coventry given the attacking options they can have at times. If a deal can be done for anything less than £1m, I think it would be great business for Coventry as they would be getting a player that’s ready for championship football at 22 and has good sell on value. In my opinion Sheaf would be a great fit for Coventry playing next to Gustavo Hamer, as he would give a lot more mobility and dynamism compared to Liam Kelly whilst acting as a ‘destroyer’ in Coventrys midfield two.

SleepyGinger

Don't forget Lukas Jutkiewicz! I think we bought him off Everton for around the £100k mark, rising to £300k after a certain amount of years, and then sold him in a deal worth up to a reported £2.3m. Disastrous timing when he was sold but a great deal from a financial point of view.

I always thought we paid a mil for juke box? Might be wrong

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
It sounds incredibly dull but I feel a proportion of the money earned from the Wilson deal should be put towards ensuring the financial sustainability of the club this season and plugging the revenue gap left by the drop in crowds, sponsorship, food and beverage, hospitality etc. The timing of Wilson being sold couldn't have arrived at a better time and I hope we utilise and allocate some of these funds to benefit the clubs' longevity.

But, that being said I think we'd be wise to allocate some funds for the January transfer window as well. If we happen to find ourselves struggling in the league, new faces will inevitably be needed.

Didn't Robins also mention that he is looking to bring in three more signings, but two of those were considered as 'maybes'. Perhaps the two extra players signing was conditional on whether Wilson was sold? Only speculating of course.
This completely. It could also help us reject potential suitors.

I'm guilty feeling giddy seeing all these signings, but keep having to remind myself that staying up is still success this season.

KenilworthSkyBlue

I always thought we paid a mil for juke box? Might be wrong

This is from the Coventry Telegraph in 2012, hardly a source of accurate knowledge but it also claims here £100k rising to £300k.

These figures are also what I heard at the time of him signing from an ex-board member.

Last edited:

Evo1883

From ScoutXD

Ben Sheaf(22) English central midfielder that spent last season on loan at Doncaster Rovers from Arsenal and has been heavily linked to Coventry. Combative number 6 that formed a great partnership in midfield with Ben Whiteman for Doncaster. Sheafs role for Doncaster involved him playing in a double pivot where he was the 6 and Whiteman was the 8. Sheaf reads the game excellently and is great at breaking up attacks and recycling possession. Physically Sheaf is great and has very good upper body strength to protect the ball and win it back. Sheaf moves across the pitch very quickly and is usually first to second balls. Technically Ben Sheaf is extremely good, he has a great passing range and can play diagonal balls wide to wingers if he spots an overload or he can just recycle possession and play a 10-15 yard pass into a more advanced midfielder. When receiving the ball Sheaf opens his body and looks to go forward, this gives him a bigger view of the pitch and a lot more passing options which would benefit Coventry given the attacking options they can have at times. If a deal can be done for anything less than £1m, I think it would be great business for Coventry as they would be getting a player that’s ready for championship football at 22 and has good sell on value. In my opinion Sheaf would be a great fit for Coventry playing next to Gustavo Hamer, as he would give a lot more mobility and dynamism compared to Liam Kelly whilst acting as a ‘destroyer’ in Coventrys midfield two.

IL be excited to see hamer get a little more freedom like Walsh had last season... Hard to impose himself on matches when he's sitting as deep as he is, Kelly or sheaf will allow him that

PVA

Every time I convince myself there is zero chance of Walsh joining I come on here and see his name mentioned and start thinking.... what if?

We need to ban all mentions of his name it's killing me!

mr_monkey

Every time I convince myself there is zero chance of Walsh joining I come on here and see his name mentioned and start thinking.... what if?

We need to ban all mentions of his name it's killing me!

We aren't getting Walsh, even robins said that hamer is the Walsh replacement, the two of them couldnt play in the 2 CMD roles and we probably couldn't afford him

Next summer it may be a different story but right now it isn't happening and we have other areas we need to strengthen

Evo1883

I'd be very surprised.

Hamer looks very good in his own right, but Walsh was just phenomenal. Better than Maddison was for us in League One.

Yes but had an extremely ropey start... Hamer looks good too

Users who are viewing this thread