Ben Sheaf future (1 Viewer)

Joy Division

Where did this obligation to buy thing come from? Anyone got an example of other players who've been signed in that way? I know loans have an option to buy but this is the first I've heard of obligation to buy

The same deal we had with JCH when he was on loan with us I believe

chiefdave

I think the club would have mentioned it one way or the other, tbf, the initial announcement of his signing only say it's an option and not an obligation.
Exactly, the quote in the Telegraph was "If certain criteria are met it's an obligation to buy,”. We have no idea that those criteria have been met and the club have released a statement saying his loan has ended and he's gone back.

Marty

Isn’t a transfer embargo a bit misleading? I’m sure you can technically still buy players but you can’t register them

Makes sense, you would be able to do everything but be given clearance to register him, dont most transfers actually come with a *, subject to fa/EFL approval kind of thing?

slowpoke

Why are we still under a transfer embargo apparently the accounts are done and ready just a blip due to the pandemic what is the point in not putting them in, we have been down this road before with this owner.
If I was an agent of a player we were interested in think especially in these unusual times I might be saying hang on a bit.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Why are we still under a transfer embargo apparently the accounts are done and ready just a blip due to the pandemic what is the point in not putting them in, we have been down this road before with this owner.
Could be that they’ve been sent to the auditors who have a backlog with all the other UK companies taking advantage of the extension

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Makes sense, you would be able to do everything but be given clearance to register him, dont most transfers actually come with a *, subject to fa/EFL approval kind of thing?
I’m basing this on Barcelona, they signed someone but he just sat chilling for 6 months whilst they were under an embargo.

Of course UEFA/EFL are different and could
Have different rules - but I’m under the impression it’s the same restrictions

Marty

I’m basing this on Barcelona, they signed someone but he just sat chilling for 6 months whilst they were under an embargo.

Of course UEFA/EFL are different and could
Have different rules - but I’m under the impression it’s the same restrictions

Chelsea were under an embargo for 18 months or so? What happened there?

Bugsy

If I was an agent of a player we were interested in think especially in these unusual times I might be saying hang on a bit.

skybluesam66

1. M robins said it was an obligation in an interview
2. Boddy said the accounts would be filed by end of May in line with HMRC deadlines

Marty

Suppose it depends on how long your embargo is. Barce had 1 transfer window ban. If it’s aah 18 month ban I suppose you’re not going to want to pay someone to do fuck all for 18 months

I assume as soon as we post the accounts, it'll be lifted, having a quick look at the Chelsea situation, it was a 2 window ban, reduced to 1 window, they had 69 breaches of the rules over numerous seasons. They took the piss TBF.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I assume as soon as we post the accounts, it'll be lifted, having a quick look at the Chelsea situation, it was a 2 window ban, reduced to 1 window, they had 69 breaches of the rules over numerous seasons. They took the piss TBF.
I might be wrong of course, but that was my understanding Of the transfer embargo’s

Frostie

Wouldn't read anything into it either way yet.

In 2018's retained list we announced JCH had returned to Rotherham from his loan.
Then on 18th June we announced he'd be joining us permanently but it wasn't until 1st July he officially signed once the window opened.

SeaSeeEffCee

I didn't mind Sheaf but I'd rather have Walsh. Doubt there is too much wiggle room to get out of the deal if it's an obligation to buy though.

D

Deleted member 11652

Wouldn't read anything into it either way yet.

In 2018's retained list we announced JCH had returned to Rotherham from his loan.
Then on 18th June we announced he'd be joining us permanently but it wasn't until 1st July he officially signed once the window opened.

Last year we extended Westbrooke’s contract only to then let him go to Bristol Rovers as well

better days

Where did this obligation to buy thing come from? Anyone got an example of other players who've been signed in that way? I know loans have an option to buy but this is the first I've heard of obligation to buy
It's all a bit strange with Ben Sheaf
My understanding is that he is back with us after he completed his rehab at Arsenal and is going to sign (if he hasn't done so already)
Also David Bremang has been training at Barnsley after doing well against them in an U23 game
Maybe nothing can be official as far as Bremang is concerned until the Championship play offs are completed?

slowpoke

My understanding is that he is back with us after he completed his rehab at Arsenal and is going to sign (if he hasn't done so already)
Also David Bremang has been training at Barnsley after doing well against them in an U23 game
Maybe nothing can be official as far as Bremang is concerned until the Championship play offs are completed?
That is the point the season isn’t over yet we have the play offs to go yet, that’s four clubs in all the EFL divisions not knowing what league they are going to be in.
The Bremang thing is interesting would a premier league Barnsley be still interested in player not able to get near our first team with two of our strikers unfit a lot of the time.

skyblueelephant76

A month ago Barnsley hadn't published their accounts so they may be one of the many clubs like us with the transfer embargo

Terry_dactyl

Are there certain obligations to fulfil? Or is just conjecture on here?
I’m sure it had been reported that the only obligation is the one we have to sign him...

Edit: should have read above. Seems it has been reported. Albeit in the telegraph.

better days

Are there certain obligations to fulfil? Or is just conjecture on here?
I’m sure it had been reported that the only obligation is the one we have to sign him...

Edit: should have read above. Seems it has been reported. Albeit in the telegraph.
West Ham recently signed Benarama from Brentford on a similar basis
After initially agreeing a deal something came up in the medical so it was changed to a loan with an obligation to buy if the suspected problem didn't materialise
Benarama has now been signed permanently
I suspect Sheaf has been subject to a similar arrangement

Yorkshire SB

Leeds had this situation with Augustin - their 'obligation' to buy was dependent on them being promoted, which they were. However they wriggled out of it on a technicality of the contract stating 'promoted by June 30th', and of course they weren't due to the Covid break.

Imagine our survival in the division was when we hit the obligation, but that's just conjecture

cc84cov

Seen the CET article just gone up then talking about number of games he started 23 they wasn’t sure maybe it was 25 before obligation to sign,Turner saying he struggled at times talking about the “get out” of deal etc etc

Sick Boy

Seen the CET article just gone up then talking about number of games he started 23 they wasn’t sure maybe it was 25 before obligation to sign,Turner saying he struggled at times talking about the “get out” of deal etc etc
The CET is just clickbait - chances are he’s going to be signing.

Barnsley

A month ago Barnsley hadn't published their accounts so they may be one of the many clubs like us with the transfer embargo

we don’t need to submit them, and we might stop paying wages on time too, because if other clubs can get away with it, why can’t we ?. Derby & Wednesday haven’t submitted the accounts due last April yet 13 months late them fuckers.

Nick

Administrator
Jodi Jones.

Grendel

Chaplin too

Those were as we couldn’t sign in the transfer window though weren’t they? It seems very odd to have this arrangement unless he was being lined up by other clubs. A contract length and salary would have to be signed in advance

AiS86

Obligation to buy just seems an odd arrangment. If there's no clause in it, it's just a prearranged transfer, if the obligation is to buy after playing x amount of games, they could just be benched before hitting that clause making it just an option to buy. What am I missing here?

Winny the Bish

Those were as we couldn’t sign in the transfer window though weren’t they? It seems very odd to have this arrangement unless he was being lined up by other clubs. A contract length and salary would have to be signed in advance
We wanted to sign him permanently last summer didn't we? I seem to remember either him or Arsenal being hesitant to do a permanent deal straight away though...just in case he had a storming season in the Championship.

Users who are viewing this thread