Ben Sheaf future (1 Viewer)

Marty

Which stats mate? I can only find 1 goal and 2 assists all season?

I know his game isn’t about goals and assists but what stats do you want me to check?

What I've seen from the stats, he wasn't even the best peforming Doncaster midfielder, Sheaf only in the top 10 of players once and that's for Average passes a game (where hes 3rd (55.6)), behind Whiteman (Doncaster (63)) & Rose (CCFC (58.1)). Even 40 year old James Coppinger out performs him on the stats.

skyblueelephant76

What I've seen from the stats, he wasn't even the best peforming Doncaster midfielder, Sheaf only in the top 10 of players once and that's for Average passes a game (where hes 3rd (55.6)), behind Whiteman (Doncaster (63)) & Rose (CCFC (58.1)). Even 40 year old James Coppinger out performs him on the stats.
Sheaf was highlighted as one of the best midfielders in League one under the age of 25 based on stats

mrtrench

As to his future, this now seems obvious - the injury wasn't serious and I believe we are obliged to sign him.

I don't know that Robings will be happy about that - spending that kind of money you'd expect to get a player who appears every week - and he's been used quite sparingly even when not injured.

Sky Blue Pete

As to his future, this now seems obvious - the injury wasn't serious and I believe we are obliged to sign him.

I don't know that Robings will be happy about that - spending that kind of money you'd expect to get a player who appears every week - and he's been used quite sparingly even when not injured.
Really? How would you know if he was fit to start?

larry_david

Looked half decent yesterday when he came on. I'm in two minds about sheaf tbh. I'm aware players take time to adapt to this level (hyam for example) but also sheaf didn't really do much for me. Think he had a two game spell where he looked like he was gonna start bossing it and then he disappeared

Marty

Sheaf was highlighted as one of the best midfielders in League one under the age of 25 based on stats

You just need to look at some of the other names on that list to show why you shouldn't judge players on stats alone. Yes, they tell you how many passes a player makes and how accurate they are, but they don't tell you that they're playing a team parking the bus and sat in their own 18 yard box, and all of those passes were no more then 10 yards under no pressure.

Even the key passes stat is misleading, definition i've found :- A key pass is a pass by a player that allows his teammate to have an attempt on goal. However, his teammate failed to score. As such, a key pass is awarded to the player, instead of an assist.

You passing to a team mate who shoots from 60 yards or from a tight angle, Where there's little to no chance of scoring still count towards that stat.

Terry_dactyl

I’m happy for him to sign. A good footballer who held his own in the championship and is going to get better.
For me the only issue is potential overcrowding in midfield as I’d love to see us sign James and Walsh also. If that happens it’s a nice headache to have.

skybluepm2

Wouldn’t lose any sleep if he didn’t sign. We’ve not missed him since being injured. If it is £750k we are parting ways with, I’d imagine that’s a large part of (assumedly) next seasons budget. Is he going to get in ahead of Kelly and/or James. Not regularly enough in my opinion. That’s also of the assumption that Kelly signs a new deal and we get James (who is probably on astronomical wages in comparison to what we currently pay).

Sky Blue Pete

You just need to look at some of the other names on that list to show why you shouldn't judge players on stats alone. Yes, they tell you how many passes a player makes and how accurate they are, but they don't tell you that they're playing a team parking the bus and sat in their own 18 yard box, and all of those passes were no more then 10 yards under no pressure.

Even the key passes stat is misleading, definition i've found :- A key pass is a pass by a player that allows his teammate to have an attempt on goal. However, his teammate failed to score. As such, a key pass is awarded to the player, instead of an assist.

You passing to a team mate who shoots from 60 yards or from a tight angle, Where there's little to no chance of scoring still count towards that stat.
I love non data analysts talking about gut feeling trumping statistics or seeing players in person. It means we can keep punching above our weight by using statistics wisely

Watch money ball. Ask shmmee. Using data analytics will improve our chances of improving everything. Sure rubbish data rubbish outcome. Good data means good outcome

So should you have just assists or both assists and chances as the person passing the ball doesn’t control the shot. Means you get a more useful measure with which to compare players

Grendel

I love non data analysts talking about gut feeling trumping statistics or seeing players in person. It means we can keep punching above our weight by using statistics wisely

Watch money ball. Ask shmmee. Using data analytics will improve our chances of improving everything. Sure rubbish data rubbish outcome. Good data means good outcome

So should you have just assists or both assists and chances as the person passing the ball doesn’t control the shot. Means you get a more useful measure with which to compare players

True to an extent but can you honestly say without Walsh we’d have come up last season? His impact was very significant

If the guy signs it’s fine but Walsh was a key player last season.

SBAndy

People seem hung up on the fee. It’s a minor amount really and would be a cheaper signing than Walsh anyway

It’s because we are essentially a self-proclaimed ‘small time’ club. Filters through in a lot of what Robins/Boddy say. I don’t mind it though as it tempers expectation. £750k is a paltry fee in the Championship.

mrtrench

It’s because we are essentially a self-proclaimed ‘small time’ club. Filters through in a lot of what Robins/Boddy say. I don’t mind it though as it tempers expectation. £750k is a paltry fee in the Championship.

We're not the Championship though are we? We don't have the money that many others have. Nearly a quarter of the clubs will have massive parachute money; others spend above their means or have had the Championship money for years and hence built up a side spending £2m-£3m a year on transfers over many seasons.

It'll be one of only three or four fees we've paid over £100k in the last 10 years or so. We have a little more to spend now we are in the Championship but it'll still be a chunk of our budget for next season.

slowpoke

That £750k was negotiated last season, so which budget is it part of.

better days

Looked half decent yesterday when he came on. I'm in two minds about sheaf tbh. I'm aware players take time to adapt to this level (hyam for example) but also sheaf didn't really do much for me. Think he had a two game spell where he looked like he was gonna start bossing it and then he disappeared
From what I hear he had a chronic skeletal problem which he was trying to play through
That was why he went back to Arsenal for treatment several weeks before it was announced by the club
I guess this was the issue that meant the deal was a loan with an obligation to buy if the problem was resolved
Hopefully all is good now and we have an experienced, hungry young player for the Championship next season

Sky Blue Pete

True to an extent but can you honestly say without Walsh we’d have come up last season? His impact was very significant

If the guy signs it’s fine but Walsh was a key player last season.
Why do you think we signed Walsh? And I think he was brilliant and very much part of the league winning season. Probably one of the main reasons for me rather than the one main reason

Reactions: vow

Marty

I haven't said to ignore the stats have I? but they're floored, they don't take into account variables like quality of opposition players, How they set up to play, how you set up to play, teams you haven't played etc. Playing a team like Tranmere will give you far different stats to playing a team like us or Sunderland. Stats won't tell you that you played against the worst performing teams but were injured when you had to play 8 out of the top 10.

Re; the last sentence, If you want to use stats then you need to break it down more, pointless putting a pass that leads to a 60 yard hopeful shot on target, and a killer ball that your striker blazes over from 5 yards lumped in together.

Grendel

Why do you think we signed Walsh? And I think he was brilliant and very much part of the league winning season. Probably one of the main reasons for me rather than the one main reason

Yet statistically apparently sheaf is better

SlowerThanPlatt

I haven't said to ignore the stats have I? but they're floored, they don't take into account variables like quality of opposition players, How they set up to play, how you set up to play, teams you haven't played etc. Playing a team like Tranmere will give you far different stats to playing a team like us or Sunderland. Stats won't tell you that you played against the worst performing teams but were injured when you had to play 8 out of the top 10.

Re; the last sentence, If you want to use stats then you need to break it down more, pointless putting a pass that leads to a 60 yard hopeful shot on target, and a killer ball that your striker blazes over from 5 yards lumped in together.

Over the course of season, every player (injury/suspension permitting) plays against the same quality opposition twice don’t they?

I don’t see how it can be argued it’s favourable to him or any other player

Sky Blue Pete

Agreed on all counts

fatso

He's in the top 5 of all players under 25 who were once on the books of Arsenal and have the initials B.S.
Hope that clears things up 👍

Sky Blue Pete

Then the stats don’t tell you if you’re going to land a KASTA with a rotten attitude. Perhaps we should take a bit more time to understand if a player’s got the right mentality as well as the stats
One can never be sure even after viewing the stats and then spending time watching the player. If someone can come up with a way of assessing resilience in a statistical kind of way that may be a missing picture.

Madness - doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome. Maybe we were wrong to expect we could do something different with kastaneer and despite the talent the reason he was playing at the level he was and no more was because he was only good enough for that

Different with potential cause we don’t know always why a Maddison happens and a Bayliss happens. That’s a real skill to recognise what will happen

Brighton Sky Blue

One can never be sure even after viewing the stats and then spending time watching the player. If someone can come up with a way of assessing resilience in a statistical kind of way that may be a missing picture.

Madness - doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome. Maybe we were wrong to expect we could do something different with kastaneer and despite the talent the reason he was playing at the level he was and no more was because he was only good enough for that

Different with potential cause we don’t know always why a Maddison happens and a Bayliss happens. That’s a real skill to recognise what will happen

No stats needed, just a chat with the player and someone good at judging his attitude. Thinking further back to big duds like Kyle/Eastwood/McKenzie all 3 were just not in the right place mentally.

Users who are viewing this thread