Ben Sheaf future (2 Viewers)

SlowerThanPlatt

This is the first time Walsh has been out injured for a considerable period, not really comparable to a player who’s spent a good chunk of his career injured...

Marty

You're just forgetting how good he was, you don't win multiple awards playing for the champions and get into the team of the season for nothing.

I'm not sure we would have won the league without him, absolutely ran the show for months on end. Clearly way ahead of everybody in the league, most teams couldn't get near him. Instrumental to the way we played.

If it's between Walsh and Sheaf, it's Walsh all day.

mrtrench

I'm not sure we would have won the league without him, absolutely ran the show for months on end. Clearly way ahead of everybody in the league, most teams couldn't get near him. Instrumental to the way we played.

If it's between Walsh and Sheaf, it's Walsh all day.

In my opinion (which is not a great yardstick but anyway), Walsh has that edge that Hamer has - the touch and the confidence with which he uses the ball. I have no doubt that he'd perform in the Championship and suspect he'll eventually play in the Premiership.

cov donkey kick

Think signing youngsters with potential is the way to go and fits the recruitment process of the club ,looking at potential of Tavaras and ried they all fit the model.in robins I trust.

Marty

In my opinion (which is not a great yardstick but anyway), Walsh has that edge that Hamer has - the touch and the confidence with which he uses the ball. I have no doubt that he'd perform in the Championship and suspect he'll eventually play in the Premiership.

Agree, IMO Sheaf has been largely poor to average, looks a good league one player, has a nice touch, sprays it about well but prone to a massive fuck up or a suicidal ball. He's a modern day Stephen Hughes, feels like he slows the game down a bit too much for my liking,

Walsh will be a top end Championship player, think the prem maybe just out of his range unless he gets promoted with someone. Game runs through him a lot quicker, sharper passing, better first touch, just generally better with the ball at his feet.

Hadji's_Goatee

We really need to move on from Walsh, yes he was great for us in league 1 but he seems to be one of those players who gets better and better the longer he doesnt play.
Liam Walsh was the best player we've had outside of the Premier League. It will be a major coup if we sign him. He will play in the Premier League. He will be legendary for us. It's gonna be announced the day after the season finishes 👍

Skyblueweeman

Is there actually any interest from us or any concrete rumours about us getting Walsh or is it simply wishful thinking on 'our' behalf?

Liquid Gold

Is there actually any interest from us or any concrete rumours about us getting Walsh or is it simply wishful thinking on 'our' behalf?
From what I'm hearing down here Walsh's contract offer was withdrawn when Pearson came in as he wanted to look at the squad as a whole before making a decision. They've got a big squad and Landsdowne has lost a lot of cash during COVID so he needs to trim the budget. If Person wants to bring in starters then he needs to sell 1 or 2 good players and trim those that aren't playing. I very much doubt Walsh will be a Bristol City player by July so I don't see where else he would be given the opportunity to be a starter in the Championship with a manager that trusts his ability. He could probably get better wages somewhere but that's not a given this summer with the predicted contraction and even then he should be looking at being a starter at this stage of his career.

If we actually want him I'd be surprised if it didn't happen.

Last edited:

mrtrench

Do 50 hot air rumours make a concrete rumour?

If not, then no - just wishful thinking.

Colin Steins Smile

Returning the thread to Ben Sheaf...... I watched the Arsenal game last night and they were woefully slow in build up play. It’s interesting that one of the criticisms of Sheaf from numerous supporters was a habit of being too slow “on the ball”.

Offhegoes

Hope we do sign him, and I would be happy with Eccles / Kelly & Sheaf fighting for those positions, with possibly a youngster coming in to compete with those 3. I just think a lot of budget will be spent if we pursue Matty James. He is a decent player, but we have more important positions to fill (GK, CB, AM, ST)

Mr Panda

Sheaf is a Coventry player as far as I'm concerned. I think he'll come good

Only way Walsh signs is if we cash in on Gus or don't sign James.

fatso

Liam Walsh was the best player we've had outside of the Premier League. It will be a major coup if we sign him. He will play in the Premier League. He will be legendary for us. It's gonna be announced the day after the season finishes 👍
I'm not saying Walsh isn't a good player, but tbf, Shipley and Allen looked good in league 1

(Although I'd probably lean towards Walsh over Sheaf if pushed)

Marty

I'm not saying Walsh isn't a good player, but tbf, Shipley and Allen looked good in league 1

(Although I'd probably lean towards Walsh over Sheaf if pushed)

Shipley largely looked bang average even in league one, Allen did look like a good league one player but he's obviously limited in ability and physically. Neither were ever going to make the step up. Should have moved both on in the summer, hopefully we will this summer.

junglej13

We really need to move on from Walsh, yes he was great for us in league 1 but he seems to be one of those players who gets better and better the longer he doesnt play.

Walsh was incredible for us. Was probably an 8/10 most games. Was crucial in the way we played in League 1 and linking through the lines. In some respects last season couldn't have worked out better in terms of our prospects of getting him in my eyes. If he had played for Bristol City he would have attracted bigger clubs than us.

TomRad85

Walsh was incredible for us. Was probably an 8/10 most games. Was crucial in the way we played in League 1 and linking through the lines. In some respects last season couldn't have worked out better in terms of our prospects of getting him in my eyes. If he had played for Bristol City he would have attracted bigger clubs than us.
Agree. The obsession with former players on here is usually pretty laughable, but regarding Walsh, I think we'd be pretty fucking stupid not to offer him something tbh.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

cc84cov

Agree. The obsession with former players on here is usually pretty laughable, but regarding Walsh, I think we'd be pretty fucking stupid not to offer him something tbh.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Gimme Walsh over sheaf every single day of the week,

Walsh for free or Sheaf for £750k = no brainer

harvey098

Sheaf is capable but two a penny. Most controlling midfielders in league 1 could come in and do the same job as sheaf to the same affect. Think £750k seems steep for what he is.

I also don’t know why people think Walsh will be leaving Bristol? They really value him (Pearson in particular). I’d be incredibly surprised if he left.

higgs

Sheaf is capable but two a penny. Most controlling midfielders in league 1 could come in and do the same job as sheaf to the same affect. Think £750k seems steep for what he is.

I also don’t know why people think Walsh will be leaving Bristol? They really value him (Pearson in particular). I’d be incredibly surprised if he left.
Out of contract even if they offer him a new deal if we can make an offer to him the choice is in his hands where as last year they held a year option that they took up

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

shmmeee

What he was was miles ahead of all the other midfielders in his role in L1. Hardly “two a penny”.

People are absolutely delusional about what is available in the transfer market.

Hadji's_Goatee

He’s had a contract in the table since last summer. He’s been running it down since then to join us. He’s signing for us not them. We are a bigger and better team than bloody Bristol.

harvey098

What he was was miles ahead of all the other midfielders in his role in L1. Hardly “two a penny”.

People are absolutely delusional about what is available in the transfer market.

“Miles ahead of all the other midfielders in his role in L1”

Incredible then that he didn’t make it into the EFL team of the year. What an oversight! He was an ok player in a team that finished 9th. To say he was miles ahead of even Walsh and Kelly that season is an interesting view.... and you’re calling me delusional.

shmmeee

“Miles ahead of all the other midfielders in his role in L1”

Incredible then that he didn’t make it into the EFL team of the year. What an oversight! He was an ok player in a team that finished 9th. To say he was miles ahead of even Walsh and Kelly that season is an interesting view.... and you’re calling me delusional.

Check the stats and get back to me.

Users who are viewing this thread