Match Thread Barnsley Match Thread (3 Viewers)

mark82

Barnsley were a bottom 3 team last year, saved only by the nonsense at Wigan. They've signed 3 players seemingly over the summer. A young kid from Liverpool who hasn't featured yet. A Polish defender who managed 43 minutes before getting sent off and an Austrian winger who they seem to be playing more as a centre forward.

There are no easy games in this division, but this is one we should probably be looking to win.

ccfcricoh

Barnsley were a bottom 3 team last year, saved only by the nonsense at Wigan. They've signed 3 players seemingly over the summer. A young kid from Liverpool who hasn't featured yet. A Polish defender who managed 43 minutes before getting sent off and an Austrian winger who they seem to be playing more as a centre forward.

There are no easy games in this division, but this is one we should probably be looking to win.
Agree with this, if we want to stay up, we have to be looking at this game as one to pick up 3 points. Not saying it will be easy or one i "expect" to win, but they're one of the weaker teams in the league.

having said that, this is CCFC, so we'll probably lose 3-0 Saturday and then go and beat Bournemouth and Brentford!

Barnsley

on 11th of December last year we had 11points, we’d been dreadful up until that point, after that we were in top half of the table form. Overall it was a shocking season but the second half of that season once we got a new head coach we was none too shabby. We beat some decent teams too Fulham, Brentford, Forest, drew twice with WBA. & Swansea. we’re not a bad side.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Before anyone gets too carried away about last nights results let's not forget they were playing Chelsea, their two centre backs were suspended, they still created chances (but failed to put them away) and the first four gaols were all defensive errors brought about by high energetic pressing which we won't do to the same extent.

Hopefully MR will see than and will press more and also not be too insistent on knocking it around the back.

This is a game we should be approaching looking to win, but shouldn't be taking for granted. Any hint of complacency and we will have our arses bitten.

gally9

on 11th of December last year we had 11points, we’d been dreadful up until that point, after that we were in top half of the table form. Overall it was a shocking season but the second half of that season once we got a new head coach we was none too shabby. We beat some decent teams too Fulham, Brentford, Forest, drew twice with WBA. & Swansea. we’re not a bad side.

I thought you looked a real threat to be fair, Chelsea were just class and went up a few gears.

However, one thing you can’t escape is, your the one and only team that calls us your bogey side... there’s more going on here.. this is cosmic intervention... your gonna have to literally go against the will of the gods to beat us.

Gibbo

Why are you always the doom mongerer?
Constantly jumping on any positivity? You never used to be like this IIRC.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

...maybe because it is very close to the truth.

Newly promoted teams are always viewed as the easiest, it was how we viewed home games like Lincoln last year. Wild optimism does nobody any good, it just doubles the disappointment and is actually just a bit irritating because it involves a separation from reality. Cautious pragmatic optimism should be our guide. A draw will be ok, a win a bonus and a loss regarded as a lost opportunity - bit like Bristol.

Barnsley

I thought you looked a real threat to be fair, Chelsea were just class and went up a few gears.

However, one thing you can’t escape is, your the one and only team that calls us your bogey side... there’s more going on here.. this is cosmic intervention... your gonna have to literally go against the will of the gods to beat us.

😂 like QPR away up until last season we’d not won there for 70 odd years, I’ve been 12 times and only Seen us pick up a couple of points.

fernandopartridge

That's a bit of a myth, we've not won a league game at Oakwell for years. We were one of the not many teams to lose there in the Premier League too. In fact, we've drew 1 and lost 4 of our last 5 league games there.

ccfc92

I take it this is an additional payment for ifollow for this game?

Only home games are included on the Championship Memberships?

Liquid Gold

We always beat Wycombe too.

mark_ccfc

a lot on here seem to think you’ll easily beat us.
From what I have seen our two teams are quite well matched, however we have an edge with our strikers, so I am hoping for a narrow win for us. I think it will be a close game whatever happens, a draw is quite likely. We will probably be looking for goals on the break, which we are quite good at.

Mucca Mad Boys

That's a bit of a myth, we've not won a league game at Oakwell for years. We were one of the not many teams to lose there in the Premier League too. In fact, we've drew 1 and lost 4 of our last 5 league games there.

I went to Barnsley away under Boothroyd and my mates went with me to and we picked that game 'because we always beat Barnsley'. Lost 2-1, and I don't think we've won at Oakwell since.

But, I think a lot of this stuff is mindset. From that game I referred to, we were very much a club in terminal decline, with the exception of MR's first spell, the 1st half of the Pressley season when we had -10pts, and in 2015 under Mowbray. All phases that flattered to deceive in my book. Barnsley, credit to them, have been consistently an upper L1 to Championship outfit. Now, we're on the up and Barnsley have a good manager too. A few pundits predict we'll finish around one another.

David O'Day

Yes you are and you only stayed up because Brentford imploded in their run in and Wigan went into admin.

standupforcity

Agree with this, if we want to stay up, we have to be looking at this game as one to pick up 3 points. Not saying it will be easy or one i "expect" to win, but they're one of the weaker teams in the league.

having said that, this is CCFC, so we'll probably lose 3-0 Saturday and then go and beat Bournemouth and Brentford!

this is the NEW CCFC...and it hasn't happened for a while...

fernandopartridge

I went to Barnsley away under Boothroyd and my mates went with me to and we picked that game 'because we always beat Barnsley'. Lost 2-1, and I don't think we've won at Oakwell since.

But, I think a lot of this stuff is mindset. From that game I referred to, we were very much a club in terminal decline, with the exception of MR's first spell, the 1st half of the Pressley season when we had -10pts, and in 2015 under Mowbray. All phases that flattered to deceive in my book. Barnsley, credit to them, have been consistently an upper L1 to Championship outfit. Now, we're on the up and Barnsley have a good manager too. A few pundits predict we'll finish around one another.
Yeah I've been a few of those defeats, they've tended to coincide with the game being midweek funnily enough! Went for one of Mowbray's first games which was shit as was the following season, really depressing performances both times.

DannyThomas_1981

As a team that has just been promoted and finding our feet in this Division (which is a huge step up), it beats me as to why some on here are taking the time out to 'talk down Barnsley' or our former players playing there.

We haven't earned the right to do that in any sense (nowhere even close)....makes us look like idiots.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Anyone who thinks this will be easy hasn't got a clue what they're talking about. No games will be 'easy' this season, it's the nature of the league. The closest we'll get to an 'easy' game is Wycombe at home and even then I wouldn't call it easy. Barnsley achieved last year what we're hoping to achieve this year, by staying in the division. That's not to downplay our strengths, we'll give most teams a run for their money and won't make life easy, but anyone who thinks we're gonna steam roll past the teams who finished near the bottom last season is in for a nasty surprise. Would take a point but would obviously be delighted with three.

Gibbo

Anyone who thinks this will be easy hasn't got a clue what they're talking about. No games will be 'easy' this season, it's the nature of the league. The closest we'll get to an 'easy' game is Wycombe at home and even then I wouldn't call it easy. Barnsley achieved last year what we're hoping to achieve this year, by staying in the division. That's not to downplay our strengths, we'll give most teams a run for their money and won't make life easy, but anyone who thinks we're gonna steam roll past the teams who finished near the bottom last season is in for a nasty surprise. Would take a point but would obviously be delighted with three.
That's about it in a nutshell

cooperskyblue

A lot of times this season we will hear and see teams think because we have that 'newly promoted' tag that we should be a win for other teams.
It won't take long though for that perception to change as we keep playing our attractive football, scoring goals and getting wins.

Users who are viewing this thread