Atmosphere (2 Viewers)

Evo1883

It also happened to coincide with our first genuine sniff of Premier League football in 20+ years. I doubt many fans would have stayed away for that playoff run if SISU were still in charge.

The surge in fan interest/ST sales came about after the end of Covid restrictions coincided with our improving league status, and it’s snowballed from there thanks to Robins.

Doug king took full control of coventry city on the 27th January .. since that date we've had just 2 games from 29 under 20k (1 was a night match against millwall )and 4 games under 22k ... we were 15th in the championship and had only had over 20k 3 times in the previous 16 home games

The numbers have risen approximately 5,000 since sisu have left , we also had a horror start to this season but more people than the last 3 or 4 decades were coming still and also paying on the gate

I doubt very much we'd be averaging 25000 this season under sisu

Last edited:

David O'Day

It also happened to coincide with our first genuine sniff of Premier League football in 20+ years. I doubt many fans would have stayed away for that playoff run if SISU were still in charge.

The surge in fan interest/ST sales came about after the end of Covid restrictions coincided with our improving league status, and it’s snowballed from there thanks to Robins.
it's madness to think that the crowds would be much if any lower at the end of last season id King wasn't in charge

SBT

Doug king took full control of coventry city on the 27th January .. since that date we've had just 2 games from 29 under 20k (1 was a night match against millwall )and 4 games under 22k ... we were 15th in the championship and had only had over 20k 3 times in the previous 16 home games

The numbers have risen approximately 5,000 since sisu have left , we also had a horror start to this season but more people than the last 3 or 4 decades were coming still and also paying on the gate

I doubt very much we'd be averaging 25000 this season under sisu
Well it’s very hard to say it was pro-King/anti-SISU sentiment driving ticket sales, given how well we started playing at the same time - we lost one game at home from that day onwards. That playoff push was electric and I imagine that whoever the owners were, the stadium would have been packed for it. The subsequent boost to ST sales over the following summer meant this season would always see numbers continue to rise.

The success of the team is by far and away the biggest decider of how many people pay to watch us.

David O'Day

Well it’s very hard to say it was pro-King/anti-SISU sentiment driving ticket sales, given how well we started playing at the same time - we lost one game at home from that day onwards. That playoff push was electric and I imagine that whoever the owners were, the stadium would have been packed for it. The subsequent boost to ST sales over the following summer meant this season would always see numbers continue to rise.

The success of the team is by far and away the biggest decider of how many people pay to watch us.
This plus attendances in football being in a boom period

Evo1883

Reality is its our highest average for 53 years .. there's a culmination of many things and I do genuinley believe sisu leaving has played its part , the numbers are too big a rise to not be , when micky Adams finished 8th the following season crowds went down , so it's not always about how the team did that previous season

We had an awful start this season and people still came in droves , 24/25/26000

SBT

Reality is its our highest average for 53 years .. there's a culmination of many things and I do genuinley believe sisu leaving has played its part , the numbers are too big a rise to not be , when micky Adams finished 8th the following season crowds went down , so it's not always about how the team did that previous season

We had an awful start this season and people still came in droves , 24/25/26000
That Micky Adams season was our first at the Ricoh and the 8th place finish flattered us - we were miles off the playoffs and never in contention.

Season tickets are what keeps the gates up even when performances are sub-par - we’ve sold record numbers every year for the past three years now, two of those while SISU were running the show. Maybe they would have been even higher if the team was the same but SISU weren’t here - we’ll never know, I just don’t think it’s that big a deal.

bigfatronssba

bigfatronssba

We wouldn't have got over 20k regularly in league 1 every game had we the same results , even without sisu.

I disagree.

In our league 1 winning season we would’ve hit 20k in the second half of the year if we’d been playing at home (and covid hadn’t hit)

skybluecam

It's about the message it sends too.

Maxing out the home capacity in anticipation of a successful season is backing the team to do well.

Holding back 2.5k seats for away fans because we're not sure we can sell out is the attitude of a small club.

Boicey

Maxing out the home capacity in anticipation of a successful season is backing the team to do well.

Holding back 2.5k seats for away fans because we're not sure we can sell out is the attitude of a small club.
I think Doug would rather have money in the bank then worry about his attitude.

Bugsy

Apologies if it's been posted already but made me laugh 😂

Screenshot_20240403-100048.png

mmttww

mr t dancing GIF

Pricey1984

Remember when sisu talked about building us a 10-15k seater stadium? There is no doubt those clowns had a big big impact on our attendances. This thread alone makes that seem ludicrous now.

I don't care what attendaces Leicester, Derby, etc get. They've been through nothing compared to us. I love how far we have come and how much demand for tickets has grown. Long may it continue

Bugsy

Atmosphere has been shocking ever since the we’ll live and die nonsense started. Sack that off and create something real and not manufactured.

Our catalogue of songs has never been great but it just seems to get worse and that isn’t helping either.

I didn’t think we could get worse than calling a Dutch player Brazilian and singing about playing in sky blue and white but then I heard the Bidwell song. Sigh

what a load of shite.
also the Bidwell song is light hearted fun. cheer up

Bugsy

Calista

That playoff push was electric and I imagine that whoever the owners were, the stadium would have been packed for it.
That's assuming that the playoff push would have happened at all under Sisu, rather than the rug being pulled from under MR's feet.

bigfatronssba

Atmosphere has been shocking ever since the we’ll live and die nonsense started. Sack that off and create something real and not manufactured.

Our catalogue of songs has never been great but it just seems to get worse and that isn’t helping either.

I didn’t think we could get worse than calling a Dutch player Brazilian and singing about playing in sky blue and white but then I heard the Bidwell song. Sigh

They’re f*cking football songs, not classical opera. What exactly are you expecting?

bigfatronssba

I expect us to not sing ‘he’s Brazilian’ to a footballer from The Netherlands

But he is Brazilian.

He just grew up in the Netherlands.

No different to how we used to sing about McSheffrey “comes from Coventry” whilst he lived in Balsall Common

bigfatronssba

In an interview he reiterated that he dislikes Brazil due to his personal situation and considers himself Dutch. We then persisted to sing ‘he’s Brazilian’ against his wish.

Well I’m sure he’ll survive that hardship

SBT

That's assuming that the playoff push would have happened at all under Sisu, rather than the rug being pulled from under MR's feet.
Well yeah, but that’s a totally different question. The argument being made is that the end of NOPM is part of what’s driven attendances higher, which means they’d presumably be lower if we’d had the exact same results while SISU were still in charge. Personally I doubt that, but it’s all hypothetical anyway.

MalcSB

Just over 4000 if the ground holds 32,609. That's more than the amount of home fans in the South Stand yesterday.

And yes, I know at least half of those 4000 are in corporate spaces.
With the segregation that was in place at the start of the season, the capacity was 30,070. There are 1,071 seats in the upper balcony corporate which hadn't sold. Your calculations are miles out.

pusbccfc

It says the ground holds 30,700 without the scoreboard. It will never hold over 32,000 because there will always be some segregation - of at least 1,500 I would have thought.

If we get promoted to the PL, there will be the absolute bar minimum segregation. There is no way we'll have 1500 seats unsold to segregation if we play in the Premier. Leicester holds 32,261 and have averaged about 500 below that in the top flight.

We lost a few rows of seats behind the goal but also gained seats in the corner when the old board was replaced.

When Wasps were in charge and when the Arnold Clark competition was played at the stadium, the capacity was given as 32,753 whereas the other figure is 32,609.

pusbccfc

Home fans lifetime value is significantly above away fans.

But equally, an away fan is profitable especially at the CBS. Away fans have nowhere to drink and often spend their money in the concourse. We also charge away fans some of the highest prices in the league.

shmmeee

But equally, an away fan is profitable especially at the CBS. Away fans have nowhere to drink and often spend their money in the concourse. We also charge away fans some of the highest prices in the league.

You’re thinking too short term. An away fan is never going to come back or spend money on merchandise.

pusbccfc

You’re thinking too short term. An away fan is never going to come back or spend money on merchandise.

Absolutely but we are not turning fans away.

Even Saturday, there's a few thousand left.

Besides Leicester and Sheffield Wednesday, the home areas have had spare seats available. Monday against Cardiff had availability and plenty on the gate.

When we are demanding 28/29,000 home fans, we can open up the South Stand every single game.

shmmeee

Absolutely but we are not turning fans away.

Even Saturday, there's a few thousand left.

Besides Leicester and Sheffield Wednesday, the home areas have had spare seats available. Monday against Cardiff had availability and plenty on the gate.

When we are demanding 28/29,000 home fans, we can open up the South Stand every single game.

The few thousand are mostly in the corporate areas, if you chop and change each game then you can’t sell STs there and the atmosphere suffers.

You want extra capacity to grow, you don’t want only singles and seats at the very back/front available every game as it has been for months. The aim is to have more fans, but first they have to be able to sit together with a reasonable view.

I guarantee no club owner views away fans are better financially than home, a single visit anonymous customer vs a returning customer with contact details are night and day in terms of projected CLTV.

Users who are viewing this thread