Atmosphere (5 Viewers)

bigfatronssba

They are. Our support will drop off a lot quicker than Leicester, Forest etc if we have a couple of poor seasons. That's a fact. Our support has never had a big hardcore following.

Can you give me an example of where our support has dropped off quickly?

bigfatronssba

Just over 4000 if the ground holds 32,609. That's more than the amount of home fans in the South Stand yesterday.

And yes, I know at least half of those 4000 are in corporate spaces.

The ground holds 32400 ish.

That original 32.6k figure was when the ground first opened and there was no scoreboard.

IMG_1611.jpeg

bigfatronssba

I’ve never known another club where some supporters consistently say how awfully we’re supported (without clarification as to why), and also say how wonderful our local rivals are.

Frankly it’s very weird

Evo1883

I’ve never known another club where some supporters consistently say how awfully we’re supported (without clarification as to why), and also say how wonderful our local rivals are.

Frankly it’s very weird
We were the 17th best supported club of the 92 historically before sisu took over , above leicester , Derby, Forest.

Our potential is bigger than people realise

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Any proof of these claims ?

Until sisu took over coventry had a higher all time average than Derby, Forest and Leicester and had spent less time in the top flight than all of them
Leicester seem to maintain decent support when they're on the slide. Look at what they got when they slipped into league 1 briefly not that long ago.
Derbys support in league 1 is absolutely phenomenal. We would never get anywhere near that if we were relegated .
That's not a criticism of our supporters. It's exceptional support from their fans.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

We were the 17th best supported club of the 92 historically before sisu took over , above leicester , Derby, Forest.

Our potential is bigger than people realise
How big ? Any club will sell out in the premier league to start with. Under what circumstances will be consistently selling out in the championship ?

pusbccfc

Leicester seem to maintain decent support when they're on the slide. Look at what they got when they slipped into league 1 briefly not that long ago.
Derbys support in league 1 is absolutely phenomenal. We would never get anywhere near that if we were relegated .
That's not a criticism of our supporters. It's exceptional support from their fans.

We had our greatest days during the darkest periods of English football. Our crowds in the 90s were fairly consistent with others mentioned above.

We hit our darkest days during a period of increasing crowds. Unfortunately, we're having to play catch up with those clubs but aren't far off now.

Evo1883

Leicester were purchased by their owners in league 1 , and were only 4 years outside the top flight .

But more to the point , none of these clubs ever had it's as bad as city

MalcSB

Next season - Sell ST's behind the goal, with the stipulation that should demand not warrant it each ticket will be moved to the same seat +4 blocks. Block 10 Row BB seat 4 becomes Block 14 Row BB seat 4. Or as close too.
The provisional seating area only opens for sale once demand is realised that the south stand will be open.

Next next season - add safe standing to south stand
Crazy and unworkable,

MalcSB

Probably because even with our good crowds, we are 18th in percentage filled with 76%. The teams below us on that table; Wednesday, Birmingham, Blackburn and Cardiff all close parts of their ground. Stoke are the only side on the list below us who don't and their ground is very sparse with large sections of empty seats everywhere.

A significant part of the percentage lost is due to the huge segregation in place until recently, added to the smaller but still significant corporate boxes not selling,

Tile Hill Phil

Safe standing will be the key tbh, as soon as that section of the south is standing they'll all want to be there
Yep have to agree with that. I’m Tim my60s now but when i was younger I’d much rather stand on a terrace to watch a game rather than sit down. I’m pretty sure if you had standing there the younger fans would go for it

mmttww

More people need to stop worrying about joining in with or starting chants and JFDI. That's it. Everything else is massively over engineering it.

Instead we're talking about closing sections of the ground after two seasons of play off chasing with growing crowds. I am very confused!

MalcSB

More people need to stop worrying about joining in with or starting chants and JFDI. That's it. Everything else is massively over engineering it.

Instead we're talking about closing sections of the ground after two seasons of play off chasing with growing crowds. I am very confused!
It’s totally bizarre and seemingly because some people want to stand wherever they fancy it, and to hell with anyone else.

bigfatronssba

You’d have to go back about 60 years to see Leicester getting 25k as a mid table/play off chasing second tier team

pusbccfc

A significant part of the percentage lost is due to the huge segregation in place until recently, added to the smaller but still significant corporate boxes not selling,

Absolutely for the Leicester and Sheffield Wednesday games. Less so for the crowds around 24/25,000 during the rest of the season.

pusbccfc

When the demands there, they should absolutely be opened.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

You’d have to go back about 60 years to see Leicester getting 25k as a mid table/play off chasing second tier team
Our support steadily dwindled once we were relegated from the prem.
What did Leicester get when they were in league 1 last time round ? More than we were getting in the championship. They didn't know they'd be promoted straight back. They have a decent hard core support.
We may well match that over time but as things stand we've got a bit to go.

Milne Out

I’ve always thought ,
“the more away fans the better”
I don’t care how many we get given at other grounds as that’s out of our control , so what’s the point stressing over it
Ever since I was a kid , the 1st thing I wanted to see when I came up the steps , was
“How many have they brought”
I used to look at the split in the west end, following that, the cage in the Kop, and then the split in the old Sky Blue Stand
And as much as we grumble about the away fans being behind the goal. I know that when ever we watch City on TV , it’s always more than a little disappointing when we can’t see our own fans when we are playing away. And we all hope that any goals we score away, are in front of our travelling support when we see the goals on TV. By the same token , I don’t agree with sticking the away fans up in the clouds either , as some teams seem to favour.
Give the away fans as many as they can sell,
It’s our job to out play and out shout them
It’s not too many moons ago when we rarely sold our own allocation away from home , bar the odd easy to get to, or attractive tie
But of recent rose tinted glasses on when it comes to our away support . Shaped by the last few years. Certainly never used to be the case that we were known to travel too well ourselves
The argument for safe standing in the south stand will be addressed by Leeds soon, as they have a habit of ripping the seats out for us at our stadium

Evo1883

What did Leicester get when they were in league 1 last time round ? More than we were getting in the championship. They didn't know they'd be promoted straight back. They have a decent hard core support.
So where were their hardcore support when we had a higher all time average than them up until the sisu years ?

Most of our history we've had better support than them

chiefdave

Where has this thing that there can only be atmosphere if the away fans are next to singers corner come from? The away fans weren't next to the west terrace, we've had years of blocks of empty seats seperating the fans at the CBS.

I'm at the other end of the ground and I can hear the away fans so I don't see why anyone in singers corner wouldn't be able to.

Oddly some of the people moaning you can't have a good atmosphere with our fans behind the goal are also talking about how it will be mayhem behind the goal at Wembley and having a go at anyone who suggests people might actually want to watch the match. That's literally the part of Wembley furthest from the away fans.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Will be about the same. Possibly a little less because we may lose some big name teams.

Our biggest attendances this season are Leicester, Wednesday, Birmingham, Norwich and Cardiff. We may lose 4 of those teams to promotion and relegation. Ideally Everton come down as that would sell out easily.

And we will have Portsmouth, Derby and Bolton in the Championship with big away followings.

bigfatronssba

I’m pretty sure they didn’t lose a home game all season in league 1. Easy to keep your support in those circumstances.

We’re currently getting higher crowds than they got when they won the Championship in 2014

Adge

Do you honestly think we can sustain 26,000 home fans next season?

Let's not forget all the midweek and Sunday afternoon games we'll have next year.
Depends on the success or lack of. It’s the same as the old “reduce the price to get them in” cobblers. People will pay whatever to watch a successful/winning team-same applies regarding kick off times etc.

SBbucks

Will be about the same. Possibly a little less because we may lose some big name teams.

Our biggest attendances this season are Leicester, Wednesday, Birmingham, Norwich and Cardiff. We may lose 4 of those teams to promotion and relegation. Ideally Everton come down as that would sell out easily.

You really want Everton taking up one of the automatic places for the sake of one sell out?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I’m pretty sure they didn’t lose a home game all season in league 1. Easy to keep your support in those circumstances.

We’re currently getting higher crowds than they got when they won the Championship in 2014
We wouldn't have got over 20k regularly in league 1 every game had we the same results , even without sisu.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

So where were their hardcore support when we had a higher all time average than them up until the sisu years ?

Most of our history we've had better support than them
Can you give the stats on that ?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

How far back would you have to go see us getting 25k regularly ......in any division ?

skybluecam

Only Leicester and maybe Birmingham were because of the opposition though?

Wednesday sold out because it was Boxing day. Cardiff attendance boosted by the cup run. Also vastly different away attendances between those.
Just over 4000 if the ground holds 32,609. That's more than the amount of home fans in the South Stand yesterday.

And yes, I know at least half of those 4000 are in corporate spaces.
The usable capacity for the ground is nowhere near 32k. Leicester we had sold out home and away ends and didn't even break 30k.

SBT

Basically NOPM was bigger than people realised because this also coincides with sisu fucking off , the crowds were over 21000 before they came
I personally doubt that NOPM has had much to do with our attendances in the past few years, certainly not in the post-Covid era.

Evo1883

I personally doubt that NOPM has had much to do with our attendances in the past few years, certainly not in the post-Covid era.
Our attendances have risen quite sharply since sisu left

Evo1883

Can you give the stats on that ?

I found the stats on the QPR forum back in 2007 (don't ask) had coventry as the 17th highest average in english football history..

Coventry now have a historical average of 17196 and Leicester is now 19764 , let's bear in mind in the last 17 years leicester have had attendances averaging 22k to 31k every season whilst we've been shagged into the ground some seasons getting 2 and 6000 , 9k etc

So it's swung , but forest and Derby historically were less than us too , now forest all time 18548 , and Derby 18598

It's taken 15 years of sisu to put us below these teams

Before 2007 we were above all of these teams

pusbccfc

Only Leicester and maybe Birmingham were because of the opposition though?

Wednesday sold out because it was Boxing day. Cardiff attendance boosted by the cup run. Also vastly different away attendances between those.

The usable capacity for the ground is nowhere near 32k. Leicester we had sold out home and away ends and didn't even break 30k.

It is if they fix the segregation problems, and/or get some bottle.

I saw a video of Stoke fans celebrating at Hull last week. Hull had the demand for an entire sell out and therefore limited segregation to a foot or two. Yesterday we had nearly 3 blocks of segregation.

SBT

Our attendances have risen quite sharply since sisu left
It also happened to coincide with our first genuine sniff of Premier League football in 20+ years. I doubt many fans would have stayed away for that playoff run if SISU were still in charge.

The surge in fan interest/ST sales came about after the end of Covid restrictions coincided with our improving league status, and it’s snowballed from there thanks to Robins.

Users who are viewing this thread