Appeal Dismissed (5 Viewers)

chiefdave

I’m glad then EFL have told them no playing outside the city.
While I certainly don't want us playing out of the city again I can't see how the EFL taking this stance helps the club in the slightest.

Think we all agree the Ricoh is the only viable option in the city so the situation we now have is that the landlords of the only suitable facility are refusing to even speak to the club. If and when they do finally agree to enter talks they can demand anything they like knowing the club has no other option.

It puts Boddy in an impossible situation. He's powerless to stop the legal action and has no base from which to negotiate as the other side know he has no options.

While we all hope that a deal can be reached there is a scenario where it isn't. If that occurs, and the EFL maintain this stance, that is the end of Coventry City. Will people still be applauding the EFL then?

Nick

Administrator
While I certainly don't want us playing out of the city again I can't see how the EFL taking this stance helps the club in the slightest.

Think we all agree the Ricoh is the only viable option in the city so the situation we now have is that the landlords of the only suitable facility are refusing to even speak to the club. If and when they do finally agree to enter talks they can demand anything they like knowing the club has no other option.

It puts Boddy in an impossible situation. He's powerless to stop the legal action and has no base from which to negotiate as the other side know he has no options.

While we all hope that a deal can be reached there is a scenario where it isn't. If that occurs, and the EFL maintain this stance, that is the end of Coventry City. Will people still be applauding the EFL then?
Probably

CJ_covblaze

Where would the Sky blues trust stand if wasps say £2 million a year? Or refuse to talk to us? What action do they take then?

Surely if we’re held to ransom they’d have to put differences aside and publically speak out against Wasps

Wasps said they will not negotiate whilst the legals are happening. If they are dropped, as much as I understand they wouldn’t want to deal with the club due to the past they can’t go back on their word. It’d be completely unacceptable. As for how much the rent should be, a small rent rise is acceptable. 150-250k is probably the going rate for what we get and we’re not paying that at present.

chiefdave

Wasps said they will not negotiate whilst the legals are happening. If they are dropped, as much as I understand they wouldn’t want to deal with the club due to the past they can’t go back on their word. It’d be completely unacceptable. As for how much the rent should be, a small rent rise is acceptable. 150-250k is probably the going rate for what we get and we’re not paying that at present.
But nobody involved in the day to day running of the club, which is basically Dave Boddy, has any influence over stopping the legals.

Are you really saying that if nothing changes the trust should just sit on the sidelines watching as the club ceases to exist for fear of upsetting Wasps? Surely their primary concern should be the future of the football club.

We’ve played several seasons at the Ricoh, and agreed a new deal, while the legals are ongoing, absolutely no reason Wasps can’t continue with a similar arrangement.

As for Wasps going back on their word they’ve done that several times already, not least giving assurances to the council that their arrival wouldn’t have a negative impact on the football club. Not sure about anyone else but I’d definitely class ceasing to exist as a negative.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

But at what point do the trust support the club? We get use of 3 stands, have no control of our income, and we’re allowed to play when wasps say, why is that worth anymore than what we’re paying now?

you’re supposed to be backing the club not supporting Wasps, I get the legals need to be dropped, but if not - you’re essentially cutting ties with the club you reformed to save. We all want SISU gone but surely at some point you’ve got to say enough is enough - organise boycotts if wasps, hit them hard, force them to the table with CCFC - not SISU

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Where though ?
Whoever would take us, if the Ricoh is not financially viable - at some point the fans have got to get onside. Obviously if a deal is financially better at the Ricoh then we stay there. But if wasps don’t talk to us or offer out of our range, what more can the club do?

Nick

Administrator

They went back on their word last season but you still swallow it?

How many times have they gone back on their word?

Grendel

Wasps wouldn’t go back on their word - ok

chiefdave

We're sleepwalking in to oblivion. The posts I see on here and social media are the same as prior to the Sixfields move. Its all 'a deal will be done', 'the FL won't allow it', 'its a bluff from SISU'.

I'll admit I was as guilty as anyone last time of thinking like that but surely we learn from what happened last time.

The reality is time is running out, its 6 months until the annual EFL meeting where we will be asked to confirm where we are playing next season, and if Wasps don't agree to talk soon the answer will be nowhere and the club will cease to exist.

lifeskyblue

We're sleepwalking in to oblivion. The posts I see on here and social media are the same as prior to the Sixfields move. Its all 'a deal will be done', 'the FL won't allow it', 'its a bluff from SISU'.

I'll admit I was as guilty as anyone last time of thinking like that but surely we learn from what happened last time.

The reality is time is running out, its 6 months until the annual EFL meeting where we will be asked to confirm where we are playing next season, and if Wasps don't agree to talk soon the answer will be nowhere and the club will cease to exist.

Really hope you are wrong but I too fear we are not taking this seriously enough and if we are not careful it will be too late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Really hope you are wrong but I too fear we are not taking this seriously enough and if we are not careful it will be too late.

And this why I think short term the trust should focus on the people they can influence - people of Coventry and coventry fans. They’re quick to get statements about SISU out, why can’t they come down on wasps as hard? Influence members to boycott them. Make the city aware that the out of towners are about to put their historic club out of business. Declare war on them too

CJ_covblaze

But nobody involved in the day to day running of the club, which is basically Dave Boddy, has any influence over stopping the legals.

Are you really saying that if nothing changes the trust should just sit on the sidelines watching as the club ceases to exist for fear of upsetting Wasps? Surely their primary concern should be the future of the football club.

We’ve played several seasons at the Ricoh, and agreed a new deal, while the legals are ongoing, absolutely no reason Wasps can’t continue with a similar arrangement.

As for Wasps going back on their word they’ve done that several times already, not least giving assurances to the council that their arrival wouldn’t have a negative impact on the football club. Not sure about anyone else but I’d definitely class ceasing to exist as a negative.

No I'm not saying that at all.

lifeskyblue

And this why I think short term the trust should focus on the people they can influence - people of Coventry and coventry fans. They’re quick to get statements about SISU out, why can’t they come down on wasps as hard? Influence members to boycott them. Make the city aware that the out of towners are about to put their historic club out of business. Declare war on them too

Sisu and Wasps...hedge funds destroying CCFC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
You’ll be like two peas in a pod then because you won’t do anything either should there be a need to.
Good job I don't run a fans group then isn't it?

Who knows what I'd do if it got to that, I've already done more by not running to the papers to big them up ;)

Nick

Administrator
Because they are seen as an allie against sisu. Same as higgs / council.

The red carpet was rolled out for wasps when they arrived.

CJ_covblaze

I feel exactly the same as you. Time is ticking and nothing is happening. You and I might be accused of scaremongering but it's not the case. It's based on current facts.

fernandopartridge

Here we go, the trust are property experts now

skybluetony176

Good job I don't run a fans group then isn't it?

Who knows what I'd do if it got to that, I've already done more by not running to the papers to big them up ;)

Who said anything about running a fans group?

You’ll be as impotent as you’ve always been when it comes to protesting about the wrong things happening to our club. As will most of the people critical of the trust. That’s a given.

CJ_covblaze

Because they are seen as an allie against sisu. Same as higgs / council.

The red carpet was rolled out for wasps when they arrived.

How was the red carpet rolled out? A demonstration was organised at one of our open meetings against their arrival outside the Council House and hardly anyone turned up apart from two or three on here that get hammered on here for being "pro Wasps".

Nick

Administrator
Who said anything about running a fans group?

You’ll be as impotent as you’ve always been when it comes to protesting about the wrong things happening to our club. As will most of the people critical of the trust. That’s a given.

Erm, you were comparing me to one.

Really? I seem to remember offering (and startes to) help the trust with stuff when the news about the higgs happened. They had a meeting with wasps and I never heard anything from them again. Funny that.

CJ_covblaze

Nick

Administrator
How was the red carpet rolled out? A demonstration was organised at one of our open meetings against their arrival outside the Council House and hardly anyone turned up apart from two or three on here that get hammered on here for being "pro Wasps".
So there wasn't an article saying how great one of their first games was from a trust spokesman at the time?

Yep, people go on about that one thing. It was the evening before a match (I was going to go and have one in varsity after work) and then go to the game. It got changed that morning didn't it? That doesn't seem to get mentioned much as to why not many people went.

Spurs 'City Away Kit' Kit

Not sure if it's been said but the letter from the EFL is a gentle reminder that CCFC have knowingly been in the position of being potentially homeless for quite sometime and that they would expect the club to have 'plan B' that meets the EFL requirements if no agreement can be found with Wasps for the Ricoh. Any other industry would be expected to provide their regulators with copies of contingency plans, this clearly hasn't been the case here - looks like there isn't a plan on CCFCs side and the EFL haven't applied sufficient pressure to ensure that CCFC produce one. Faults lie on both sides here - and the third side is obviously the SISU side which I'm not going to dignify with a comment!

CJ_covblaze

Really? I seem to remember offering (and startes to) help the trust with stuff when the news about the higgs happened. They had a meeting with wasps and I never heard anything from them again. Funny that.

Who did you talk to?

CJ_covblaze

So there wasn't an article saying how great one of their first games was from a trust spokesman at the time?

Yep, people go on about that one thing. It was the evening before a match (I was going to go and have one in varsity after work) and then go to the game. It got changed that morning didn't it? That doesn't seem to get mentioned much as to why not many people went.

It wasn't the evening before a match. It was organised to coincide with the Councillors arriving and leaving their full meeting.

skybluetony176

I was comparing you to the prediction you’ve made of what the trust will or won’t do should we be forced out of the Ricoh. Last time we were forced out of the Ricoh you did nothing, other than slate those doing something. Maybe I’m wrong. It’s someone other than SISU doing the forcing this time so maybe that will be the motivation you need.

Nick

Administrator
Who did you talk to?
Mostly Steve (no issue at all there) but when it was something past him there was nothing. Just had no replies at all.

There was a trust board Google group which I assume was like an email group? Moz was then emailing me.

I can only assume either somebody past them didn't want me to help or after meeting with wasps the direction changed. I don't know, I never seemed to get any replies and it just died out.

Not really saying I was going to change the world or invested loads of money or time but was just pointing out to Tony an example I have tried.

Users who are viewing this thread