America (1 Viewer)

David O'Day

As I said on the politics thread. It's almost like the right wants the Democrats to win, what with doing lots of things that the majority of the American people are against.

Warnock is 10 points up in Georgia is a race the Republicans would be thinking about winning

SBT

It’s now taking up a case involving what power the states can have over federal elections. 2024 should be fun!

Brighton Sky Blue

As I said on the politics thread. It's almost like the right wants the Democrats to win, what with doing lots of things that the majority of the American people are against.

Warnock is 10 points up in Georgia is a race the Republicans would be thinking about winning

I guess because the Democrats are doing nothing with control of the presidency, Senate and House, the court decisions are easy wins for the right which they can get regardless of election results.

SBT

I guess because the Democrats are doing nothing with control of the presidency, Senate and House, the court decisions are easy wins for the right which they can get regardless of election results.

The Democrats are pathetic, but the US is drifting towards minority rule.

When you said the Dems could have stopped the Amy Coney Barrett nomination, what did you mean?

Brighton Sky Blue

The Democrats are pathetic, but the US is drifting towards minority rule.

When you said the Dems could have stopped the Amy Coney Barrett nomination, what did you mean?

Not a guarantee of stopping, but a good chance. Will need to dig out the piece.

Brighton Sky Blue

Would love to see it if you can find it. They can barely seem do anything with a technical majority, let alone when McConnell’s in charge!

Here it is. The original op-ed is behind a ‘not in your country’ wall but references this:

SBT

Here it is. The original op-ed is behind a ‘not in your country’ wall but references this:

Hmm - I think Democrats did try some of this stuff in the end but I don’t think it was ever likely to stop the nomination. (If it was, wouldn’t have McConnell done it with Ketanji Brown Jackson?)

The way that Senate Republicans have seized complete control over the country’s entire legislative apparatus is absolutely mad. The country simply isn’t going to survive in its current 50-state form.

Brighton Sky Blue

Hmm - I think Democrats did try some of this stuff in the end but I don’t think it was ever likely to stop the nomination. (If it was, wouldn’t have McConnell done it with Ketanji Brown Jackson?)

The way that Senate Republicans have seized complete control over the country’s entire legislative apparatus is absolutely mad. The country simply isn’t going to survive in its current 50-state form.

These stalling strategies would have been enough to possibly stall the process past the election, but not for years. McConnell did however block Merrick Garland’s appointment for a year with his majority arguing hypocritically that you can’t appoint someone in an election year.

States like California and New York could survive on their own. Considering that since 1988 a Republican has won the popular vote only once, Bush in 2004, but they’ve had 3 Republican presidential terms and now a conservative stacked court, could anyone blame them for seceding?

Grendel

Without looking at his voting record I bet I can guess what his record is like with regard to going to war.

Bet he's pro death penalty as well.

He’s totally opposed to the death penalty

Grendel

Wish he said his very last line first. Wouldn’t have wasted my time with the rest then.

he’s been saying the same thing for years it’s hardly a secret apparently he once said it on loose women.

Grendel

If he said it on there, then very few would have heard him tbf

Im not sure he did tbh there is some claim he did. He was on a lot of programmes in the media circuit a few years ago

He is obsessively catholic and has a very odd view of world order

Grendel

He hasn’t read that Bible of his closely enough for the passages which call for abortion in certain cases.

Take it up with him. I think he’d beat you in a TV debate

Brighton Sky Blue

Take it up with him. I think he’d beat you in a TV debate

I’d be pretty confident of taking him on on most topics to be honest. Though while on that I’d like to see you put in a phone call to James O’Brien-in fact I’d pay for the privilege

Grendel

I’d be pretty confident of taking him on on most topics to be honest. Though while on that I’d like to see you put in a phone call to James O’Brien-in fact I’d pay for the privilege

O Brien is just another Jon Gaunt figure - he’s a poor man’s Jeremy Vine why would anyone engage with him? Why would anyone listen to him?

What an odd thing to say I don’t believe for one minute you would be brave enough - you often play the victim - it’s astute levels when on the back foot

Grendel

I’ve not read the reason. Every life is sacred? I don’t believe live begins at conception.

he does always has done always will. It’s not a gotcha moment though. He’s opposed to trans he’s opposed to gay marriage he’s opposed to sex before marriage - he’s never hidden it from the oriole who vote for him and will defend his constituents in these areas as it’s the law and his job as an MP is to abide the law - he’s an oddball but he’s very open on these beliefs

Brighton Sky Blue

O Brien is just another Jon Gaunt figure - he’s a poor man’s Jeremy Vine why would anyone engage with him? Why would anyone listen to him?

What an odd thing to say I don’t believe for one minute you would be brave enough - you often play the victim - it’s astute levels when on the back foot

Well ignoring the conflation of an illness with a personality trait Mogg relies on his accent and long words to win an argument. I mean even in this arena he’s claimed life starts at conception and is ignorant of the Bible calling for abortion if the baby is by a man beside the husband. It’d be a free hit.

That said O’Brien did a number on him a while back

Grendel

Users who are viewing this thread