America (3 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

ok, you spent a year telling us trump would win like the chino wearing nostradamus you are

just because you may have flipped right at the end doesn't change that

In the time before COVID yes and the polling pointed towards that combined with Trump’s incumbent status and a perception of having done ok on the economy. As it was Trump handled the pandemic appallingly but even then it came down to a relatively small number of votes in quite a few states. Without COVID Trump gets a second term.

You did say though that Biden would expand and stack the court. He hasn’t and instead Democratic inaction has condemned the country to being a regressive shithole

robbiekeane

That’s the consequence of the Democrats putting zero effort in to obstruct new appointments to the SC in contrast to how the Republicans did it in Obama’s last term.

They’ll be ruling in favour of the right for decades
The fact that the Supreme Court justices are appointed for life and not even democratically elected is ridiculous. How is it different to a ruling monarchy?

As for todays ruling…Handmaids tail

Brighton Sky Blue

The fact that the Supreme Court justices are appointed for life and not even democratically elected is ridiculous. How is it different to a ruling monarchy?

As for todays ruling…Handmaids tail

Even appointment by an elected president is one up from appointment by birth.

As you were

robbiekeane

Even appointment by an elected president is one up from appointment by birth.

As you were
Scraping the barrel a bit there to be fair.

Not sure if you’d interpreted that as a reference to a previous discussion around the British monarchy but if you did, it wasnt. The British monarchy is nothing more than a figurehead and doesn’t make any actual decisions. This bunch of crooks just a decision they will remove abortion rights for 36 million people. Mostly male crooks that is

Sky Blue Pete

Scraping the barrel a bit there to be fair.

Not sure if you’d interpreted that as a reference to a previous discussion around the British monarchy but if you did, it wasnt. The British monarchy is nothing more than a figurehead and doesn’t make any actual decisions. This bunch of crooks just a decision they will remove abortion rights for 36 million people. Mostly male crooks that is
Mostly white male christian ones too

Grendel

Do you understand the implications of how judges are appointed in the US?

My point is in general Obama had zero impact on the culture and approach in the US despite having big approval ratings and support - he didnt even campaign on gun control and made zero attempt at legislation

clint van damme

My point is in general Obama had zero impact on the culture and approach in the US despite having big approval ratings and support - he didnt even campaign on gun control and made zero attempt at legislation

He tried to get a couple of pieces of legislation through but failed.
Mass shootings and gun sales increased significantly on his watch.

Trump got a minor law change through which I think related to converting weapons into automatics but I don't think much has really been done by anyone since Clinton's automatic weapons ban which has now expired .

I just don't think there's enough significant will to change.

You look at the knife crime debates on here, everyone argues about the best way to solve it but not one person advocates for the carrying of knives.
The mind set towards guns over there is something else.

robbiekeane

Yeah nothing apart from Obamacare being the biggest change to the healthcare system over there in 50 odd years, granting health coverage to an additional 20+ million people.

Apart from that yeh zero impact really

clint van damme

Yeah nothing apart from Obamacare being the biggest change to the healthcare system over there in 50 odd years, granting health coverage to an additional 20+ million people.

Isn't he referring just to guns? That's how I read it.

stupot07

Check out this episode of Tom Swarbrick on Global Player - Tom Swarbrick | Global Player

From 1h 49m

Absolute disgusting ideology from a pro life campaigner in Texas, amongst other things basically said victims of rape are removing key evidence if they have a termination.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Great_Expectations

There won't stop there that's for sure. Judge Thomas in his concurring opinion mentioned overturning Griswold (which is the right to contraception), Obergefell (the right to same-sex marriage) and Lawrence (which covers gay sex).

What else can you say about this, other than it’s fucking mental.

More unrest in the US to come.

Liquid Gold

It's both the most liberal and conservative place in the western world.

I don't think it'll happen but it's ripe for balkanisation.

Brighton Sky Blue

There won't stop there that's for sure. Judge Thomas in his concurring opinion mentioned overturning Griswold (which is the right to contraception), Obergefell (the right to same-sex marriage) and Lawrence (which covers gay sex).

He did however leave out interracial marriage.

He is also in an interracial marriage.

Not a hypocritical c**t at all of course.

tisza

A country where the 2 extremes make the most noise and noise seems to equal influence.
If there was ever a time for a 3rd centrist party it's now.
Silent majority getting swamped and ignored.

Grendel

I was referring to general culture regarding guns

Grendel

No. Sickboy referenced the abortion news, hertz said it was the legacy of trump unfortunately, Grendel then went on a random Obama bash

No I didn’t trump was a product of dissatisfaction in US politics and dissolution that the symbol for change bought very little change at all

Obama care has its critics

robbiekeane

No I didn’t trump was a product of dissatisfaction in US politics and dissolution that the symbol for change bought very little change at all

Obama care has its critics

You’re better than that

Sick Boy

Unsurprising, there are some states that have/are implementing a complete ban, including in cases of rape or incest.
It's a really weird country.

Happy_Martian

What? There’s a far right and a centre right

American politics is so far gone, they really need an enema and try to start again from scratch. If you look at Sens. Manchin and Sinema, they're closer to the right than their declared centrist left beliefs are.

And I'm surprised that in a sue prevalent society like the US, that Judge's Gorsuch, Kavanagh and Comey Barrett aren't all being challenged for declaring at their confirmation hearings that they wouldn't overturn Roe. Seeing as the hearings were in the Senate, a legal body, their statements could be deemed perjury.

Users who are viewing this thread