Amadou Bakayoko - Confirmed 2 Year Deal (4 Viewers)

NorthernWisdom

I've a feeling Robins likes a project striker every year. Biamou was never a target man at Sutton but we paid a small fee and Robins spent most of last season coaching it into him. Really think he's trying to do the same here too - paid a small fee for a young player with attributes he thinks he can work with and then enhance him as a player as the season progresses.
Let's hope so!

tbh I find utterly bizarre the 'let's give him X numnber of games and then judge'. It's such an arbitrary thing to do, suggests players can't go through dips and peaks of form... where would Rosario and Adebola be if we decided 10 games was the time to judge their entire city career?

Just what is wrong in pointing out his record at Walsall is pretty dire, his start with us has not been stunning, and asking why has he signed? That's totally different from not encouraging him on the day of a match, and totally different from hoping that somewhere there's a player bursting to get out.

NorthernWisdom

It took us half a season to get off 'McWanktys' back and then he started scoring for fun...
Alternatively, he started scoring, and those on his back then got off it.

It's apples and pears anyway. McNulty at least came with some kind of profile that encouraged, and was in position to miss chances. it was often said of Andy Cole he missed about seven chances to every one scored, but the point was he had a striker's instinct and intelligence to make the runs to be in position to miss said chances. Any striker that does that will eventually start scoring. If they don't have the instinct of a forward to get into those positions then it doesn't really matter how we play, the striker won't score as he won't open up the space to be found. It's not just the midfielders' responsibility to pass him the ball, it's the striker's responsibility to get into appropriate positions.

Do that, and there's always hope!

Nick

Administrator
Alternatively, he started scoring, and those on his back then got off it.

It's apples and pears anyway. McNulty at least came with some kind of profile that encouraged, and was in position to miss chances. it was often said of Andy Cole he missed about seven chances to every one scored, but the point was he had a striker's instinct and intelligence to make the runs to be in position to miss said chances. Any striker that does that will eventually start scoring. If they don't have the instinct of a forward to get into those positions then it doesn't really matter how we play, the striker won't score as he won't open up the space to be found. It's not just the midfielders' responsibility to pass him the ball, it's the striker's responsibility to get into appropriate positions.

Do that, and there's always hope!

He has got into positions when he has the ball at his feet. Plymouth and Wimbledon he got into decent positions and linked up well with Andreu.

Irish Sky Blue

Not really we gave him the benefit of what little doubt he was crap.

All this bollocks he's not a target man.
Bakayoko is no Cyrille Regis, but a comparison can be made in the fact that you won’t see the best of them if they are played in the wrong way. Sillett based his team plan on playing to Cyrille’s strengths and not playing him as a target man, a role that didn’t suit him, as had been done by the previous Coventry manager. Bakayoko obviously isn’t a target mam. He actually looked quite neat and tidy in his 5 minutes at Gillingham when the ball was played to his feet. He may turn out to be another Kevin Kyle but to write him off after a handful of games, particularly when he is a Robin’s signing is totally unfair.

Nick

Administrator
Football is football, no matter the colour of the kit.....
So every player is either rubbish or good for every team and can't do better for a different team?

Like I said, much easier to judge him once we play to his strengths for a few games

fatso

So every player is either rubbish or good for every team and can't do better for a different team?

Like I said, much easier to judge him once we play to his strengths for a few games
What are his strengths, I hear he does a good Elvis impression.

Greggs

No, talent is talent. I would say, as a neutral, it's fair to judge a player that has featured 100+ times at this precise level

Greggs

Tbf City fans would go to that restaurant, agree that it was shit, but then go again once a fortnight anyway, believing that it must improve eventually!
All whilst criticising others for their level of realism...

Otis

Greggs, post:

The restaurant comparison is a daft analogy.

Footballers regularly have good games and bad games and quiet games and two football matches are never the same.

You go to a restaurant you should be consistently getting the same level of service night after night. They may have the odd off day, but the two things are not at all comparable.

Greggs

Yep, totally. That's why Louis Carey was player of the season and loved to bits at Bristol City but didn't pull up any trees at all here.
Could still see his quailty though. He was homesick too. Plenty of variables, but talent usually shines through.

Greggs

Greggs, post:

Footballers regularly have good games and bad games and quiet games and two football matches are never the same.

You go to a restaurant you should be consistently getting the same level of service night after night. They may have the odd off day, but the two things are not at all comparable.
But would you keep going to that poor restaurant on the premise that one day you might get a good meal??

Nick

Administrator
But would you keep going to that poor restaurant on the premise that one day you might get a good meal??
In which case McNulty would never have played again last season after his shockers.

Oh yeah "talent shines through" to try to make it different.

If we are going off walsall fans, they also seemed to think he wasn't a target man or a lone striker. Yet we chucked him there to do that.

We went round in circles the same last year about strikers.

Greggs

Greggs, post:

Ok, this one is a perhaps more relevant. Would you hire a prozzie, with terrible reviews from previous punters, on the premise that one day she might get her act together?

Otis

Could still see his quailty though. He was homesick too. Plenty of variables, but talent usually shines through.
Yeah, agree on that and Bakayoko might well prove to be crap and I did question the decision when we got him, but let's at least try and play to his strengths before we totally dismiss him as a player for this club.

Greggs

Yeah, agree on that and Bakayoko might well prove to be crap and I did question the decision when we got him, but let's at least try and play to his strengths before we totally dismiss him as a player for this club.
For the record, i've dismissed nobody, i've learnt my lesson. I just like to balance opinions. 3 types of people on here, realists, optimists and pessimists. Just constant bickering between the 3

fatso

Why would we buy a player who dosnt fit in to OUR style of play?
Should we change the whole ethos to accommodate a player with a less than impressive record, who was only realistically ever going to be a bench warmer.

Nick

Administrator
Why would we buy a player who dosnt fit in to OUR style of play?
Should we change the whole ethos to accommodate a player with a less than impressive record, who was only realistically ever going to be a bench warmer.

Robins doesn't seem to know his style of play.

Why would we sign wing backs and play wing backs in pre season and then suddenly change?

Captain Dart

I think I mentioned at half time on Blackpool thread, he looked completely brainless as well as talentless.

For then Robins to publically say after the match it looked like he didn’t have a clue what he was doing on the pitch like the first time he’s ever been on a football pitch..... Is a damning statement.

Also reading between the lines it seems This signing wasn’t the brainchild of Robins.
latest

Magwitch

Bakayoko will be okay believe me as long as we play to his strengths, that’s his feet not his neck. He has pace galore, our forwards now have pace and perhaps more to come from Chaplin if signed, let’s give the bloke a break and reserve judgement for a couple of months

Otis

Bakayoko will be okay believe me as long as we play to his strengths, that’s his feet not his neck. He has pace galore, our forwards now have pace and perhaps more to come from Chaplin if signed, let’s give the bloke a break and reserve judgement for a couple of months
Stop talking bleedin sense for gawd's sake.

Mucca Mad Boys

Why would we sign wing backs and play wing backs in pre season and then suddenly change?

We didn’t sign wing backs to play 5-3-2 though. Brown has mostly played as a LB, and whilst Sterling plays wingback for Chelsea, doesn’t mean he isn’t also a RB (he’s said he’s slightly more comfortable at WB, but that’s it). To me, Robins was looking, and experimenting with a 5-3-2 formation. We know MR is a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 manager. Personally, I didn’t think we was going to start the season off with a 5-3-2 shape, that was pretty obvious.

Otis

Let's hope so!

tbh I find utterly bizarre the 'let's give him X numnber of games and then judge'. It's such an arbitrary thing to do, suggests players can't go through dips and peaks of form... where would Rosario and Adebola be if we decided 10 games was the time to judge their entire city career?

Just what is wrong in pointing out his record at Walsall is pretty dire, his start with us has not been stunning, and asking why has he signed? That's totally different from not encouraging him on the day of a match, and totally different from hoping that somewhere there's a player bursting to get out.
I totally agree on the number of games and I only use that thinking because when I say things like give him time, the reply from some is 'how much time? How much time should we give him'?

If I then come back with 'enough time' they then ask 'how much time is enough time'?

Londonccfcfan

Oh dear oh dear

Londonccfcfan

Lol Robins doesn't know his style of play.
Don't think any of his previous managers have.
I think I should put on my boots on and see how many games it takes to discover my strengths.

Nick

Administrator
Lol Robins doesn't know his style of play.
Don't think any of his previous managers have.
I think I should put on my boots on and see how many games it takes to discover my strengths.

You keep going on but you don't seem to be able to actually discuss things?

I was saying Robins doesn't know his own style of play, hence I then mentioned wingbacks.

It would pain some if he did well, it's embarrassing. Probably the type of pricks to boo their own players, cheer when they come off and then stand and applaud McSheffrey when he scores against us.

Grendel

Tbf City fans would go to that restaurant, agree that it was shit, but then go again once a fortnight anyway, believing that it must improve eventually!

Some would go 30 times and only on the 30th time find something worth eating. Same people soul write 30 positive reviews.

Same people at a different place give it bad reviews before they even get there

Users who are viewing this thread