Allotment/Veg patch (1 Viewer)

skyblueinBaku

Too many courgettes to mention: using them up and giving them away but still have a huge pile. Also have a huge crop of chilli (which will freeze). The aubergines are starting to get big enough to pick - just taken the first with many more on the way.

This butternut squash is 70cm long and that cucumber is the thickest one I've ever seen.

View attachment 16686
I make a very tasty chutney from courgettes.

mrtrench

I make a very tasty chutney from courgettes.

Recipe please or it didn't happen. ;)

Got this image0 (1).jpeg great recipe for courgette soup from a neighbour - have made two double-ingredient batches so far (using two monster courgettes each time) and the family love it.

skyblueinBaku

I'm trying to figure out how to

Got thisView attachment 16692 great recipe for courgette soup from a neighbour - have made two double-ingredient batches so far (using two monster courgettes each time) and the family love it.
I'm trying to figure out how to upload a screenshot of the recipe. So far i've had no success.

skyblueinBaku

Got thisView attachment 16692 great recipe for courgette soup from a neighbour - have made two double-ingredient batches so far (using two monster courgettes each time) and the family love it.
I've attached a photo of the recipe in a separate post.

skyblueinBaku

This year's onions and most of the potatoes drying. Not a bad harvest of potatoes from 16 plants.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 14.06.06.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 14.06.06.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 14

skyblueinBaku

How do you maintain them until use SBD ?

So many in one go.
Impressive haul
We store the onions and potatoes in a dry outhouse. The cabbages, when cut, will last a long time in the fridge. We also give away quite a bit to neighbours.

skyblueinBaku

I've had good potatoes this year too - I grow them in bags and leave them in there until I need them.
I've tried growing them in bags a couple of times. Not with much success because I kept forgetting to water them!.

mrtrench

I've tried growing them in bags a couple of times. Not with much success because I kept forgetting to water them!.

Ah well, we have to empty the duck pond and so I'm constantly reminded by the annoyed quacks. The used duck water goes on the spuds. :)

clint van damme

bumping this thread as I've just put a couple of raised veggie beds in the garden and am hoping to get going in the next few weeks.

I could do with a bit advice on germinating.
Also looking at putting a small outdoor shelter in the garden for herbs and chillis so any advise on this welcome.

skyblueinBaku

bumping this thread as I've just put a couple of raised veggie beds in the garden and am hoping to get going in the next few weeks.

Also looking at putting a small outdoor shelter in the garden for herbs and chillis so any advise on this welcome.
Advice on germinating what?
Chillis need warmth more than herbs do, so I'm not sure about trying to grow them in the same space. Chilli seeds will need to go in soon.

clint van damme

Advice on germinating what?
Chillis need warmth more than herbs do, so I'm not sure about trying to grow them in the same space. Chilli seeds will need to go in soon.

Basically anything!
My plan is to put my first crops in the veggie beds start of March. Starting with potatoes which I'll use seed potatoes for and lettuces, do I need to germinate some of them first?

Thanks for the advice on the herbs/chillis. I'm an absolute novice at this so think I'll leave the chillis for now until I get a bit more of an idea what I'm doing.

mrtrench

Get your seed potatoes now and chit them. They need to be put somewhere lightish and warmish and chitting means that they start to grow a "tail".

When you plant them (mid to late March), dig a ditch and put in some organic matter for food. Then as they grow you pile up the earth over the top so that just a small bit of green pokes up. Continue to do this for as long as you can.

Chilli is easy to grow - just germinate in a seed tray or small pot in the warm. Need to go in now really. Nearly time to put tomatoes in too - germinate in the same way.

Lettuce is also easy to grow and I would germinate these in a seed tray too then plant out when they are big enough. However - a word of warning - the slugs may decimate them, and pigeons eat them too. Which is why I end up growing them in tubs in the greenhouse where I have more control over pests.

mrtrench

Herbs such as parsley and basil don't need to be planted yet. Parsley is a perennial so once done you'll have it for years. Basil is an annual, meaning you only get it for one year. I always pour hot water on the compost before sowing basil seeds as it helps them to germinate.

I'd just buy a small rosemary plant - harder to germinate but again is a perennial. If you plant out put in plenty of grit as it's a Mediterranean herb and needs good drainage and poorer soil. Chives are another perennial and easy to germinate. :)

mrtrench

Couple more tips - don't assume you have to use all the seeds in the packet this year. In particular, there are loads of lettuce seeds in a packet and you can sow throughout the year and still have loads left for next.

I always let my basil go to seed and then collect it for next year in the autumn. Have been doing this for 10 years with just one original packet.

Keep seeds dry and cool and they can last for years.

jimmyhillsfanclub

I planted my garlic at the weekend & moved/potted my blueberry bush.

My herbs do fine in a collection of patio pots.....rosemary, thyme, lemon balm, liquorice mint etc. all piss easy to grow, don't die if you ignore them for a while & you can happily cut bits off for cooking & cocktails as & when.......

My sunday dinner yesterday included rosemary potatoes, carrots & broccoli.....all from my little set of raised beds.

mrtrench

I planted my garlic at the weekend & moved/potted my blueberry bush.

My herbs do fine in a collection of patio pots.....rosemary, thyme, lemon balm, liquorice mint etc. all piss easy to grow, don't die if you ignore them for a while & you can happily cut bits off for cooking & cocktails as & when.......

My sunday dinner yesterday included rosemary potatoes, carrots & broccoli.....all from my little set of raised beds.

Isn't it a bit late for garlic? I always plant in autumn as I was told it had to go through the winter/a cold snap.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Isn't it a bit late for garlic? I always plant in autumn as I was told it had to go through the winter/a cold snap.

Yep.....bit late but I got away with it in January last year too......my timings are far from perfect but I'm still a relative novice and am still just chuffed everytime things are successful enough to end up on a plate.......

It was this thread that taught me about blueberries need for ericaceous soil......hence digging it up & sticking it in its own big pot.

skyblueinBaku

For the potatoes, Mr Trench is right. I put mine in egg boxes in the dining room - it's quite light and not too warm. You'll need to place them so that the 'rose end' is uppermost. The rose end is the end of the seed potato where most of the eyes are, and the shoots develop here. Chitting takes about 6 weeks. When the potato has developed strong looking sprouts about 0.5 inches long they are ready to be planted.

lifeskyblue

Some tomato varieties thrive outdoors...(if you can grow in large pots or bags or better still in bottom less pots into ground) against a south facing wall then you should get a decent crop. Chilli a little more difficult outside ...I usually have couple plants in greenhouse and couple on south facing windowsills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'd have thought the excess heat needed to ripen the chillis would make some herbs bolt (i.e. go to seed) quicker

Marty

Was gonna plant me spuds out now the frost seems to have past but they're sprouting like fuck. Any ideas on what to do with them?

Attachments

• 16173929523834311595928899702157.jpg
    16173929523834311595928899702157.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 13

mrtrench

Was gonna plant me spuds out now the frost seems to have past but they're sprouting like fuck. Any ideas on what to do with them?

They are super-chitted.

They'll be fine - just follow the instructions in the previous post.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I've never been much of a gardener, but I planted a plum tree a few weeks ago (more of a twig with off-shoots!), and now it's full of blossom. It's only about 5 feet tall. Had one years ago when I lived in Cov and it yielded loads of fruit. Looking forward to the results of this one!

Users who are viewing this thread