All purpose cricket thread (3 Viewers)

Terry Gibson's perm

Hoping to play my first game in four years on Saturday and even four years ago I only played a couple of games that season.

chiefdave

Having spent the last couple of weeks insisting the IPL will continue despite the situation in India surely they're going to have to either pull the plug or move it to the UAE, probably where it should have been staged to begin with as last years went off without a hitch there.

Overseas players starting to pull out and head home, Indian players pulling out to be with their families. I get the idea of keeping it going as its a bit of entertainment in an otherwise bleak situation but can't really see it being completed. Can't imagine any overseas player is comfortable being there now.

TomS91

Having spent the last couple of weeks insisting the IPL will continue despite the situation in India surely they're going to have to either pull the plug or move it to the UAE, probably where it should have been staged to begin with as last years went off without a hitch there.

Overseas players starting to pull out and head home, Indian players pulling out to be with their families. I get the idea of keeping it going as its a bit of entertainment in an otherwise bleak situation but can't really see it being completed. Can't imagine any overseas player is comfortable being there now.

Yeah it's madness that it's still going ahead - if I was an overseas player I'd be on the first flight home. Truly horrendous scenes over there. Very very scary.

Terry Gibson's perm

we didn’t have any pre season training this year. Played a friendly a couple of weeks ago and could barely get up the stairs to bed that night!

I am worried now, but I only intend to bat and I playing the fourth team so should come up against many Brett Lee’s😉

chiefdave

Can't go on much longer surely? There's Australian players, commentators and even an umpire stranded as they aren't allowed to return. Some have left India for other countries. With the secure bubble now breached continuing must be a huge risk.

The only option I can see is everyone moving to the UAE to finish the competition but that's a big undertaking and would add 3 or 4 weeks to the schedule by the time preparations were made, everyone travels and quarantines.

Terry Gibson's perm

My game got cancelled as there was COVID at Higham Lane so the opposition were short on players and this week doesn’t look promising as the weather is shocking.

eastwoodsdustman

I felt like I’d had a punch between the shoulder blades yesterday and was too stiff to ride my bike but all good today. I managed 7 overs on he trot on Saturday and batted for a good while too.

Brighton Sky Blue

I felt like I’d had a punch between the shoulder blades yesterday and was too stiff to ride my bike but all good today. I managed 7 overs on he trot on Saturday and batted for a good while too.

Never like coming on to bat near the end, I like being in the middle for a decent time as usually I won't bowl. Not easy getting net time at the moment either with it needing pre-booking in small groups which doesn't help when you aren't a club member

eastwoodsdustman

Never like coming on to bat near the end, I like being in the middle for a decent time as usually I won't bowl. Not easy getting net time at the moment either with it needing pre-booking in small groups which doesn't help when you aren't a club member
A few of our lads had been going to edgwick park as there’s some nets up there. Now might be a good time to get up there with Ramadan being on at the minute.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Can't go on much longer surely? There's Australian players, commentators and even an umpire stranded as they aren't allowed to return. Some have left India for other countries. With the secure bubble now breached continuing must be a huge risk.

The only option I can see is everyone moving to the UAE to finish the competition but that's a big undertaking and would add 3 or 4 weeks to the schedule by the time preparations were made, everyone travels and quarantines.

This season's IPL now postponed. Not a surprise. Hope everyone gets home safely and healthy.

chiefdave

Slater, who has been over there commentating, is kicking off that the Australian government won't make an exception and organise his return.

Not got a lot of sympathy to be honest. Happy to travel there and take the money but now wants someone else to sort things for him. Its not like there's no way for him to get back, all he has to do is go to another country first for two weeks, others in the same situation are heading off to resorts for a two week holiday and will then return to Australia from there.

ovduk78

Slater, who has been over there commentating, is kicking off that the Australian government won't make an exception and organise his return.

Not got a lot of sympathy to be honest. Happy to travel there and take the money but now wants someone else to sort things for him. Its not like there's no way for him to get back, all he has to do is go to another country first for two weeks, others in the same situation are heading off to resorts for a two week holiday and will then return to Australia from there.
Chris Lynn said last week that Cricket Australia should charter a plane to fly them all back because they get 10% of all the contracts involving Australians. Maybe they should personally charter a plane using some of their 90%!?

chiefdave

Chris Lynn said last week that Cricket Australia should charter a plane to fly them all back because they get 10% of all the contracts involving Australians. Maybe they should personally charter a plane using some of their 90%!?
They've being flown to the Maldives, couple of weeks there isn't exactly a disaster. Looks like BCCI are footing the bill and will fly a charter from there back to Australia subject to government approval with Cricket Australia being very clear they aren't seeking any exception to the rules in place.

With no IPL Sky Sports are showing county championship games. Looks like they're just taking the Middlesex live stream already being produced but adding Mike Atherton, Nasser Hussain, Rob Key and Ian Ward so that there's full commentary rather than just the same two people for 4 days.

Terry Gibson's perm

Another Yates hundred hopefully pile the runs on and then bowl that shower out quickly twice. We have second eleven bowlers that are way ahead of that lot today.

1nilandwe...

Sky showing County Championship matches from the live streams is exactly what should be happening and I'm very pleased that it is.
I hope that they have the flexibility to switch to other matches as and when they get interesting. There always seems to be one that goes to a final day nail-biter and it's the sort of thing that could grab new fans who happen to switch on.

With all this footage, I'd also like to see some sort of Match of the Day style round-up show. It wouldn't have to be big budget, but it could show the last 30-45mins of a close game, and then round up what happened elsewhere. Show the league tables, batting/bowling averages and such.

Please somebody tell me that this isn't too much to ask for?

1nilandwe...

Also, solid day for Warwickshire yesterday. Yates is starting to look very accomplished and Pieter Malan looked like a step up from Vihari, despite a scratchy start. Not a brilliant batting performance, but it should be enough against a weak looking Worcestershire side, you'd think.

Nice to see Burgess get some runs. More worrying to see Rhodes out cheaply again.

rexo87

Played with Yates throughout the Warwickshire age groups. He was thought of very highly from a very young age. His temperament is his biggest asset. Would be surprised if he doesn’t play test cricket for England.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1nilandwe...

No Bears game today so I was wondering what I would do if Sibley comes back from injury before England duty calls.
I like the look of Yates, Malan, Hain. So does Lamb make way in order to move Rhodes down the order? Or is Rhodes place in the side in jeopardy?

Terry Gibson's perm

No Bears game today so I was wondering what I would do if Sibley comes back from injury before England duty calls.
I like the look of Yates, Malan, Hain. So does Lamb make way in order to move Rhodes down the order? Or is Rhodes place in the side in jeopardy?

They would leave out Lamb, Rhodes is bowling a bit more now so will be back to being almost an all rounder.

chiefdave

Archer didn't make it through his first game on return from injury and is out of the test series. Why do we have so much trouble keeping pace bowlers fit?

1nilandwe...

Got tickets for the Birmingham test vs NZ (COVID dependent of course). Gutted that Archer won't be fit. England have got to get him in top condition for the Ashes. Could be very important down there.

Users who are viewing this thread