All purpose cricket thread (3 Viewers)

tisza

Confusing Test. One exceptional innings was basically it for NZ batting. Their bowling was far stronger.
England batting lineup looked vulnerable and inexperienced. Bowling better but it was the change bowlers that outshone the openers.
not an easy wicket.
NZ looked what they are - an experienced, competitive side that are used to playing together. England looked like a side missing key players and again paid a price for resting/ rotating players. That batting lineup needs waking up or freshening up.

Terry Gibson's perm

Haven't seen them. Are they bad?

Stupid I would say but he didn’t make them yesterday it was when he was eighteen so over eight years ago. People are saying he needs to learn a lesson but as he doesn’t seem to have made any since 2013 you would have to think he has already.

SlowerThanPlatt

I’m surprised how often it happens, would think once they get to a certain profile their representatives would remove any historic content which stands to harm their career.

chiefdave

Stupid I would say but he didn’t make them yesterday it was when he was eighteen so over eight years ago. People are saying he needs to learn a lesson but as he doesn’t seem to have made any since 2013 you would have to think he has already.
This is the issue for me. Leaving aside the issue of someone deciding to dig through years of tweets to try and unearth something when he makes his test debut he made the tweets in 2012 & 2013. How old does a tweet have to be before its inconsequential or is this now the norm and anyone who made a dodgy tweet when they were a kid or teen is screwed forever?

By his own admission he was out of control then which resulted in him being sacked by Yorkshire in 2014. Took him a while to get a new club, trialled at Hampshire but never played a first class game. Was only an injury crisis at Susses that saw him given a chance at the start of the 2015 season. Had a brilliant season, winning a couple of rewards and got a contract of the back of it. As far as I can tell there's been no hint of his old behaviour.

From the ECBs action you could potentially draw the conclusion that people can never change which renders all the anti-racism campaigns useless. Is this a case of a load of middle aged white men making the decision based more on how they want to appear than what they offence actually warrants? Don't think there's an easy answer.

Also questions to be asked of Jason Ratcliffe and his management team, same with the ECB and in particular the media team. How did nobody spot this?

chiefdave

Haven't seen them. Are they bad?
IMO they aren't that bad. I mean they're not good but in the grand scheme of things not really sure they warrant a suspension nearly 10 years on.

Although as a middle aged white male I'm possibly not in the best position to judge!

Hopefully these are hidden for those that don't want to see.

Terry Gibson's perm

Michael Carberry has called for a lifetime ban for Robinson saying that rehabilitation doesn’t work if that’s the case they may as well cut all the payments to any of the people who do the rehabilitation courses etc and see how that goes.

chiefdave

Michael Carberry has called for a lifetime ban for Robinson saying that rehabilitation doesn’t work if that’s the case they may as well cut all the payments to any of the people who do the rehabilitation courses etc and see how that goes.
This is the problem for me. If you're saying tweets 10 years ago are an issue you're saying people can't change. If you're saying people can't change then all the anti-racism programs we see if football, cricket etc are a waste of time.

Is it not better to use him as an example of a guy whose life was a mess. Got fired from his county, didn't have a club for nearly a year, failed a trial at Hampshire and then came good when given a chance. Show what happens if you stop being a dick and put the work in.

tisza

Can't agree with Carberry. As you say no point in rehabilitation courses etc. If Robinson had been written these things recently then there'd be a case for banning him for a longer a period of time. It's hard to see the need to punish Robinson for historical offences as can be argued he has rehabilitated himself if there are no recent cases.
Michael Vaughan wrote that ECB were worried they'd be criticised if they did nothing.

Grendel

If that was adopted in politics that’s the end for Zara Sultana

Even Femi earlier was reasonable about it

SBAndy

If rehabilitation doesn’t work, does that mean we bring back the death penalty and conduct a mass cull?

chiefdave

Probably too late as it was Wisden who had been checking players twitter history and flagged this 2nd player
Doesn't seem to have gone down well with their readers. They're now claiming they didn't go looking for it.

CCFCSteve

More England players found to have historically posted dubious tweets. ECB have some tricky decisions to make.

So now Jimmy Anderson is having to apologise for saying Broad had a haircut like a 15 year lesbian 10 years ago. I mean FFS.

Basically we can all cut any joking/banter with mates in public as we will undoubtedly offend someone, if not now, probably in 5, 10, 15 years to come !

Ps Robinsons tweets were slightly different and required some kind of additional review (guessing ECB might be checking if anything else is likely to be unearthed). Even so, people’s language and behaviours can change dramatically from being an immature 18 year old to late 20s/30s, as does the worlds view. I look back and cringe at some of the stuff I said taking the piss out of mates at that age but that’s because time and I have moved on a fair bit since

chiefdave

Offensive jokes have always been a thing. You can't look at things from 10 years ago and judge them by todays standard. We're talking about very different things to someone directing racist abuse at someone IMO.

Is there really anyone who is getting offended because 10 years ago Anderson told Broad his haircut looked like a lesbian? They're constantly ripping the piss out of each other on social media.

Brighton Sky Blue

Offensive jokes have always been a thing. You can't look at things from 10 years ago and judge them by todays standard. We're talking about very different things to someone directing racist abuse at someone IMO.

Is there really anyone who is getting offended because 10 years ago Anderson told Broad his haircut looked like a lesbian? They're constantly ripping the piss out of each other on social media.

Anderson, Broad and Cook made a naked calendar about the same time but I assume nobody’s trying to get them dropped over it

tisza

Need to consider some sort of amnesty for the poor judgement jokes etc. or else this will keep on going. Obviously not for more serious statements, points of view etc.
Cricketers have agents. Why aren't they making sure they clean up their social media histories?
Talk of Overton replacing Robinson hardly going to be without some controversy

Sky Blue Pete

Need to consider some sort of amnesty for the poor judgement jokes etc. or else this will keep on going. Obviously not for more serious statements, points of view etc.
Cricketers have agents. Why aren't they making sure they clean up their social media histories?
Talk of Overton replacing Robinson hardly going to be without some controversy
Someone said that it would have been different if archer had been in the dressing room. I’m not sure it would. I’m pretty sure many many 19 year olds have said things they regret as 29 year olds

Users who are viewing this thread