All purpose cricket thread (1 Viewer)

tisza

Someone said that it would have been different if archer had been in the dressing room. I’m not sure it would. I’m pretty sure many many 19 year olds have said things they regret as 29 year olds
It's hard when they personalize it by saying how Archer might have reacted. Could have been offended, could have thought some of the "sexist" stuff was amusing, could have thought it was a storm in a teacup. What offends one person may not offend another. Not fair to shift it onto Archer and tell him how he should feel about it. Just because Carberry feels one way doesn't mean Archer would.
Obviously players right now are properly aware their social media history is fair game. Doubt Robinson even remembered making those tweets given how long ago it was. So now there are no excuses going forward but there has to be some common sense in dealing with historical posts etc.
There are companies out there that specialize in cleaning up people's social media for various reasons - job interviews, background checks etc. Maybe they'll be getting plenty of work over next few weeks.
ECB's PR nightmare must be a black/Asian player being found to have made "sexist" tweets years back.
Some of Robinson's "sexist" tweets I still don't get - the boxing & video games ones in particular. Media always full of stuff about if you like x hobby/pastime it could improve your sex life. Loads of us have taken girlfriends, female family members to football and said Never Again !! We have several TVs because I can't sit and watch certain sports with my wife or daughters without them sitting there moaning it's boring or pointless.

1nilandwe...

Got tickets for Friday and Saturday and absolutely can't wait.
Been a bit of palaver getting everybody to fill out consent forms and take COVID tests and stuff, but hopefully it'll all run smoothly.
The thought of that first over-priced generic lager sat in the sun next to my mates has been keeping me going the last few days.

Chuffed that they've gone for Stone ahead of Overton today. Anderson, Broad, Wood and Stone should be great to watch.

Sky Blue Pete

Got tickets for Friday and Saturday and absolutely can't wait.
Been a bit of palaver getting everybody to fill out consent forms and take COVID tests and stuff, but hopefully it'll all run smoothly.
The thought of that first over-priced generic lager sat in the sun next to my mates has been keeping me going the last few days.

Chuffed that they've gone for Stone ahead of Overton today. Anderson, Broad, Wood and Stone should be great to watch.
No leach

Sky Blue Pete

Which is a shame, but I'm not surprised.
I think that England believe they can get away with a bit of part time spin until Stokes or Woakes is back in the team, which will give them a bit more flexibility. Without Stokes, the balance of the side always looks wrong.
Always does when an all rounder is so good

1nilandwe...

Plenty of Kiwis out today too which is another shame. Would loved to have seen Boult and Southee bowling together. Probably never will now.

I'll be routing for NZ pretty hard in the Test Championship, so a big part of me wants them also to do well in this test.

tisza

Which is a shame, but I'm not surprised.
I think that England believe they can get away with a bit of part time spin until Stokes or Woakes is back in the team, which will give them a bit more flexibility. Without Stokes, the balance of the side always looks wrong.
Woakes still under-rated with bat and ball. Was a big miss for Lords test considering his record there.

TomS91

So great to see and hear the crowd again - what a difference it makes to the viewing experience. I can't wait to get back to sports grounds.

TomS91

Time to rethink Crawley.That one big innings massively padding his stats and the number of caught behinds or in the slips means teams have worked him out.
Inclined to agree that he needs to go away and get more experience in County Cricket. Who replaces him though?

Terry Gibson's perm

Inclined to agree that he needs to go away and get more experience in County Cricket. Who replaces him though?

When Stokes comes back they will need to find him a space. As they have recalled Hameed they must think he is back ready.

chiefdave

I like Crawley and I like that we don't immediately drop someone these days when they don't perform but we're getting to a point where he just doesn't look like he's going to recover so probably best to take him out of the firing line.

Terry Gibson's perm

I like Crawley and I like that we don't immediately drop someone these days when they don't perform but we're getting to a point where he just doesn't look like he's going to recover so probably best to take him out of the firing line.

The problem with Crawley is if they drop him out will he score a pile of runs in first class cricket?

I haven’t watched as much of the bears stream this year but in the games I have seen nobody from the opposition has stood out and the only bear has been Yates who is very much on the England radar but it’s definitely too soon yet.

tisza

The problem with Crawley is if they drop him out will he score a pile of runs in first class cricket?

I haven’t watched as much of the bears stream this year but in the games I have seen nobody from the opposition has stood out and the only bear has been Yates who is very much on the England radar but it’s definitely too soon yet.
Part of the problem is that he hadn't scored a pile of county runs before he got into the side. 2 years of county cricket averaging under 35. But one of those players that they'd identified as a Test player early on and so that was it. How they identify players that way before they've done much is an unexplained science.
England Lions fell by the way side even that after it had just seemed to focus on white ball cricket.
The hype around the likes of Hain & Joe Clarke seems to subsided as well
For all the unending riches in the bowling dept (and there's more than a few good enough in county cricket to step up) batting is depressingly thin

CCFCSteve

Our order looks very flakey*. Pope, who is by all accounts very talented, just hasn’t done it consistently, add a couple of others who are out of form (or maybe not good enough yet) and it’s tricky seeing us getting big scores at the moment

Need these pair (Burns and Lawrence) to hang around...just passed my lateral flow test so all set tomorrow...hoping we’re still batting ! 🤞

*although Stokes, Buttler (or Foakes) and possibly Bairstow could all come back in against India which would certainly give it a more solid feel

tisza

Comes back to this overwhelming desire of the management to have attacking batsmen who can score quickly. Need to remind these players they can get in first before upping their scoring rates. The better Test teams are just keeping it tight and letting some of these England players get themselves out.
For all the criticism of Sibley and slow batting he was brought in to add stability up front for a side that could not find openers who could stick around even long enough to get 50 run opening partnerships.

Terry Gibson's perm

Part of the problem is that he hadn't scored a pile of county runs before he got into the side. 2 years of county cricket averaging under 35. But one of those players that they'd identified as a Test player early on and so that was it. How they identify players that way before they've done much is an unexplained science.
England Lions fell by the way side even that after it had just seemed to focus on white ball cricket.
The hype around the likes of Hain & Joe Clarke seems to subsided as well
For all the unending riches in the bowling dept (and there's more than a few good enough in county cricket to step up) batting is depressingly thin

Clarke I think had some off field issues so he is a non starter, Hain has everything you want in a cricketer but just doesn’t produce enough runs in the county game, the white ball will come out and the will smack it to all corners.

If Yates keeps progressing as he is he will score a mountain of runs, the England scouts were at Derby last week and they can’t have been watching anything from Derby as they are shit.

Terry Gibson's perm

So nice to have fans in the ground and there is no better ground to have them in you can see the players and even commentary team are loving having fans and they all love the atmosphere and the Hollis is warming up.

tisza

Clarke I think had some off field issues so he is a non starter, Hain has everything you want in a cricketer but just doesn’t produce enough runs in the county game, the white ball will come out and the will smack it to all corners.
Clarke's form dipped after all that Worcs business with Hepburn & the court cases.
Other big problem could be starting to see the impact of white ball cricket (T20 in particular) on the cricket youngsters are mainly playing atm. Counties handing out separate white ball and red ball contracts. The money to be made from being a good T20 player dwarves a county red ball contract - seeing players turning up all year round in the likes of Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Canada earning money from T20
Selectors were apparently checking out Rhodes rather than Yates. But below the current Test side it;s still the likes of Denly, Clarke, Northeast, Ballance & Vince that are supposedly next up - that's not encouraging

SBAndy

Our order looks very flakey*. Pope, who is by all accounts very talented, just hasn’t done it consistently, add a couple of others who are out of form (or maybe not good enough yet) and it’s tricky seeing us getting big scores at the moment

Need these pair (Burns and Lawrence) to hang around...just passed my lateral flow test so all set tomorrow...hoping we’re still batting ! 🤞

*although Stokes, Buttler (or Foakes) and possibly Bairstow could all come back in against India which would certainly give it a more solid feel

Re the lateral flow test, do you complete it and then submit the outcome yourself or is it more complex than that? Is it possible that people could test positive and then just put in that they’re negative? Curious as to how these test events work.

Terry Gibson's perm

Clarke's form dipped after all that Worcs business with Hepburn & the court cases.
Other big problem could be starting to see the impact of white ball cricket (T20 in particular) on the cricket youngsters are mainly playing atm. Counties handing out separate white ball and red ball contracts. The money to be made from being a good T20 player dwarves a county red ball contract - seeing players turning up all year round in the likes of Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Canada earning money from T20
Selectors were apparently checking out Rhodes rather than Yates. But below the current Test side it;s still the likes of Denly, Clarke, Northeast, Ballance & Vince that are supposedly next up - that's not encouraging

Rhodes is a long way off test standard.

CCFCSteve

Re the lateral flow test, do you complete it and then submit the outcome yourself or is it more complex than that? Is it possible that people could test positive and then just put in that they’re negative? Curious as to how these test events work.

exactly what my mate and I were just discussing, they basically rely on honesty of tester ! Bit tricky to do but got a genuine negative

ps WTF was that shot from Bracey first ball ?!!

Terry Gibson's perm

If they bowl well you might see England’s second innings 😉

Terry Gibson's perm

😂 I actually prefer watching us bowl in tests (unless flat wicket)...was hoping we’d still be batting as it would mean we’d at least post a semi competitive score...as I said earlier though...flakey !

Jimmy, broadly...can you dig us out the shit again please

The atmosphere will be electric if England get into them it’s a bit more difficult when you are batting

Users who are viewing this thread