All purpose cricket thread (6 Viewers)

Brighton Sky Blue

Watch some of the "great" white ball batsmen and they still build an innings (even if they are in early during the powerplay). Accelerate through their innings.
England have so many coaches (may be too many) some obviously not doing their job properly. Other issue is Root really the right captain who can read the Riot Act to some of these batsmen?

If Tests just aren’t a priority for England that’s fine but then perhaps we should allow another country to take it seriously.

Terry Gibson's perm

Watched the t20 for the bears today As much as you can tell from it Chris Woakes looks ready for the test side some tidy bowling and big hitting at the end.

Terry Gibson's perm

Great game again today. Thought they'd blown it when the wickets were tumbling.

Braithwaite is a monster it looks like he is picking up a kids bat. Malan again though, it’s about time we had a big name t20 star and should try to get him back next year and one other. Briggs is an absolute steal as well

Terry Gibson's perm

Malan looked a lot better for his 60 odd tonight including a couple of big sixes.

Terry Gibson's perm

Hain must be called up by England soon in the shorter games it’s getting ridiculous now

Terry Gibson's perm

Briggs is a good signing and seems to be performing in all formats (signing players like this is easier when you have people like Farbrace at the club)

Miles finally looks fit and with Norwell will never get called up by England so perfect.

Hain in white ball cricket is different class.

Brathwaite is the big signing they needed and will explode at some point and destroy an attack.

It also helps that England have decided that Woakes is not needed and I think I read that he hasn’t played for England’s test team since last September madness. Looks like it may have been August

tisza

Briggs is a good signing and seems to be performing in all formats (signing players like this is easier when you have people like Farbrace at the club)
Having watched his red ball bowling earlier in the season hard to see why he wasn't getting more at previous counties. Thought he's looked threatening in all forms

Terry Gibson's perm

Having watched his red ball bowling earlier in the season hard to see why he wasn't getting more at previous counties. Thought he's looked threatening in all forms

I’m not sure now but Hampshire we’re like a kolpak 11 and Sussex must have a top level spinner if they don’t need him.

chiefdave

This is a phenomenal comeback from England. India's first wicket fell at 167 and they're now 187-7. Sophie Ecclestone leading the way, unlike Indian teams to not be able to cope with spin.

Meanwhile at Southampton in unsurprising news it looks like the 1st day of the World Test Championship final will be a washout.

Terry Gibson's perm

This is a phenomenal comeback from England. India's first wicket fell at 167 and they're now 187-7. Sophie Ecclestone leading the way, unlike Indian teams to not be able to cope with spin.

Meanwhile at Southampton in unsurprising news it looks like the 1st day of the World Test Championship final will be a washout.

Surely they have reserve days for the test championship

chiefdave

Surely they have reserve days for the test championship
Only one, although I don't see what's stopping them adding more on if both teams agree. But it seems you can't make up part days so they're better off missing a whole day today and then they can use the reserve day. From what has been said if they bowl a single ball that counts as a days play so you can't use the reserve day as a replacement.

1nilandwe...

Only one, although I don't see what's stopping them adding more on if both teams agree. But it seems you can't make up part days so they're better off missing a whole day today and then they can use the reserve day. From what has been said if they bowl a single ball that counts as a days play so you can't use the reserve day as a replacement.
I'm sure that there is some good reason for this rule somewhere or other, but it really is one of those things that seems to be borne out of anachronisms and stubbornness, and makes cricket look ridiculous.

I hope that women manage to get enough time to make a match of it against India. They don't play anywhere near enough long format cricket as it is, and a rain affected draw would be a great shame. India look like they've found a decent batter though. Shefali Verma making it all look very easy.

SBAndy

I'm sure that there is some good reason for this rule somewhere or other, but it really is one of those things that seems to be borne out of anachronisms and stubbornness, and makes cricket look ridiculous.

Agreed. I get that you can’t go back to timeless tests like the old times but equally, a test match should be 450 overs (90 per day over 5 days) so what’s the harm in having an over limit rather than a day limit?

Brighton Sky Blue

Agreed. I get that you can’t go back to timeless tests like the old times but equally, a test match should be 450 overs (90 per day over 5 days) so what’s the harm in having an over limit rather than a day limit?

How would you manage ticketing, for starters?

SBAndy

How would you manage ticketing, for starters?

Looks like I’ve fallen at the first hurdle.

Edit: Actually, sell tickets for 5 days as standard. Any days where there’s less than 30 overs you can purchase a ticket for a reserve day for an additional sum (maybe £10-15 rather than the full amount again)? I haven’t fully thought this through.

Brighton Sky Blue

Looks like I’ve fallen at the first hurdle.

Edit: Actually, sell tickets for 5 days as standard. Any days where there’s less than 30 overs you can purchase a ticket for a reserve day for an additional sum (maybe £10-15 rather than the full amount again)? I haven’t fully thought this through.

To be honest I think the most entertaining finishes have come about from the 5 day limit. I would like to see more day/night Tests though

Terry Gibson's perm

The players should just be told to hurry up to get the overs in each day, ridiculous amounts of drinks breaks don’t help also they would have to bowl more overs of spin and cut down the field changes and general chat.

I played a game last week and the drinks break was due in two overs and the batsman called for a drink

Brighton Sky Blue

The players should just be told to hurry up to get the overs in each day, ridiculous amounts of drinks breaks don’t help also they would have to bowl more overs of spin and cut down the field changes and general chat.

I played a game last week and the drinks break was due in two overs and the batsman called for a drink

I was at the bar to be fair

tisza

Was Woakes tired as he was left out? He has been treated shabbily by England.
Problem is being good isn't necessarily good enough. England fixate ( in white ball in particular) on the need for something different. Not always a good policy. Don't tell me Willey & Jordan are better options than Woakes in any form of the game.
I suppose Archer and Stokes walk back in but has to be a place for Woakes somewhere in there. Probably up against Sam Curran.

chiefdave

Complete shambles at Edgbaston tonight. Cain must have thought it was a good idea to copy what he did at Wasps and give away loads of free tickets. The result was a couple of thousand pissed up students paying no attention to the game, multiple stoppages for pitch invasions, no social distancing etc.

Surprised they pushed it to students, didn't a uni rugby team trash the hospitality area shortly after a small fortune had been spent upgrading it all?

SBAndy

Ah, so it is the same Cain chap. Saw him on Midlands Today last week and thought it might be.

Users who are viewing this thread