Adam Armstrong To Join (1 Viewer)

covcity4life

wll prob partner tudgay/new striker in a front 2 rather than out and out number 10

i trust the manager so happy with this signing!

2 more loans (1 winger 1 striker) and we are good to go!

Wheelfass

No matter that he's only 18. It's got to be a positive loan signing. There's apparently no money in the pot for proven experienced goal scorers. We'll just have to keep everything crossed that this turns out to be a clever move by TM and that we're happy to have got in first.

Hobo

You're usually sharper than this.

The most likely team to sign Maddison is Villa as They Need to bolster their development squad. He will develop better here if Del Fonz is anything to go by.

Ashdown

Could be a cracking prospect but it's well known that League 1 is full of tough, physical players who will bully the youngsters. I think we would need an older more seasoned pro to play up with him for protection.

chiefdave

Its a 6 month loan deal - I don't like these type of loans why not a season long loan?

Isn't there some rule that if its a season long loan they can't be recalled? That could be the reason, gives them the option to have him back in Jan if needed. If he's playing well and happy here and not going to get in Newcastle's first team there's no reason it can't be extended.

LB87ccfc

Superb addition, a very quick and intelligent young man, keen eye for goal,and not afraid to shoot with either foot.

Have seen the lad play a few times and he will be a very astute signing for this division, a few of my Newcastle supporting friends are saying we have got a very good player on our hands, give him time and encouragement.

AFCCOVENTRY

Disappointed it's a 6 month loan. If he does well there's always that risk he will go back or a Championship club will then take him.

Captain Dart

Last edited:

Sky Blue Dal

Too lightweight, we need a big lump to throw in with that lot !

You probably right and so was Callum Wilson but he worked wonders for us. Therefore I am happy to give Armstrong a chance.

He does look good and I really hope he turns out to be a gem for us.

pusbccfc

Cannot believe Newcastle have allowed him to drop to league one! He is good enough for the championship!

Ashdown

You probably right and so was Callum Wilson but he worked wonders for us. Therefore I am happy to give Armstrong a chance.

He does look good and I really hope he turns out to be a gem for us.

I didn't mean specifically Armstrong, I meant CCFL's overall list.

LJC_CCFC

Well at the very least it is another body in up top. Airing on the side of caution with this one due to his age, height and build but from his few cameo performances for Newcastle, it's fair to say he hasn't looked out of place. We have been in desperate need of pace and TM has now delivered that, yet another common sense decision which gives me even more hope for the new season.

Last edited:

ccfcway

we just don't know the background to this deal.

Ideally TM may have wanted a season long loan and Newcastle said no. We may have been faced with a 6 month loan or nothing, as there may have been other teams willing to take those terms.

As TM said himself, its all about the player progression to the 1st team. If they see 6 months in League One, followed by the rest of the season in championship, meaning he could compete for a place in their squad in 16/17 season, it makes sense from a Newcastle point of view.

Out of curiosity as I cant recall, have we had many season long loans ?

Last edited:

BackRoomRummermill

I suppose Mogga has a good reputation and this might play a factor in how parent clubs see their players develop. It's a win/win all round.

if he does play a blinder for us and then leaves in Jan I will have no bitterness , it will be appreciation he has helped CCFC on the journey back to the Championship in some way.

Last edited:

ericagradus

This potential signing is a clear indication as to why we, as a league 1 club, without a stadium and 'difficult owners' should be very grateful for having TM as our manager. We would not be able to attract players of Armstrong's ability without TM.

Yes, he is not an out and out striker, but I have no doubt from when I have seem him play and from the feedback from my Geordie friends, that he is a really coup for a league 1 club.

He is a small player, but he is not shy of getting stuck in and I don't think I would class him as light weight.

In an ideal world, we would have been able to secure a year long loan, but I presume the Toon, prefer this option and the potential to him to move to a Championship club if there is a demand.

Really looking forward to this getting officially announced.

Last edited:

phildownunder

I`m a believer in the old adage "if he`s good enough, he`s old enough". Many players have shown their full potential at a young age and gone on to great success. Time will tell whether this lad turns out to be good for us or not, but I don`t think we should be worrying too much simply because of his age.

At this club we had Jordan Henderson who showed his class at 19 when on loan with us, and older fans will remember a skinny 18 year old who started with us in the old 3rd division and didn`t do too badly ;- that was Ronnie Rees.

lifeskyblue

This is both positive and negative for ccfc. Positive in that it shows we can attract (through Mowbray) good young players on loan. Bad in that we can't develop a first team that is settled for a season. Good in that if Armstrong does well other premier clubs will look to ccfc to help develop their youngsters. Bad in that we could become a very unsettled side with our own youngsters pushed out. Good in that the football we watch could be entertaining and exciting but then there is a danger of it becoming disjointed. Overall short term good for ccfc...but long term whilst it will benefit the big boys of the premiership to blood their (home grown) youth players it might mean lower league clubs become over reliant on these loans and give them reason to no longer develop their own youngsters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SlowerThanPlatt

He has a strong resemblance to Danny Ings. I believe our first team coach Jamie Clapham works with England under 18s, so don't be surprised to see Ryan Ledson come in aswell the captain of the 18s team who Mowbray watched against Rhyl. Good contacts go a long way in football...

SkyBlueCRJ

Have to admit I'm cautiously excited by this signing. Armstrong has been tipped to be a future star in recent years since his early debut for Newcastle in March 2014. Great balance, tactical awareness, vision, finishing ability and speed. Have to agree with some of the posts on here though. Typically, Armstrong is played in the number 10 role. With Maddison and Lamieras already competing for this position, could this mean that one of the two will be overlooked this season? Would much rather we grow our young talent than bring in a loanee but can't pass up a player the caliber of Armstrong. Finally we've got someone who can both assist and score. Something that was hugely missed with the absence of Baker/Moussa last season.

Hobo

This is both positive and negative for ccfc. Positive in that it shows we can attract (through Mowbray) good young players on loan. Bad in that we can't develop a first team that is settled for a season. Good in that if Armstrong does well other premier clubs will look to ccfc to help develop their youngsters. Bad in that we could become a very unsettled side with our own youngsters pushed out. Good in that the football we watch could be entertaining and exciting but then there is a danger of it becoming disjointed. Overall short term good for ccfc...but long term whilst it will benefit the big boys of the premiership to blood their (home grown) youth players it might mean lower league clubs become over reliant on these loans and give them reason to no longer develop their own youngsters.

The use of loans is part of life in League 1, even the Championship.

lifeskyblue

The use of loans is part of life in League 1, even the Championship.

Yes I know. And while it is we are right to take advantage where we can. However for me the downside is that managers find it more difficult to build a settledside and ultimately it reduces the amount of young British talent in the game

Hobo

Yes I know. And while it is we are right to take advantage where we can. However for me the downside is that managers find it more difficult to build a settledside and ultimately it reduces the amount of young British talent in the game

Hopefully it gives opportunity to the best British talent in the game, the secret is to be astute in who you bring in.

Shake_and_McPake

Facebook User
Like a couple here, my best mate is a die hard Geordie, so he always get a ripping from me. But i've asked him his opinion, he's very positive he'll do the business for us. Says he quick, stronger than he looks (Which was my concern against Maddison who's the same age and as strong as an orange) and is a monster in front of goal.

Reading everyone's views here I thought "Here we go, everyone expecting 20 goals this season from him.", then again, he's used to fans who expect the earth even though it's never delivered up in Newcastle so he should fit in great at a minimum!

Really excited to see Maddison-Armstrong-Lameiras up top, at minimum the pace will frighten teams to death. Throw Tudgay in to hold the ball up/release it/flick on and lets see what happens here. Hopefully at a minimum a couple more good signings and we won't be in a relegation fight, which would be a huge positive after the last few seasons. Way too many close shaves.

Welcome Adam!

CCFC_Charlie

My cousin worked as a performance analyst intern at Newcastle last season while he was at Uni and he says that Armstrong was the best player in their u21s last season. He's not a Sky Blue but he's really positive about this signing.

stupot07

Like a couple here, my best mate is a die hard Geordie, so he always get a ripping from me. But i've asked him his opinion, he's very positive he'll do the business for us. Says he quick, stronger than he looks (Which was my concern against Maddison who's the same age and as strong as an orange) and is a monster in front of goal.

Reading everyone's views here I thought "Here we go, everyone expecting 20 goals this season from him.", then again, he's used to fans who expect the earth even though it's never delivered up in Newcastle so he should fit in great at a minimum!

Really excited to see Maddison-Armstrong-Lameiras up top, at minimum the pace will frighten teams to death. Throw Tudgay in to hold the ball up/release it/flick on and lets see what happens here. Hopefully at a minimum a couple more good signings and we won't be in a relegation fight, which would be a huge positive after the last few seasons. Way too many close shaves.

Welcome Adam!

Maddison and Lameiras aren't particularly pacy, quick footed and thinking yes, running speed not really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Skyblueweeman

It doesn't matter who we bring in success is not a given. But I think this is a useful acquisition. Yes he is very young and it is a step up, but looks ahead of our youngsters.

Step up?? I'd say it's 2 steps down to be honest.

Training with Newcastles first team, playing internationals at the U's levels and having come in 15 Prem League matches to coming to Cov? Defo a step down, regardless of starting more games.

A stepping stone maybe, but not a step up...

rupert_bear

Perhaps Newcastle are being smart and using us to see how good Armstrong would be at championship level which imo is where they could be in the16/17 season

Shake_and_McPake

Facebook User
Maddison and Lameiras aren't particularly pacy, quick footed and thinking yes, running speed not really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Really? I know Maddison isn't particularly quick but I thought Lameiras had some pace. I know Armstrong is rapid, my mate hasn't shut up about him for the last two years haha. He lives in Cov so wants to go down the Ricoh a few times this season, which is nice. I have nobody to go with, and can't afford a season ticket anyway. Plus play golf on a Saturday morning so wouldn't get back in time. Ah, be nice to catch up with the City. Dad lost patience long ago haha.

Users who are viewing this thread