Adam Armstrong To Join (2 Viewers)

Sbarcher

I have to have a sly smile I'm afraid. All the crap about our 18 year old Academy players being too young and fear of burn-out and we are now drooling about an 18 year old coming in on loan......

hill83

I have to have a sly smile I'm afraid. All the crap about our 18 year old Academy players being too young and fear of burn-out and we are now drooling about an 18 year old coming in on loan......

I'd suggest that a premier league youth player and current youth England international will probably be a bit better than a league one youth player. Maybe, wild guess.

Nick

Administrator
I'd suggest that a premier league youth player and current youth England international will probably be a bit better than a league one youth player. Maybe, wild guess.

Somebody who has scored 9 in 9 for the under 18, 10 in 12 for the under 17 and international level and has Premier League Experience (albeit less than 20 games) or Jack Finch?

Sbarcher

I agree - if you have the skill and talent, then get on the pitch.

standupforcity

I think any football manager would be delighted for their young talent to go out on loan to get some real experience with TM....says it all I think, and why we are able to attract a player like Armstrong...

armybike

Come on chaps, it's not even been confirmed he's coming on loan and people are already getting on a downer.

Let's focus on the positive of him potentially being part of the Sky Blue Army!

Otis

You do have to be careful with youngsters and no-one is saying this lad will be playing a 46 game, full season for us are they?

I would expect Maddison to be a key player for is this year, but I am certainly not expecting a full season from him and I am thinking the same with this lad.

By all accounts he is a very exciting prospect, so let's see what he can do for us.

skyblue025

I don't get how people think we are going to sign a proven 20 goal a season striker. They cost big money and are as rare as rocking horse shit. Look at the stats, in the past 20 years how many have we had? As soon as we do get 1 (Or 2 if you count Clarke and Wilson) they are immediately sold by our wonderful owners. I would love to be proven wrong but can't see it unless we strike lucky with a youth loanee.

Gint11

Sounds good to me. As someone pointed out, we will need to try unproven young lads to help out and this sounds like a good one. The stats are there.

kg82

Wow, the amount of crap on this site sometimes. Arguing about a player that hasn't even signed yet. I've seen him play... It's not as if he's untested in the PL. Looks good. But, as someone sensible already said, it could go either way, we just don't know yet. What I do know is that I trust Mowbray with the signings. And if this lad signs then I'll welcome him to the club and hope he does well.

BackRoomRummermill

Why the big debate .... He is a good signing and one of the best players his age in the UK. Why are people moaning ?

well done Mogga great work ! I am feeling very optomistic :claping hands:

chiefdave

I'd never heard of him until this morning but he sounds like he could be a good signing. Hopefully the boo boys won't get on his back if he doesn't score a hat trick in his first game.

simonregis

The only concern I have is that Premier parent clubs usually want their players to get x amount of playing time so may be forced to play him

rupert_bear

If Armstromg joins I think that will dictate TMs next move I certain there will be one more Samuel, Samaras, McLeod ? Would all fit the bill add a right sided wide man on loan probably and could be all systems go Might sell a few more season tickets too !

tom88

With Armstrong and Marcus Tudgay we need another pacey striker and a big power house / target man so we can mix things up a bit. We don't want 4 strikers the same.

KersleyDigs

A Newcastle Utd fanzine have commented on this "number 10" role the Telegraph have wrote about.
They claim this not to be accurate and in fact the only reason he has played this role in the past is because both Pardew and Carver didn't have the guts to play him as an out and out striker, which is his natural position.
Anyone looking at his goal scoring stats will see this.
In the youtube video you can also see him running in behind off the shoulder, doesn't look like a number 10 to me. If he only played that role TM wouldn't waste any of the budget on him!

KersleyDigs

Newcastle article also argues the 'he's a number 10' comment in CT. Says he's an out and out striker, used tentatively in the 10 position in first team appearances as too risky at Prem level to rely on him as the out and out goal threat. Read it here:

http://cominghomenewcastle.sbnation.com/2015/7/28/9054725/newcastle-striker-loan-Adam-Armstrong-Coventry-City-NUFC-United

duffer

Looks promising to me - obviously quick and seems to know where the goal is. I'm not convinced he's a number 10 either looking at the brief YouTube clips, definitely seems to prefer running in behind defenders and scoring. I can't see how it will hurt us to have him.

Would still like a proven goalscorer at this level (in the Clark mould, perhaps), but then who wouldn't. I guess we'll see what we get...

Captain Dart

Number 9 or number 10, so what, if he scores goals what's the problem?

Covstar

Do some people expect us to sign proven goal scorers for half a million each time? This signing is an exciting one and my toon supporting mate has nothing but high praise and expectations for him. Yes hes only 18 but his goalscoring record is fantastic at the level hes been playing and hes even got premier league experience. Armstrong is a gifted footballer and has the potential to absolutely storm this league. Great signing by Mowbray. I'm looking forward to see him play.

Hobo

It doesn't matter who we bring in success is not a given. But I think this is a useful acquisition. Yes he is very young and it is a step up, but looks ahead of our youngsters.

He will hopefully give us some pace and movement ahead of the midfield to give us attacking options.

Two more decent loans and hopefully enough budget to bring in one experienced striker and we might start to look ready for the season.

Hobo

Clearly brought in to enable the sale of Maddison and Thomas. Thank you SISU

who is interested in Thomas? And if someone bought Maddison we would get him straight back on loan to aid his development. He isn't going anywhere yet anyway!

skybluetony176

An exciting prospect no doubt but i wonder if he'll be used as an impact player of the bench rather than be starting games because of his age?

If he gets a game tonight it will be interesting to see what impact he has above the other pre-season games.

lesturd

Who cares if he's only 18...if you're good enough you're old enough. How old was Michael Owen when he burst onto the scene?!! Would rather a young lad came in eager to prove himself, rather than an older player that's past it any day.

Users who are viewing this thread