21/22 Summer transfer mega-thread (7 Viewers)

SBAndy

We probably were but Brighton will want him to progress. It's rare that a team will send a player they've got serious hopes for to the same club for more than one loan spell.

You’re surely not telling me that Portsmouth didn’t have high hopes for Richard Duffy?

COV

Yes, and it was as stupid then as it is now. You have a cap on loanees, so why would you be loaning a player in who will either sit on the bench or cause one of your other loanees to sit on the bench? It’s idiotic.

it’s stupid for the player and stupid for the parent club, not for us if we get what we need

Brighton Sky Blue

Only Stoke as we will finish top of the league….

WE’RE ON OUR WAYYY
WE’RE ON OUR WAY
TO THE PREMIERSHIP
WE’RE ON OUR WAY
HOW WE GET THERE I DONT KNOW
HOW WE GET THERE I DONT CARE
ALL I KNOW IS CITIES ON THEIR WAY

giphy.gif

shmmeee

it is what it is, makes no sense at all for the parent club but that’s not our problem, whatever we need to do.

We need to fund the squad properly so we don’t need two loans in one position but that’s for another thread.

Hadji's_Goatee

While we’re being irritated:

Wingbacks are midfielders not defenders. We play 3412 not 5212. They’re expected to provide attacking width while the wide CBs can come across and the two DMs provide a shield.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.
So Dabbo can play midfield 😉

SBAndy

it is what it is, makes no sense at all for the parent club but that’s not our problem, whatever we need to do.

But it’s mad. Loans should be the preserve of either (a) the star quality that you have little chance of affording on a permanent basis, or (b) structuring of deals that may turn into permanents, like Sheaf/Chaplin.

If we’re using loan positions to fill gaps in the squad on the basis of cover then I would seriously question the way we’re managing the squad structure.

Hadji's_Goatee

Sounds like Osti will sign a new deal before heading out on loan.

If that's the case, no chance we can compete on % wage contribution 😭

larry_david

This, and as good as Osti was for us, Clarke-Salter could actually be a better fit.
Much better on the ball, left sided meaning we have a natural balance & can get the best from Hyam/Rose too & as he's unlikely to be in Chelsea's plans, potential future transfer too.
Yep as someone above said regarding loans. The idea could be a loan with the view to a perm deal, and this JCS could work in the longer term for us.

I'm not ruling out Drysdale either. Someone's written him off but i'm not.

Platnauer

Harvey White 20 y-o at Spurs U_23's could be our second loan target.
Left sided defensive midfielder. Was on loan at Pompey last year, mainly appeared from the bench. I think they want to get him a loan in the Championship, so maybe we are looking?

SlowerThanPlatt

Harvey White 20 y-o at Spurs U_23's could be our second loan target.
Left sided defensive midfielder. Was on loan at Pompey last year, mainly appeared from the bench. I think they want to get him a loan in the Championship, so maybe we are looking?
Yes only 5 starts for them, think it’s more likely he moves down a league than up.

Samo

Anyone else worried we’re not going to bring a CM on loan?

I think a CB and a CM will be the 2 loans. Extra cover for Maartsen will come if there are outgoings.

PVA

I think Hamer/Sheaf/Kelly with Allen/Shipley/Howley as backup until Eccles returns is passable.

Not ideal, but CB and LWB are the two priorities so if we're getting two more in I don't think one will be a CM.

Great_Expectations

It’s a shame we don’t have a young high potential LWB who can cover. I thought Reid came with a decent reputation but he doesn’t seem close.

Is that just because he’s not ready yet, or do we think MR/AV just aren’t impressed? Really hope it’s the former.

Winny the Bish

It’s a shame we don’t have a young high potential LWB who can cover. I thought Reid came with a decent reputation but he doesn’t seem close.

Is that just because he’s not ready yet, or do we think MR/AV just aren’t impressed? Really hope it’s the former.
I'd assume he needs time to acclimatize. The Championship is a HUGE step up compared to playing any Scottish team that isn't Rangers or Celtic.

Although reports last year said the U23s LWB Newton was more impressive in games and he got released 🤦‍♂️

skybluegod

I'd assume he needs time to acclimatize. The Championship is a HUGE step up compared to playing any Scottish team that isn't Rangers or Celtic.

Although reports last year said the U23s LWB Newton was more impressive in games and he got released 🤦‍♂️

Issue was Reid was being asked to play Lcb so hard for him to really shine?

fatso

With kelly nearly fit, and Eccles due back at christmas, and Jones and Bright being cover for O'hare not to mention Hawley coming through, do we really need another CM in on loan?
If we bring in another CM, we will be tempted to play 1 upfront to accommodate him, which would be a negative move imho.
If we only have the money for 2 loans I'd rather have a CB and another LWB.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread