21/22 Summer transfer mega-thread (4 Viewers)

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Speaking of left backs has Adam Reach been linked to any other championship clubs?
I'm not fully sure where this rumour that Adam Reach is a left back has come from. I work with a Sheffield office with loads of Wednesday fans who all said he has filled in there a handful of times maximum and it certainly isn't his position. I think he was rumoured to be going to Baggies and one of the Owls said to a Baggies supporting mate 'Commiserations if this is true, scored a couple of wonder goals for us three years ago and has lived off it ever since.' Certainly doesn't sound like someone we should be targeting as our left back.

shmmeee

Don’t see the urgent need for a DM. Concerned we’re going to stunt Walker and Sheafs development by bringing in older players in their position which kinda ruins the business plan of developing young players. That would be £1-2m worth of spending wasted.

If we can have 4, I’d go GK, CB x 2, LWB. I’d even be tempted to let Dacosta go and bring in a RWB before a DM as I’m still not convinced Dabo will step up. And really we need two LWBs. Also we’re relying on two AMs to get fit and be up to a level they’ve not proven themselves at, but I guess Waghorn can fill in there if Jones and Bright don’t come off. We’ve got Hamer, Sheaf, Kelly and Eccles at DM and can move to a system that doesn’t play two DMs if we have to.

We’re hanging a lot on a lot of players at the back stepping up a level: Moore/Wilson, Rose, Hyam, Dabo, Maatsen if he signs, plus Fadz carrying on. That’s a massive gamble.

fernandopartridge

Don’t see the urgent need for a DM. Concerned we’re going to stunt Walker and Sheafs development by bringing in older players in their position which kinda ruins the business plan of developing young players. That would be £1-2m worth of spending wasted.

If we can have 4, I’d go GK, CB x 2, LWB. I’d even be tempted to let Dacosta go and bring in a RWB before a DM as I’m still not convinced Dabo will step up. And really we need two LWBs. Also we’re relying on two AMs to get fit and be up to a level they’ve not proven themselves at, but I guess Waghorn can fill in there if Jones and Bright don’t come off. We’ve got Hamer, Sheaf, Kelly and Eccles at DM and can move to a system that doesn’t play two DMs if we have to.

We’re hanging a lot on a lot of players at the back stepping up a level: Moore/Wilson, Rose, Hyam, Dabo, Maatsen if he signs, plus Fadz carrying on. That’s a massive gamble.

We have no cover at DM and Sheaf suffered a few injuries last season, Eccles is out, Kelly is out.

shmmeee

We have no cover at DM and Sheaf suffered a few injuries last season, Eccles is out, Kelly is out.

Kelly is back on the grass isn’t he? Robins seemed to imply he’s not a million miles away. I’d assume any new signing will be signed to play. Maybe you’re right though. For me we have zero cover at CB other than Pask and no LWBs at all so I’d make them priority (which it seems Robins is)

Sheaf only had the injury at the end of the season didn’t he? Plus a niggle for one game.

SBAndy

I’ve thought a centre mid was required throughout. When you think about how we ended the season we were hardly overloaded with CMs and that was before James left. I do like Sheaf a lot so it’s not necessarily a requirement to get a starting CM in the mould of Matty James, but another option is required instead of Allen/Shipley.

You are right though that we need to concentrate on developing our own players as much as we can. The loans should be used to supplement the squad with additional quality, not fill in as cover. That’s why having both McCallum and Giles was pointless last season. I’m sure that Reid would be an able deputy this season if we do get Maatsen in.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

I know you've had battles with just about everyone on your transfer issues but it blows my mind that you are happy with not signing a DM when you are in such a panic about our defence. We have Sheaf and Hamer, Eccles apparently out for a few months, and Kelly who is rarely fit for a sustained period and from your own reckoning (which I am inclined to agree with) isn't necessarily Championship standard. Any issue to Sheaf or Hamer and what do we have? At least at the back there are options that are 'okay', although need improving.

Brighton Sky Blue

I know you've had battles with just about everyone on your transfer issues but it blows my mind that you are happy with not signing a DM when you are in such a panic about our defence. We have Sheaf and Hamer, Eccles apparently out for a few months, and Kelly who is rarely fit for a sustained period and from your own reckoning (which I am inclined to agree with) isn't necessarily Championship standard. Any issue to Sheaf or Hamer and what do we have? At least at the back there are options that are 'okay', although need improving.

I also don’t get the issue with signing some players over the age of 25, some workhorses are needed

Frostie

Kelly is back on the grass isn’t he? Robins seemed to imply he’s not a million miles away. I’d assume any new signing will be signed to play. Maybe you’re right though. For me we have zero cover at CB other than Pask and no LWBs at all so I’d make them priority (which it seems Robins is)

Sheaf only had the injury at the end of the season didn’t he? Plus a niggle for one game.

Not sure Kelly is as close to a return as hoped:

“The midfield area is of concern at the minute,” said Robins.

“We have strengthened at the top end. Because Liam Kelly is injured it causes us an issue.

“So I think yes, at this moment in time it’s an area and you think, yes, we’re short.

Esoterica

“We have strengthened at the top end. Because Liam Kelly is injured it causes us an issue.

“So I think yes, at this moment in time it’s an area and you think, yes, we’re short.
Kelly is a slow starter at the best of times when he's back from injury so without a pre-season in him, my hopes of him being ready any time soon are low. I've missed what he had done? Was it a planned operation?

shmmeee

I think that’s fair, I guess I just see more options in CM with Shipley and Allen who can step in, maybe even Howley breaking through if we’re lucky. I’m not convinced by Pask or Drysdale at all at this level and they’re our only cover at CB. Plus we play three CBs and two DMs. And Rose has barely played in two years.

I also think it’s easier to carry a CM than a CB who isn’t up to standard.

Maybe a short term loan to cover Eccles if he’s out for months I can see. Just don’t want to bring someone in ahead of Sheaf. I think with a run of games his value will rocket.

Tea & Busquets

I'm not fully sure where this rumour that Adam Reach is a left back has come from. I work with a Sheffield office with loads of Wednesday fans who all said he has filled in there a handful of times maximum and it certainly isn't his position. I think he was rumoured to be going to Baggies and one of the Owls said to a Baggies supporting mate 'Commiserations if this is true, scored a couple of wonder goals for us three years ago and has lived off it ever since.' Certainly doesn't sound like someone we should be targeting as our left back.
he isn’t one, he’s more of a wide midfielder, i think people look at his fifa card that says lwb and take it to heart 😂

Fergusons_Beard

Was going to post something similar.

Not a defender, surprised he hasn’t gone to Rotherham, Millwall, Luton or Boro as he fits their modus operandi-big lanky fucker!

Apart from that he’s shite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Coventry City and fu**ing injuries. 😠

djr8369

Should we make signings to tackle temporary issues? Sometimes just need tonget through a month on bare bones dont you?

CM is not a priority for me
Fair point. Could have two players in each position then find both your right wing backs injured at the same time, like last season.

Mucca Mad Boys

CM absolutely needs to be a top priority. We ask a lot of the 2 CMs in our system and you need bodies to keep Sheaf and Hamer fresh. Kelly always has a spell on the sidelines and we need an experienced player in there.

Eccles is a good talent and throwing him in at the deep end could probably damage his growth.

Our PPG without Kelly was not good last year and it’s no surprise that we finished the season with James and Kelly in that role.

kg82

CM absolutely needs to be a top priority. We ask a lot of the 2 CMs in our system and you need bodies to keep Sheaf and Hamer fresh. Kelly always has a spell on the sidelines and we need an experienced player in there.

Eccles is a good talent and throwing him in at the deep end could probably damage his growth.

Our PPG without Kelly was not good last year and it’s no surprise that we finished the season with James and Kelly in that role.
James and Hamer played the last 3 games.

SBAndy

To be honest, I’d have chopped Kelly out and got an upgrade but we are where we are.

Users who are viewing this thread