21/22 Summer transfer mega-thread (10 Viewers)

shmmeee

Don't get this at all.
Kelly was very influential last season when he was fully fit. He easily stepped up to the level of the Championship.
Like many others I see that Sheaf has potential but on the evidence of last season I don't see Sheaf starting ahead of Kelly at this time.

God I hope not. I don’t want another season of him lumping the ball away any time it gets near him. We need players who can keep possession unless we plan to remain a L1 side in the Championship.

No one ever says what Kelly does well at this level on the pitch, just some magical talismanic property “influential”. Great if he’s an influencer, get him on Instagram and put some footballers on the pitch.

SBAndy

Don't get this at all.
Kelly was very influential last season when he was fully fit. He easily stepped up to the level of the Championship.
Like many others I see that Sheaf has potential but on the evidence of last season I don't see Sheaf starting ahead of Kelly at this time.

I think you’re reaching to suggest he easily stepped up. He was ok and his leadership undoubtedly shone through, but his use of the ball as we got later into the season was embarrassing. He’s also unfortunately had a habit over the last few years of missing a decent chunk of the season. If we could have replaced him with someone like Matty James then I’d have been well up for that. But as I say, we are where we are, and he’s not that bad where he can’t be utilised; I just think we need to be aspiring to better.

KenilworthSkyBlue

All opinions KSB but there's no way you can play that position in the modern game at a high level without pace.

Well that's pretty much wrong.

Xabi Alonso
Pirlo
Xabi
Busquets
Khedira
Carrick

None of the above had pace of much note, some could even be labelled as relatively slow for top athletes, yet they were all considered as some of the best players in their position over the past 10-15 years.

The making of a good CDM is usually defined as a player who possesses excellent vision, short and long passing ability, ball control and positional awareness. Pace has little to do with it, that's merely just an additional trait that would complement the above.

Bugsy

God I hope not. I don’t want another season of him lumping the ball away any time it gets near him. We need players who can keep possession unless we plan to remain a L1 side in the Championship.

No one ever says what Kelly does well at this level on the pitch, just some magical talismanic property “influential”. Great if he’s an influencer, get him on Instagram and put some footballers on the pitch.

Well for a start Kelly breaks up play quite well, intercepts quite good can see a pass, has a cool head under pressure....PUSB

shmmeee

Well for a start Kelly breaks up play quite well, intercepts quite good can see a pass, has a cool head under pressure....PUSB

He doesn’t though. That’s why we needed two other DMs alongside him. He might be able to see a pass but he rarely pulls it off. His use of the ball was embarrassing at times last season. His best work is helping out the defence in the box after the ball has got past him.

I like him a lot for what he’s done, much like Hyam, and much like Hyam we’ve progressed beyond him now. He’s never a Championship footballer.

We survived last season by playing 8 defensive players and lumping it long. It’s not a sustainable way to play at this level. Especially now we’ve got rid of the only striker we had who could get on the end of the aforementioned long balls.

slowpoke

We
Well that's pretty much wrong.

Xabi Alonso
Pirlo
Xabi
Busquets
Khedira
Carrick

None of the above had pace of much note, some could even be labelled as relatively slow for top athletes, yet they were all considered as some of the best players in their position over the past 10-15 years.

The making of a good CDM is usually defined as a player who possesses excellent vision, short and long passing ability, ball control and positional awareness. Pace has little to do with it, that's merely just an additional trait that would complement the above.
Speed of brain just as important as pace possibly more so.

Ccfcisparks

He doesn’t though. That’s why we needed two other DMs alongside him. He might be able to see a pass but he rarely pulls it off. His use of the ball was embarrassing at times last season. His best work is helping out the defence in the box after the ball has got past him.

I like him a lot for what he’s done, much like Hyam, and much like Hyam we’ve progressed beyond him now. He’s never a Championship footballer.

We survived last season by playing 8 defensive players and lumping it long. It’s not a sustainable way to play at this level. Especially now we’ve got rid of the only striker we had who could get on the end of the aforementioned long balls.
Baka?

Bugsy

Who was the other two because from what I can remember it was mainly Kelly and James in the middle maybe I'm wrong Im not sure but we looked more assured with Kelly in the team and stats proves that he improves the team with him in it, was just replying to the quote that no mentions what Kelly does well on the pitch.. PUSB

Deity

Pace is a requirement for modern football. A team needs pace, not in every position, but it needs pace.

Our squad lacks pace. It’s why Giles had his supporters because he offered a threat, if not much end product.

Our forwards offer movement, and work rate but not pace.O’Hare is similar

ideally we would have one quicker centre half, a fast left back, and a lightning quick attacker who can come on when defences tire.

I haven’t seen enough of Tavares to know whether he can fit that attacking gap.

Ccfcisparks

Pace is a requirement for modern football. A team needs pace, not in every position, but it needs pace.

Our squad lacks pace. It’s why Giles had his supporters because he offered a threat, if not much end product.

Our forwards offer movement, and work rate but not pace.O’Hare is similar

ideally we would have one quicker centre half, a fast left back, and a lightning quick attacker who can come on when defences tire.

I haven’t seen enough of Tavares to know whether he can fit that attacking gap.
I'd suggest Bright fits the requirement up front. He was very fast, especially with the ball.

fatso

Hopefully Gyokres or Waghorn will be more mobile than Max was and should be able to hold the ball up, and keep possession, also Bright or Jones would be a great asset on the bench when defences tire, we lacked that plan B last year.

shmmeee

Hopefully Gyokres or Waghorn will be more mobile than Max was and should be able to hold the ball up, and keep possession, also Bright or Jones would be a great asset on the bench when defences tire, we lacked that plan B last year.

We did. We really missed the ability to bring someone on who could change the game.

DannyThomas_1981

Fabinho, Henderson, Rodri, Rice, Soucek, Busquets, Casemeiro. Do I need to go on?
This is very tedious - you seriously believe that Drysdale has more pace than any of the above?
Henderson for example might have lost a few yards recently but he's been recorded at 33k previously; which is serious pace.
Let's see Drysdale at CDM and you will see what I mean - but I hope he has a great career (but see this more likely at CB).

SlowerThanPlatt

This is very tedious - you seriously believe that Drysdale has more pace than any of the above?
Henderson for example might have lost a few yards recently but he's been recorded at 33k previously; which is serious pace.
Let's see Drysdale at CDM and you will see what I mean - but I hope he has a great career (but see this more likely at CB).

No Danny you said a player can’t play at defensive midfield at a high level without pace. The players listed aren’t quick

Ccfcisparks

Have you ever seen Busquets play? He's been slow since he turned 18.

shmmeee

Who was the other two because from what I can remember it was mainly Kelly and James in the middle maybe I'm wrong Im not sure but we looked more assured with Kelly in the team and stats proves that he improves the team with him in it, was just replying to the quote that no mentions what Kelly does well on the pitch.. PUSB

Fair enough. I just don’t rate him. His passing stats are piss poor and Sheaf is ahead on virtually every measure. Yet Sheaf gets pelters and Kelly is treated like the second coming of Viera.

For a good chunk last season we played 5311 with three DMs of James, Kelly and Hamer. I actually think we’ve got championship quality in just three areas of the pitch this season: ST, AM, and DM. Playing Kelly for his leadership skills to me means changing to a worse shape or dropping a better player.

It’s one reason why I wanted the budget spent on a decent CB who can provide leadership as well.

Ccfcisparks

Fair enough. I just don’t rate him. His passing stats are piss poor and Sheaf is ahead on virtually every measure. Yet Sheaf gets pelters and Kelly is treated like the second coming of Viera.

For a good chunk last season we played 5311 with three DMs of James, Kelly and Hamer. I actually think we’ve got championship quality in just three areas of the pitch this season: ST, AM, and DM. Playing Kelly for his leadership skills to me means changing to a worse shape or dropping a better player.

It’s one reason why I wanted the budget spent on a decent CB who can provide leadership as well.
Sheaf might be ahead on every measure, except win % when starting. That proves to me Kelly is better suited in the starting lineup atm.

COV

You keep saying “he’s never a championship footballer” about all these people, yet they quite clearly are, unless the league table was lying?

KenilworthSkyBlue

"Siri, show me what moving the goalposts looks like"

NorthernWisdom

FWIW, what Kelly seems to be able to do is better offer that bridge between the defensive midfield, and attacking midfield. Some of the others (both attacking, and defensive minded) seem less able to do that, so we get spread out a little too much, end up passing the ball around in our half, without a real plan of how to progress.

Hopefully Sheaf can be a little more aggressive in that respect, this season. It's bravery to push us forwards, sometimes.

DannyThomas_1981

Have you ever seen Busquets play? He's been slow since he turned 18.
Please don't tell me Sparksy that you are seriously comparing Busquets to Drysdale as a CDM to try to win an argument?
For what it's worth I have seen him play and he's surprisingly fast; top 5-6 by pace in the Barca squad a few years back - although honestly not sure about now.
Anyway pre season on SBT has officially gone crazy.

SlowerThanPlatt

Please don't tell me Sparksy that you are seriously comparing Busquets to Drysdale as a CDM to try to win an argument?
For what it's worth I have seen him play and he's surprisingly fast; top 5-6 by pace in the Barca squad a few years back - although honestly not sure about now.

Could you cite your source on that?

Ccfcisparks

I'm not comparing him I'm comparing the speed, like the initial point was about.

DannyThomas_1981

No Danny you said a player can’t play at defensive midfield at a high level without pace. The players listed aren’t quick
Fundamental flaw isn't there in your statement - Henderson does have pace. And I would suggest that the other players listed have more pace than you might imagine vs. Drysdale who seems to me to have most things apart from pace.

Users who are viewing this thread