21/22 Summer transfer mega-thread (5 Viewers)

Liquid Gold

You can trust in the team to get the right players in for us while also seeing that the clock is ticking along a bit now.

We've praised the recruitment team for getting players in early ever since MR arrived, you can't now say that them not getting anybody in is all good too. Cake and eat.

KenilworthSkyBlue

We'll undoubtably get players through the door, but I do think it's going to be more difficult this season to bring in our primary transfer targets - something Robins has previously said is tricky even in normal circumstances. Meaning Robins and the backroom staff may have to revert to Plan B, C or even D.

With signings from the lower European divisions far more difficult to secure, a talent pool has essentially been cut off, so more focus is now going to be centred on bringing in players from home turf.

That in turn is likely to make our recruitment prospects more challenging this season, as we're essentially fishing in the same pool as a number of Championship clubs, (many of which probably wouldn't have spent time delving deep into the EFL and NL to unearth gems previously) which puts us at a serious disadvantage for the obvious reasons.

Still early days yet but the longer it goes on without us bringing anyone in I suspect what I predicted a little under a month ago is probably going to be a recurring theme for this window.

Frustrating if we are missing out on players, but there's little we can do about it apart from trusting the process and keeping faith in Robins and the backroom staff.

slowpoke

When it comes to finance and budgets we know we are restricted nothing new there but this time round there are a lot of championship teams in the same boat possibly worse if they are saddled with high waged players they don’t really want. This is going to be a different and interesting close season I’m glad we have a manager who knows what he is doing.

Grendel

Grendel said James was shit anyway 😬

I didn’t I said he was an expensive player and we’ve had many big signings before with dubious injury records that end up biting us

• Haha
Reactions: SBT

Terry_dactyl

Anyone else get the feeling we’re getting gazumped a lot this summer?

I think signing wise this will be the toughest close season Robins has had.
Maybe…
Although it also sounds like we’ve identified targets, and acted early to sign them. Just not announced who we’re after.
The fact that we were safe with games to spare will have allowed us to start our transfer preparations earlier than some.
Itfrustrating at the moment but I’m looking forward to a bonanza of announcements on July 1st…Gilmour, Balotelli, Sturridge etc etc.

SBT

It’s not just that. We’re not fishing at the edge of the pond offering kids a chance to play Championship football any more, we’re an established side looking at players other established sides are after but with a fraction of the budget. Also our recruitment will have almost certainly encouraged a few to just follow us and outbid on players we’re looking at as we’ve shown we can identify talent. Plus Brexit cutting off a huge pool of talent.

Depends on your expectations for next season tbh. Obviously we'd like to be building a solidly mid-table squad, but I don't see how our budget/business model will allow for that through transfers alone. We've never competed with other established sides and we're not going to suddenly start - last summer we couldn't afford to bring in players like Walsh and James, and this summer we still can't. We have just as many holes to fill as we did this time last year, and our budget is probably similar, so I don't see the task as any harder than last year's.

The reassuring thing is that we managed to stay up comfortably regardless last season, and our current starting squad is marginally stronger. The goal has to be the same as last year - make smart, cost-effective signings, sprinkle in some loans, and continue to develop our existing young players, in the hope that Robins can find a system which will keep us up and move us forward. Sign a few more O'Hares and a few less Hilssners and I don't see why we can't repeat the trick. But make no mistake, we could easily go backwards if we don't strengthen in the right areas (CB, LWB) this pre-season.

better days

It’s not just that. We’re not fishing at the edge of the pond offering kids a chance to play Championship football any more, we’re an established side looking at players other established sides are after but with a fraction of the budget. Also our recruitment will have almost certainly encouraged a few to just follow us and outbid on players we’re looking at as we’ve shown we can identify talent. Plus Brexit cutting off a huge pool of talent.
Not sure about cutting off a huge pool of talent
Most cheap signings from the EU have actually been a complete waste of money
Guys like Hamer are the exception

slowpoke

What about Da Costa, is he not going to be around for long? Towards the end of the season he was learning, with some coaching could become a decent squad player.
He is going to be interesting.
Not my idea of a full back defensively dodgy to say the least but going forward with the ball at his feet he looked the business at times with his pace and lanky legs I’m really 50/50 on how I think he’ll be this season,

better days

What about Da Costa, is he not going to be around for long? Towards the end of the season he was learning, with some coaching could become a decent squad player.
Not sure about him
Think opponents will look at him as a weak point to attack
Hope he can learn the game but looks to lack a football brain and is often hopelessly out of position
Will know more when we can attend games and look at him off the ball as tv coverage doesn't give the full picture

shmmeee

Whether we caught anything in it is another question. But that’s a large chunk of players we can’t sign whatever way you look at it. And neither can many other clubs making the waters we’re now fishing in much busier.

I know you’ve got ideological reasons for not wanting to accept it, but it’s a fact. It may or may not help the English game in the long run or whatever, but for a club with our recruitment model it won’t have helped in the short term, which is where we are.

KenilworthSkyBlue

I know we haven't had much prior success but in the wider context of recruitment it definitely isn't good for us though. With the European market all but closed off far more focus has been drawn to players on home turf. Championship clubs that used to previously recruit overseas in the lower divisions are now diverting their attention more closely to L1/L2/SPL due to the new regs.

It's only my opinion but I suspect if we are struggling to recruit, that's one of the core reasons why, as we're pitted against clubs who are all fishing in the same pool with far more spending power than we do. Not an ideal situation to be in.

larry_david

EFL Zone are effective in what they do. CET literally just posted we're still talking to James and they've reeled it out ASAP as their own source. Classic

KenilworthSkyBlue

EFL Zone are effective in what they do. CET literally just posted we're still talking to James and they've reeled it out ASAP as their own source. Classic

It's all they do. I honestly fail to understand why people genuinely believe they have any inside knowledge at any club in the EFL.

They're just a Twitter newsbot who attempts at passing off online rumours - whether they be from the press or from football club forums - as their own.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

EFL Zone to the Telegraph…

giphy.gif

better days

Whether we caught anything in it is another question. But that’s a large chunk of players we can’t sign whatever way you look at it. And neither can many other clubs making the waters we’re now fishing in much busier.

I know you’ve got ideological reasons for not wanting to accept it, but it’s a fact. It may or may not help the English game in the long run or whatever, but for a club with our recruitment model it won’t have helped in the short term, which is where we are.
Tbh my main contention has been that managers have preferred to bring in older 'ready made' players with an EU passport rather than giving young British and Irish players a chance
We all love to see the best players from Europe and beyond but the majority have been average at best

edgy

This isn't even the original EFL Zone. Look at the Twitter handle, it's a copy account started 6 months ago. Money on it being a Cov fan too.

Sky Blue Harry H

Eccles and Bapaga will be like 2 new signings next season. Hopefully the Burroughs lad will step up too.

chiefdave

Its easy thought isn't it. You just throw out loads of names of players who are out of contract, say loads of different clubs are interested and then when they sign somewhere pick out that tweet and say 'I was right'.

larry_david

Yeah the original one stopped in Feb I think and then there's been about 4 imitations since. I honestly don't know what they get out it if, unless after a certain amount of followers you get advertising cash or something. The amount of work they must do dredging through forums and local rags just to make up bollocks rumours, get yourself a gf. Same could be applied to me on here though.

larry_david

Talking of bollocks rumours. My Carlisle supporting mate says Mason and Kasta have been mentioned on their forum as possible signings. Mason would be stand out at league 2

PUSB-We_are_going_up

He is going to be interesting.
Not my idea of a full back defensively dodgy to say the least but going forward with the ball at his feet he looked the business at times with his pace and lanky legs I’m really 50/50 on how I think he’ll be this season,
I think he might be better as a Winger rather than Defender

Users who are viewing this thread