21/22 Summer transfer mega-thread (19 Viewers)

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I suppose there's different grades. You'd think surely we wouldn't touch him if he suffered a grade 3.
No, it’s an odd one. I assume he’ll miss the start of the season - but if it’s say a month. We could probably get by with Reid whilst he gets up to speed and given the glowing report on him it may be worth the risk.

anymore than that, it may be one that just isn’t for us as a club at this time

SlowerThanPlatt

Another cracker from Football League World. Alex Gilliead a 25yo winger recently released by Scunthorpe, scored 1 goal last season, though to his credit did win a few awards.

skybluegod

Another cracker from Football League World. Alex Gilliead a 25yo winger recently released by Scunthorpe, scored 1 goal last season, though to his credit did win a few awards.

Weren't we linked to him a few years back? I think when Mowbray was manager maybe?

KenilworthSkyBlue

No, it’s an odd one. I assume he’ll miss the start of the season - but if it’s say a month. We could probably get by with Reid whilst he gets up to speed and given the glowing report on him it may be worth the risk.

anymore than that, it may be one that just isn’t for us as a club at this time

Yeah it's a bit of a strange one. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we've enquired and perhaps put a feeler out there but I can't see this one happening. Reports expect him to be fit by September. So, I expect he just suffered a bad Grade 2 rather than a complete tear.

Also, according to Cardiff fans it seems he wanted a longer contract than what the club were initially offering and on the same money which is likely to be far above what we'd ever be able to cater for.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Yeah it's a bit of a strange one. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we've enquired and perhaps put a feeler out there but I can't see this one happening. Reports expect him to be fit by September. So, I expect he just suffered a bad Grade 2 rather than a complete tear.

Also, according to Cardiff fans it seems he wanted a longer contract than what the club were initially offering and on the same money which is likely to be far above what we'd ever be able to cater for.
By all accounts we matched them for collins so wage structure might not be as far off.

we may be willing to offer the length he wants aswell, at 30 if the years are offered he may be willing to come down on wage considering his injury

slowpoke

At thirty plus a two year contract with an option gives the player a bit of security and after 18 months or so can look for a deal elsewhere if they want or we can implement the option good position for the player really.
Could do the same with Matty James too.

SlowerThanPlatt

I'd be disappointed to sign Gilliead - when we trialled him he was an up[ and coming hotshot, now he's got an average record and league 1 and mainly 2. He's not for us at all if we want to continue pushing forward and he will block the route of Bapaga and Tavares who are our own and arguable more exciting players.

Think it’s his agent putting his name out there, at 25 he would need to make an impact in the first team and wouldn’t think he’s capable of that.

slowpoke

I'd be disappointed to sign Gilliead - when we trialled him he was an up[ and coming hotshot, now he's got an average record and league 1 and mainly 2. He's not for us at all if we want to continue pushing forward and he will block the route of Bapaga and Tavares who are our own and arguable more exciting players.
Let’s be honest it’s just paper talk but we know little about him do we, Robins has to build a squad of 25/26 take the three keepers out leaves 22/23 outfield some younger ones like Bapaga might go out on loan so someone like Gilliead would be a cheap option to boost the squad but admittedly unlikely to be the next Tommy Hutchison.

Terry_dactyl

I’ve seen Joe Bennet play quite a bit. Assuming his injury clears up I think he’d be a quality signing. I think he had a bit of stick this year from Cardiff fans, not sure why. Always looks fairly assured and he doesn’t mess about when comes to tackling.

Edit: I’ll ask my Cardiff scout - father in-law.

KenilworthSkyBlue

By all accounts we matched them for collins so wage structure might not be as far off.

we may be willing to offer the length he wants aswell, at 30 if the years are offered he may be willing to come down on wage considering his injury

Maybe. Although Cardiff fans did indicate he was one of the bigger earners in the squad. Don't forget he achieved promotion with them to the Premier League and therefore would have likely received a significant increase on his contact at the time.

Granted he probably wouldn't be able to command the same wage as he was on at Cardiff - certainly not in this climate, but I just can't see him coming down to a level where he'd be willing to cut his wage to the extent where it would be feasible for us to sign him.

Collins would've been on far less than Bennett. So, I think matching Cardiff's offer wasn't exactly beyond the realms of possibility given the wage he would've been on at Luton.

Terry_dactyl

I’ve seen Joe Bennet play quite a bit. Assuming his injury clears up I think he’d be a quality signing. I think he had a bit of stick this year from Cardiff fans, not sure why. Always looks fairly assured and he doesn’t mess about when comes to tackling.

Edit: I’ll ask my Cardiff scout - father in-law.
That scouting mission was quick!

Apparently they offered Bennet a new contract on reduced wages - one of their high earners - and he turned it down.
I would think that pretty much rules us out.
Injury + High wages + age = do one!

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Maybe. Although Cardiff fans did indicate he was one of the bigger earners in the squad. Don't forget he achieved promotion with them to the Premier League and therefore would have likely received a significant increase on his contact at the time.

Granted he probably wouldn't be able to command the same wage as he was on at Cardiff - certainly not in this climate, but I just can't see him coming down to a level where he'd be willing to cut his wage to the extent where it would be feasible for us to sign him.

Collins would've been on far less than Bennett. So, I think matching Cardiff's offer wasn't exactly beyond the realms of possibility given the wage he would've been on at Luton.
Good point, one thing I will say is that his age and injury will count against him with his wage demands. Probably why were enquiring about him.

if he’s only out until September he maybe worth the risk given its a key position we need to fill

Sky Blue Harry H

Yeah, given that he’s turned down a reduced contract offer, sounds like he thinks he can still get good wages elsewhere.
Tbh I’d just try and get McCallum back!

We'd be daft not to try and get Sam back. He'll only improve, and it gives time for Reid to develop in the meantime.

slowpoke

That scouting mission was quick!

Apparently they offered Bennet a new contract on reduced wages - one of their high earners - and he turned it down.
I would think that pretty much rules us out.
Injury + High wages + age = do one!
I think players will have to realise reduced wages when these lot of contracts expire will be the norm. Bennett will have been on a premier league contract.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Good point, one thing I will say is that his age and injury will count against him with his wage demands. Probably why were enquiring about him.

if he’s only out until September he maybe worth the risk given its a key position we need to fill

It almost certainly will, especially with clubs being far more cautious about what they're spending and on who. Players like Bennett are going to be faced with a pretty significant reality check this summer whereby they'll quickly realise they'll no longer be able to command the same inflated wages from Championship clubs.

But it's still entirely dependent on how much he's willing to reduce his wages to and who's interested in him. I take wage reports with a giant pinch of salt but apparently Bennett is on around £20k per week. So, if that's the case, even if we reduced his wage demands by half we just wouldn't be able to sign him

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

It almost certainly will, especially with clubs being far more cautious about what they're spending and on who. Players like Bennett are going to be faced with a pretty significant reality check this summer whereby they'll quickly realise they'll no longer be able to command the same inflated wages from Championship clubs.

But it's still entirely dependent on how much he's willing to reduce his wages to and who's interested in him. I take wage reports with a giant pinch of salt but apparently Bennett is on around £20k per week. So, if that's the case, even if we reduced his wage demands by half we just wouldn't be able to sign him

I think the club could go up to 15k a week for the right players. Obviously not all around, that on a 3 year deal or even 13k is better than 20k on 1 or 2 years

Sky Blue Harry H

Agree - I think that's why we will end up looking at up and coming players, where they receive an increase in salary, rather than 'old heads' who are shopping around for the 'least drop' in wages. I'd much sooner have a young hungry one than picking amongst the bones of a group of players who will be fought over more keenly, due to being out of contract, as clubs look to eke out their budgets. PL loans and foreign signings (those that are allowed) - but for every Hamer, there are two Kastaneers!!

KenilworthSkyBlue

I think the club could go up to 15k a week for the right players. Obviously not all around, that on a 3 year deal or even 13k is better than 20k on 1 or 2 years

Would they for a 31 year old who's just coming out of an ACL injury? That goes against Robins' and the club's whole transfer ethos.

Granted according to reports we put O'Hare on £10k pw but he's obviously an investment that the club hope to make a significant return on all being well. With Bennett the club wouldn't be able to achieve any ROI on him.

Putting Bennett on between £10-15k pw just wouldn't be feasible and I just can't see Robins be willing to do it even if it was.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Would they for a 31 year old who's just coming out of an ACL injury? That goes against Robins' and the club's whole transfer ethos.

Granted according to reports we put O'Hare on £10k pw but he's obviously an investment that the club hope to make a significant return on all being well. With Bennett the club wouldn't be able to achieve any ROI on him.

Putting Bennett on between £10-15k pw just wouldn't be feasible and I just can't see Robins be willing to do it even if it was.
I’ve noticed that we tend to get experienced players if they’re a significant upgrade. Injury aside Bennett would be one of them. 10-15k would be the going rate unfortunately.

that being said, as you’ve rightly pointed out, would it be worth it given his recent injury? That’s up to Robins - we’ve shown in recent years the ACL injuries don’t bother us - I also feel that the big money signing is earmarked for James

Mucca Mad Boys

Hopefully Hiddink can put a word in to to one of his former employers

Back in the day, we all did the Football Manager cheat of adding a new manager to Man City/Chelsea then buying a rubbish player to bolster your own coffers.

We just need Hiddink to do this in real life now...

Danny Ireland, the 50 million pound goalkeeper who never played...

Users who are viewing this thread