21/22 Summer transfer mega-thread (10 Viewers)

junglej13

The wages is a difficult balancing act. The majority of our squad came up from League 1 and their wages would be League 1 wages. The players signed last summer will be on better wages and you'd imagine O'Hare, Hamer and Walker would be the top earners. To take the club forward as our revenue increases and following survival in the Championship we inevitably will have to start paying some salaries more in line with other Championship teams. This probably will frustrate some players who have come up from League 1. Dawkins tweet is written as if this is complete mismanagement. Its an inevitable transition from being a League 1 club to a Championship club.

COV

The wages is a difficult balancing act. The majority of our squad came up from League 1 and their wages would be League 1 wages. The players signed last summer will be on better wages and you'd imagine O'Hare, Hamer and Walker would be the top earners. To take the club forward as our revenue increases and following survival in the Championship we inevitably will have to start paying some salaries more in line with other Championship teams. This probably will frustrate some players who have come up from League 1. Dawkins tweet is written as if this is complete mismanagement. Its an inevitable transition from being a League 1 club to a Championship club.

hard to argue with that, and offering league one wages would be a pretty effective route straight back to league one

Sky Blue Pete

Rumours at Derby’s end was they couldn’t keep Waghorn because they can’t offer more than £11.5k/wk

Said it before, he’s a decent player but two strikers weren’t close to our priority and if the budget all went there it’s criminal.
Why give it any credence

shmmeee

Godden can’t stay fit for more than a few games

He played six less than Waghorn last season.

You’re missing the point in your desperation to defend the club at all costs. Even if we needed two strikers, we’ve clearly overspent on them because we can’t afford to sign quality or depth anywhere else in the side.

larry_david

Great nights reading here. Boddy said over a month ago we're waiting for players to return from summer and euros before we can get our targets. Maatson would have been in weeks ago but confirmed Ill. This other Chelsea lad has been filling in the numbers for them whilst their main players are on holiday. It doesn't smell of desperation at all it smells of tactically signing young hungry players on loan who can keep us up another year, whilst devsloping our reputation as a feeder club for young talent and also developing our own youth to step up and make their claim.

If anyone saw Eccles last few games last season or the game against sevilla, it wouldn't surprise me if he's a key first teamer by the end of season. The composure and talent is clear to see, it was do impressive it was frightening. Who's to say he's not the reason we're not signing a cm. Kelly Eccles sheaf hamer plus howley as back up. Ngandu also rumoured to have finally stepped up after a dodgy few seasons. Have faith in the system. MR hasn't led us wrong yet

shmmeee

Why give it any credence

We can do this every time these rumours pop up and the actual deals were making seem to back it up. Or we can live in constant lala land where any minute now we’re going to sign someone. The people arguing here have so far gone from “they haven’t come back from training yet” to “the media staff aren’t here yet” to “we aren’t back from Spain yet” to “the season doesn’t start for weeks” to “the transfer window closes in a month”.

After a while mate you’ve got to stop hoping that quacking waddling thing coming over the hill might turn out to be a swan.

SlowerThanPlatt

Yes I think they would have expected Hilssner and Jobello to be out of the door by now, remains to be seen whether completely freezing them out to force them to move was a good idea

larry_david

You’re missing the point in your desperation to defend the club at all costs. Even if we needed two strikers, we’ve clearly overspent on them because we can’t afford to sign quality or depth anywhere else in the side.
Even if we needed two strikers? Even if?

shmmeee

Even if we needed two strikers? Even if?

giphy.gif

COV

But I’m not defending anyone, why jump to extremes again?

I don’t think it’s as simple as it might seem that’s all. It’s blatantly obvious we thought we’d have moved a few out but we haven’t, that’s going to have a knock-on effect.

as for saying we didn’t need strikers as priority, we’ll we have to agree to disagree, unless we’re saying we wanted to head into another season with Bakayoko and Biamou as our only backup.

Jesse Carver

Waghorn was thought to be on circa £10k at Derby, if we're paying him similar or even slightly more, I can't see the problem with that.
How many proven Championship strikers can you get for less?

Spoke to a Derby fan the other week, he reckoned Waghorn was on £8k a week there. Presume because of the embargo they couldn’t give him a new deal - I think they had/have a similar situation with Curtis Davies at the moment.

Waghorn wanted to stay local as his family are settled in the area and his lad is in Derby’s academy - not many of the clubs within the commutable radius would have been a good fit or interested in him so presume we’ve got him for a comparatively reasonable wage.

larry_david

4 strikers needed in a squad. We had 2
Gyo we know and will improve and make us profit.
Waghorn showed on Sunday what he brings. Winning a cheap as shit pen and converting. Experienced gritty nous we didn't have.
Personally don't care we've not offered crainie a deal. This Chelsea guy on loan who, if excels we sneak in for free at the age of 23,24. Works for me that

shmmeee

But I’m not defending anyone, why jump to extremes again?

I don’t think it’s as simple as it might seem that’s all. It’s blatantly obvious we thought we’d have moved a few out but we haven’t, that’s going to have a knock-on effect.

as for saying we didn’t need strikers as priority, we’ll we have to agree to disagree, unless we’re saying we wanted to head into another season with Bakayoko and Biamou as our only backup.

You, @mr_monkey and @Ccfcisparks pop up every time anyone says anything short of “isn’t our transfer window going swimmingly”. It’s tiring.

Im no fan of Biamou, but I’d rather him on the bench than Drysdale, Reid or a 17 year old kid. I’ve explained myself over and over and the constant either reading comprehension failure or intentional twisting of my words is getting boring.

Ccfcisparks

You, @mr_monkey and @Ccfcisparks pop up every time anyone says anything short of “isn’t our transfer window going swimmingly”. It’s tiring.

Im no fan of Biamou, but I’d rather him on the bench than Drysdale, Reid or a 17 year old kid. I’ve explained myself over and over and the constant either reading comprehension failure or intentional twisting of my words is getting boring.
No we don’t, we just respond to you because you talk bollocks all the time

mr_monkey

No what is tiring is the same negative crap on every thread about everything and people looking for excuses to moan

like tonight for example where people actually took something than a proven bullshiter wrote on twitter as gospel just to have a moan

We obviously needed to get experienced heads in which is different to the past few seasons as it's obvious that's what we needed, we have also bought in young players with good potential resale value so in my eyes it's been a good window so far (with more to come) and certainly a hell of a lot better than the teams that will be around us next season in the league

Also I didn't know that Max could play in defence or midfield but good to know that you would have preferred him to be our backup lwb, CB or cm

COV

it’s not going swimmingly but it’s not a disaster either, not sure why you get so wound up when people have a different opinion. I’d like to have signed a couple more but it just hasn’t been possible, probably due to not moving people on. But it hasn’t been that bad of a window, I’m much more confident this season especially with a solid year’s championship experience, which i think is important.

as for this stuff about players being annoyed about how much Waghorn earns & what’s left, don’t really know how to respond, as I’ve no idea if there’s truth to it or it’s nonsense.

mr_monkey

it’s not going swimmingly but it’s not a disaster either, not sure why you get so wound up when people have a different opinion. I’d like to have signed a couple more but it just hasn’t been possible, probably due to not moving people on. But it hasn’t been that bad of a window, I’m much more confident this season especially with a solid year’s championship experience, which i thunk is important.

as for this stuff about players being annoyed about how much Waghorn earns & what’s left, don’t really know how to respond, as I’ve no idea if there’s truth to it or it’s nonsense.

It's obviously nonsense

Brighton Sky Blue

not if Robins was expecting to move Jobello, Hillsner or Mason out. They haven’t gone so can’t afford him- just juggling the money

It was probably dependant on moving Mason etc out the door.

For all 3 combined perhaps, Kasta too. But if we're at the point where we're relying on that to give a 34 year old free agent from Luton a deal then I'm struggling to make it all add up.

COV

For all 3 combined perhaps, Kasta too. But if we're at the point where we're relying on that to give a 34 year old free agent from Luton a deal then I'm struggling to make it all add up.

maybe Robins just didn’t like the look of him or didn’t want to offer 2 years- are we certain that this was a financial decision or is that part of the Dawkins rumour?

mr_monkey

maybe Robins just didn’t like the look of him or didn’t want to offer 2 years- are we certain that this was a financial decision or is that part of the Dawkins rumour?

If it's true that he wanted a two year deal only then we have 100% done the right thing but it always looked like he was in as cover for rose and hyam as they were recovering from covid and as a backup plan in case our other planned CB deals fell through, the fact that he hasn't signed is actually a positive thing as it hopefully means we've finally got who we were after

Brighton Sky Blue

I don't give the Dawkins rumour any credence but he's implying we offered so much to Waghorn we can't give contracts even to the likes of Cranie. I'm more thinking Cranie wanted 2 years because he's in the twilight of his career and we wanted to give him 1 because he's not a long term option. Maybe we tried compromising with an extension clause and he held out so we parted company.

fernandopartridge

Didn't this guy say with some certainty Patterson was signed.

Also is he really moaning that sisu are actually forking out wages for a striker? They can't win can they. Don't pay enough, tight bastards fuck off. Do pay enough, how dare they not save any budget for a 35 Yr old past it short term player who chances are would be 4th choice if everyone was fit
He was saying that Patterson was really impressed with the offer. I think the offer to Patterson has gone on Waghorn hence the bitterness

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

COV

I don't give the Dawkins rumour any credence but he's implying we offered so much to Waghorn we can't give contracts even to the likes of Cranie. I'm more thinking Cranie wanted 2 years because he's in the twilight of his career and we wanted to give him 1 because he's not a long term option. Maybe we tried compromising with an extension clause and he held out so we parted company.

could well be. Wonder if he regrets not staying at Luton now…

Brighton Sky Blue

could well be. Wonder if he regrets not staying at Luton now…

Don't know the circumstances under which he left, but they'd be right to upgrade on him if they could. It is what it is, I'm not enamoured with our business this summer but there's only a handful of clubs who I think have recruited well so far.

Users who are viewing this thread