21/22 Summer transfer mega-thread (13 Viewers)

shmmeee

Making someone of his age the highest paid player at the club by some distance would go completely against how Robins has generally conducted his business. I don't deny he'll be on a fair whack but even so

I maintain something funny has gone on behind the scenes this summer. Whether that’s Robins losing his mind or Sisu not keeping promises, but it’s more than just “a funny summer for everyone”.

Liquid Gold

Maybe MR loves Waghorn and he’s going to score a load of goals.

If he doesn’t then there is going to be a lot of shit talking the decision though.

Can’t blame just signing him though. We spent £1m on Gyokeres.

skybluegod

Rumours at Derby’s end was they couldn’t keep Waghorn because they can’t offer more than £11.5k/wk

Said it before, he’s a decent player but two strikers weren’t close to our priority and if the budget all went there it’s criminal.

Thing is you can go off rumours... Or you could look at it from the point of view of it being a basket case of a club who had failed to pay wages on time during the preceding months?

I would also suspect they were probably waiting officially offering new terms until the outcome of the whole Wycombe facade so he probably wanted more security for himself?

I don't doubt he is on a good wage, but I doubt the entire budget was blown on him to the extent we can't make further signings?

Robins has said all summer he wanted 8 or 9.

We have 6 with 2/3 still potentially to come from what he has said, doesn't sound like the whole budget has been spunked to me.

Brighton Sky Blue

I maintain something funny has gone on behind the scenes this summer. Whether that’s Robins losing his mind or Sisu not keeping promises, but it’s more than just “a funny summer for everyone”.

My assumption a while ago was we had missed out on first and second choice targets, perhaps even third choice, so we've clearly gone scraping the barrel to fill out the squad and as it stands we still don't have any CB replacement despite the defence already being weak.

Saying that recruitment in our league has in general been quite underwhelming, aside from decent windows for QPR, Brizzle and Luton.

Liquid Gold

Definitely something going on with the football side. I can’t see why sisu would sign a ricoh deal, spend money doing the badges and dressing rooms then taking out of the playing budget though. But then there is no reason for the management to go against the model.

Just can’t put my finger on what it is.

Frostie

Thing is you can go off rumours... Or you could look at it from the point of view of it being a basket case of a club who had failed to pay wages on time during the preceding months?

I would also suspect they were probably waiting officially offering new terms until the outcome of the whole Wycombe facade so he probably wanted more security for himself?

I don't doubt he is on a good wage, but I doubt the entire budget was blown on him to the extent we can't make further signings?

We have 6 with 2/3 still potentially to come from what he has said, doesn't sound like the whole budget has been spunked to me.

Waghorn was thought to be on circa £10k at Derby, if we're paying him similar or even slightly more, I can't see the problem with that.
How many proven Championship strikers can you get for less?

Brighton Sky Blue

Maybe MR loves Waghorn and he’s going to score a load of goals.

If he doesn’t then there is going to be a lot of shit talking the decision though.

Can’t blame just signing him though. We spent £1m on Gyokeres.

That on its own says Ostigard was never a goer

skybluegod

Waghorn was thought to be on circa £10k at Derby, if we're paying him similar or even slightly more, I can't see the problem with that.

I agree, he's going to be on a decent wage. But it won't be leading to the issues Dawkins is suggesting imo.

cc84cov

Definitely something going on with the football side. I can’t see why sisu would sign a ricoh deal, spend money doing the badges and dressing rooms then taking out of the playing budget though. But then there is no reason for the management to go against the model.

Just can’t put my finger on what it is.
Robins prob pissed off with budget or lack of

larry_david

Didn't this guy say with some certainty Patterson was signed.

Also is he really moaning that sisu are actually forking out wages for a striker? They can't win can they. Don't pay enough, tight bastards fuck off. Do pay enough, how dare they not save any budget for a 35 Yr old past it short term player who chances are would be 4th choice if everyone was fit

Frostie

My assumption a while ago was we had missed out on first and second choice targets, perhaps even third choice, so we've clearly gone scraping the barrel to fill out the squad and as it stands we still don't have any CB replacement despite the defence already being weak.

Saying that recruitment in our league has in general been quite underwhelming, aside from decent windows for QPR, Brizzle and Luton.

Clubs are looking to hang on to players for longer rather than letting them go at the beginning of pre-season. As MR himself has said, the Maatsen deal was agreed in principle ages ago for example but Chelsea delayed on it & undoubtedly it is the same with Clarke-Salter too. They were making up the numbers in their friendlies whilst the big hitters were unavailable.

We've done the same with our outgoings as well, we needed to make sure Moore was signed & sealed before allowing Marosi & Billson to leave for example. Read the Shrewsbury & Scunthorpe press releases, both state that they were agreed ages before but we wouldn't release them immediately.

Movement in the top 2 leagues has been relatively slow but will undoubtedly gather pace from now until end of window.

Grendel

Tit. Nothing to do with crainie not being good enough

He played 21 games for Luton last season and they wanted to resign him. I doubt they’d be trying to sign Hyam or Mcfazdean

Liquid Gold

I bet the guy couldn’t believe his luck after having a terrible season with Derby passing 30 years old then getting offered more money.

Smells like BS.

junglej13

Rose and Hyam getting covid will have been a factor in bringing Cranie in I suspect as he will have been an extra body even in training. Loads of quality loans will only start to happen from now on now full Premier League squads are returning, and once a couple of the big transfers go through this will kick off the whole market. Even today the Grealish deal and Villa's bids have started things off. Cranie I think was always a contingency option if we didn't get our main targets - such as Clarke-Salter.

Skybluebeliever

They would have known his age before taking him on trial, it’s not a secret
We would have never have got crane or bushiri in for a trial if drysdale, rose and Hyam had not been missing for majority of pre season , Clarke salter was always planned to come in but delayed due to euros and Chelsea players returning , same with sourve , mattison was delayed by 2 weeks due to illness , if we had not had these players in , we would not have been able to fulfil some of the games
Waghorne will be a top earner but we also went after James and were prepared to sign both , I think victor was confirmed once James was not coming

shmmeee

Who are the 6 though? Sheaf we signed last summer. Moore, Bright, Maatsen all have a distinct “Plan B” feel about them. Györkeres and Waghorn seem OK but we had Walker and Godden already and weren’t crying out for strikers like we were CBs.

We’ve tried an failed to get Walsh, James, Patterson, Cranie presumably because of wages. Looks like we’ll get another couple of second tier loans in and maybe a free at CM if we can convince someone to take our deadwood off our hands.

It hardly screams well planned and properly funded transfer window like the last few have.

shmmeee

2 strikers wasnt a priority when we let 2 go ffs 🤣🤣 if we didn’t sign 2 strikers we would have Tavares as our backup come Sunday

And as it stands we have Drysdale as backup at CB, Howley as backup CM and Reid as backup LWB while our top scorer and big investment last season sits on the bench. Also we regularly play with 1 ST and can’t play with less than 3 CBs or without a LWB or CM.

From a squad planning POV it’s nuts.

KersleyDigs

Rose and Hyam getting covid will have been a factor in bringing Cranie in I suspect as he will have been an extra body even in training. Loads of quality loans will only start to happen from now on now full Premier League squads are returning, and once a couple of the big transfers go through this will kick off the whole market. Even today the Grealish deal and Villa's bids have started things off. Cranie I think was always a contingency option if we didn't get our main targets - such as Clarke-Salter.
Awaits Norwich bid for O'Hare after Cantwell is sold...

skybluegod

Who are the 6 though? Sheaf we signed last summer. Moore, Bright, Maatsen all have a distinct “Plan B” feel about them. Györkeres and Waghorn seem OK but we had Walker and Godden already and weren’t crying out for strikers like we were CBs.

We’ve tried an failed to get Walsh, James, Patterson, Cranie presumably because of wages. Looks like we’ll get another couple of second tier loans in and maybe a free at CM if we can convince someone to take our deadwood off our hands.

It hardly screams well planned and properly funded transfer window like the last few have.

What do you mean who are the 6? You listed them. No sheaf was signed this summer. The deal was agreed last summer, the fee was payable this summer.

So you are guessing they are plan B rather than having any proof? And do you have any proof we tried to sign the players you mentioned? I'd agree we were in for James and likely Patterson given the large amount of noise around him, but it seemed to me the fans talked about Walsh more than any real links and even if we were in for all 4 players there is nothing wrong with have a ceiling for what you are going to pay? Again you are guessing Craine because of wages? And yet there are plenty of different versions of why we didn't go for him?

We were actually crying out for strikers far more than CB's in my view. If we hadn't signed waghorn and Gyo, we would be going into Forest with just Walker given godden isn't fit? Compared to having 5 Cb's- Hyam, Rose, Fadz, Pask and Drysdale. Yes the area needs to be improved rather importantly but it wasn't the priority, as there was at least options.

Ccfcisparks

And as it stands we have Drysdale as backup at CB, Howley as backup CM and Reid as backup LWB while our top scorer and big investment last season sits on the bench. Also we regularly play with 1 ST and can’t play with less than 3 CBs or without a LWB or CM.

From a squad planning POV it’s nuts.
We regularly only played with 1 striker as well because we only had 1 fit at the time, which was usually Max or Walker.

shmmeee

Yet you wanted us to sign another keeper 😆

I wanted to sign a different keeper yeah. What’s that got to do with the point other than you lose your shit when anyone suggests everything might not be perfect? Back your point up or shit the fuck up. Laughing emojis aren’t an argument.

Ccfcisparks

I wanted to sign a different keeper yeah. What’s that got to do with the point other than you lose your shit when anyone suggests everything might not be perfect? Back your point up or shit the fuck up. Laughing emojis aren’t an argument.
No you wanted to sign ANOTHER keeper as well as having Moore, Wilson and Tyler. You're in cloud cuckoo land.

Ccfcisparks

Of the 17 people who have predicted our goalscorers for Sunday on the Forest thread, 12 of them have chosen Waghorn to score yet we simultaneously don't think he's worth 1/3 of the average wage for this division? 🤷🏼‍♂️
IMO I think he is most likely to get us 10-15 goals this year. If he does that nobody will be questioning his wage.

shmmeee

IMO I think he is most likely to get us 10-15 goals this year. If he does that nobody will be questioning his wage.

I think both Walker and Godden would get you the same. Walker got 8 in a team that created virtually no chances while he was injured or ill for half the season.

Users who are viewing this thread