Where do you think the stadium site in Coventry might be? (3 Viewers)

shmmeee

Old Courtaulds site, Old Church Road? I'm not sure if there's something on it now, but I think it's big enough.

I have serious doubts about the veracity of the idea though, as others have said, why would the FL need to get involved if it's within the city?

View attachment 4781

Thats Paragon Park. They're building a massive housing estate on it, phase 1 has started already.

Still say City Centre South. Just down the road from the Butts, next to the Ice Hockey. It could be a little sports quarter. And it's not like there isn't a ton of undeveloped land in the city centre they're having trouble shifting.

shmmeee

Also: the traffic on Foleshill Road is bad enough, it could never handle a match day. I can't park on my road at the best of times!

Same for the Butts, nothing like the infrastructure needed.

City centre or edge of town are the only options I can see.

Si80

It definitely won't be on the land next to the Alan Higgs centre leading up to the London Rd :whistle:

chiefdave

Bought hs my ticket from the Butts the other week, had a walk round as parked in earlsdon under the railway bridge and I was surprised how much room there is to build another 3 stands. It's easily capable of being a tight Highfield Rd type stadium holding 23000, the only snag would be car parking!
it would be good though.

Is the need for car parking and infrastructure a bit of a red herring? Its not like we had thousands of parking spaces and a motorway right up to HR. How many other grounds do we visit where you have to park in the street or in local businesses car parks.

For me the Butts is ideal. The issue of car parking is not a problem, pretty much every bus route goes into the city centre, its walkable from the train station and there's multi story car parks in town.

skybluetony176

It definitely won't be on the land next to the Alan Higgs centre leading up to the London Rd :whistle:

That would be ideal. More than one way in and out Allard way, Humber Road and London Road onto the A46 towards Warwick and going the other way A45 south, pretty much a green field site so less prep work of the site before building and would be classed as in fill so should be easier from the planning side of things.

Nick

Administrator
That would be ideal. More than one way in and out Allard way, Humber Road and London Road onto the A46 towards Warwick and going the other way A45 south, pretty much a green field site so less prep work of the site before building and would be classed as in fill so should be easier from the planning side of things.

Read his post history... :)

skybluetony176

Is the need for car parking and infrastructure a bit of a red herring? Its not like we had thousands of parking spaces and a motorway right up to HR. How many other grounds do we visit where you have to park in the street or in local businesses car parks.

For me the Butts is ideal. The issue of car parking is not a problem, pretty much every bus route goes into the city centre, its walkable from the train station and there's multi story car parks in town.

You would think that a deal could be done with the butts college on parking, they have a sizable car park and I would imagine it sits empty at the weekends and evenings. Plus isn't there park and ride from the memorial park into town, or could there be?

skybluesam66

You would think that a deal could be done with the butts college on parking, they have a sizable car park and I would imagine it sits empty at the weekends and evenings. Plus isn't there park and ride from the memorial park into town, or could there be?
is there still a college there - thought it was a travelodge now

chiefdave

Even if there isn't getting a park and ride up and running for matchdays isn't really going to be that hard.

Think it would be the ideal solution. Unfortunately I suspect us talking about it on here is the closest we will get.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Last I saw was that CRFC had a 100 year lease on the Butts stadium - the land owner being CCC. You might think some contact would have been made with the landowner by now.

Also put stands up on the three other sides will create parking issues both in reality and planning. For a start off the stands would be erected on the only existing parking on site. I think planning regs will require a minimum number of parking spaces, but also coach access/parking/turning.

How close can they build to the railway line?

It is going to require a big investment in infra structure in that area..... there is a "natural" choke point with the railway bridge for example and the building of stands will be close to the only road access. Park and ride schemes are fine so long as there is space to stop at the destination. One of the biggest planning worries might be the effect of the traffic on match days on the other traffic flows through the city centre - On busy match days I think you could easily end up with gridlock

With all that going on could CRFC still play there - would the site be safe? considering they would have to be working across the only access points?

Not to mention objections by the local residents and those in Earlsdon for example

Last edited:

oldfiver

Last I saw was that CRFC had a 100 year lease on the Butts stadium - the land owner being CCC. You might think some contact would have been made with the landowner by now.

Also put stands up on the three other sides will create parking issues both in reality and planning. For a start off the stands would be erected on the only existing parking on site. I think planning regs will require a minimum number of parking spaces, but also coach access/parking/turning.

How close can they build to the railway line?

It is going to require a big investment in infra structure in that area..... there is a "natural" choke point with the railway bridge for example and the building of stands will be close to the only road access. Park and ride schemes are fine so long as there is space to stop at the destination. One of the biggest planning worries might be the effect of the traffic on match days on the other traffic flows through the city centre - On busy match days I think you could easily end up with gridlock

With all that going on could CRFC still play there - would the site be safe? considering they would have to be working across the only access points?

Not to mention objections by the local residents and those in Earlsdon for example

Blimey

You are a versatile chap -town planner as well. More in that than accountancy I bet :p

shmmeee

It's more than an old peoples home, it's a huge 10 story megatropolis. It's fucking huge.

I can't wait to retire, the place looks awesome. Is a bit MegaCity1 though.

Guys, it really won't be the Butts, just not going to happen.

GaryJones

Ive heard the new stadium is "On Cloud Cuckoo Land" :D

Grendel

Johnnythespider

Here is my guess, Walsgrave, I thinbk the large Tesco store is not terribly profitable and the bowling alley possibly even less so, so a stadium and some housing might replace those sites. Also the road links are good and in place and there are several established hotels nearby.
walsgr10.jpg
Ia that big brown field between the A46 and the M69 in Coventry ?

bringbackrattles

Ia that big brown field between the A46 and the M69 in Coventry ?
Do you remember the time when they were going to build a new national stadium away from Wembley and London ? Well one of the favourite places mentioned was Walsgrave Triangle because it is central etc and easy for fans to get to all over the country. But in the end they decided to stay put,and as I used to live in Walsgrave I had visions of just strolling up to watch England play there,but London won in the end yet again !

fernandopartridge

I've mentioned before that Parkside was in the running back in the 90s. Of course the land there has subsequently been developed. Would have much preferred it there, much closer to the club's traditional home(s).

Users who are viewing this thread