Where do you think the stadium site in Coventry might be? (1 Viewer)

J

Jack Griffin

Lets play a guessing game, have a guess at where the site might be with your reasoning.

If possible provide a map with a scale and the approx location of the site marked on it.

Below the Ricoh for reference.
ricoh10.jpg

Attachments

• ricoh10.jpg
    ricoh10.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 37
J

Jack Griffin

Here is my guess, Walsgrave, I thinbk the large Tesco store is not terribly profitable and the bowling alley possibly even less so, so a stadium and some housing might replace those sites. Also the road links are good and in place and there are several established hotels nearby.
walsgr10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

skybluetony176

Butts.

Needs councils help. We've been cozying up to Coventry Rugby club lately and the FL have apparently inspected the site which could be an indication that it's an existing ground.

It's a theory anyway.

letsallsingtogether

On the triangular plot of land next to the Ricoh arena could use their car parks and could even knock down the station for some extra room after all it will never be used.

Calista

Butts.

Needs councils help. We've been cozying up to Coventry Rugby club lately and the FL have apparently inspected the site which could be an indication that it's an existing ground.

It's a theory anyway.

Trying to guess is nearly impossible, but I definitely like your logic Tony. I’d say it’s at least 27% more likely than Hill’s hover-boards anyway.

ccfcway

Butts, knock down the current stands, rotate the pitch somewhat and build a stand parallel to the train track to maximise space, Room for a 15k seater stadium which we would own and rent to the rugby club as well.

I am not in any way suggesting we should, more than it wouldn't surprise me if its in SISU's thinking

Seamus1

Although I'm also of the belief that there will be no new stadium, were one to be built I would think the following 2 sites could be possible, as could others mentioned:

1) Ansty Rolls Royce site: I believe the final workshop there is due to Close in 2017, and with a link road from Ansty Park, could provide easy access to M6, M69 and A46. I believe this area falls under Rugby Council planning?

2) Coventry Airport: Peter Rigby has sold off land where the passenger terminal is for warehouses to be built, more of the airport land at the Western end is to be developed for the Gateway project. It won't be too long before losing so much land will render the airport unviable and other forms of development will take place on it. Easy access to what will be the new Tollbar junction...even that should be finished before outline planning permission for the fantasy stadium is submitted. This area also involves not applying to Coventry City Council for planning approval (Warwick District Council instead), but the city council do own the land.

W

westcountry_skyblue

Gosford green or pool meadow then we can drink in town again and good for business in the city !!!

bringbackrattles

Can't see it happening but if it did I reckon the space on the old Courtaulds site in Little Heath would be ideal. It's lying empty and it's not far from where we are now.

percy

Cant see it being built inner city as outskirts makes more logistical sense. That said i think the ricoh will ours again within 5 years

Samo

Cant see it being built inner city as outskirts makes more logistical sense. That said i think the ricoh will ours again within 5 years

Where do you get that notion from?

bringbackrattles

percy we struggle to get fans inside the Ricoh now so if the stadium was built on the outskirts it would be worse ? To get to say Ansty would put many off.

percy

percy we struggle to get fans inside the Ricoh now so if the stadium was built on the outskirts it would be worse ? To get to say Ansty would put many off.

im with you on that but i think generally that modern stadiums are built outside of town centres as it can cause all sorts of problems regards traffic in and out of the ground. we cant even get decent shops in our city centre let alone a football stadium

Samo

nowhere really just living in hope as always, only thing us cov fans have been brought up to do

I would dearly love you to be right.

bringbackrattles

im with you on that but i think generally that modern stadiums are built outside of town centres as it can cause all sorts of problems regards traffic in and out of the ground. we cant even get decent shops in our city centre let alone a football stadium
You may be right as getting to MK Dons ground was more akin to going on a long hike in the Andes !

wingy

Problematic for the council wherever It's meant to go.
There Is national pressure to build more houses,Indeed pressure from the expansion. In the local population.
The City Is hemmed In and hoping /encouraging neighbouring Councils to take up the slack.
Nuneaton recently knocked back a 700-800 home development that CCC hoped would help with Its numbers.

slyblue57

to be honest i do nt care where it is in coventry as long as it is there. I live in solihull and theres been talk it might be by the airport . It needs to be in cov theres a clue in the name !!! coventry city fc pusb

percy

we must be staying at the ricoh, this new stadium talk seems to be coinciding with the fact that negotiations are about take place again with the owners of the stadium. if you were so sure you were going to move then why even entertain the idea of staying???

Nick

Administrator

The Ricoh is on the outskirts already though.

I wouldn't mind it being at Ansty, not as ideal for me as I couldn't walk there but people who live in Binley can't walk to the Ricoh like I can now :)

duffer

Old Courtaulds site, Old Church Road? I'm not sure if there's something on it now, but I think it's big enough.

I have serious doubts about the veracity of the idea though, as others have said, why would the FL need to get involved if it's within the city?

courtaulds.jpg

Nick

Administrator
Old Courtaulds site, Old Church Road? I'm not sure if there's something on it now, but I think it's big enough.

I have serious doubts about the veracity of the idea though, as others have said, why would the FL need to get involved if it's within the city?

View attachment 4781

Isn't that where the car dealer place is now? I am not sure they have all of it though.

Gynnsthetonic

Butts.

It's a theory anyway.

Bought hs my ticket from the Butts the other week, had a walk round as parked in earlsdon under the railway bridge and I was surprised how much room there is to build another 3 stands. It's easily capable of being a tight Highfield Rd type stadium holding 23000, the only snag would be car parking!
it would be good though.

Rob S

I like the hover board idea but the traditional way would be on a disc carried by elephants mounted on turtle. Keep it real.

Gazolba

Bought my ticket from the Butts the other week, .... It's easily capable of being a tight Highfield Rd type stadium holding 23000, the only snag would be car parking!
it would be good though.

No problem, we'll just build a rail station next door.

Users who are viewing this thread