The EU: In, out, shake it all about.... (41 Viewers)

As of right now, how are thinking of voting? In or out

• Remain

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Leave

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Not registered or not intention to vote

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

skybluetony176

Here's a possible side effect of voting out. There's a lot of talk about people emigrating now. I must confess that myself and my wife have talked about it today as we're unsure what sort of a future this country is going to offer our children and at the end of the day they come first. Here's the problem if skilled workers and people with enough wealth leave this could mean net migration might have to go up to fill the hole in skilled workers. Here's another problem, if all this continues to weaken the pound the UK will find it harder and harder to fill this gap which will again have a negative effect on the economy and probably the NHS. Benefiting the EU we've just voted to leave.

Ashdown

Surely now we have to make fundamental constitutional changes to our country we should have a general election to choose the government to do it. Maybe even a coalition of all major parties or some national unity government. We can't let Boris, Gove and IDS decide the rules for all future governments without a mandate can we??
I wouldn't be against this, take the best from all parties and form a 'Common sense party' !

wingy

I must admit I was shocked and upset by the result, but am hoping that things don't go t*ts up with the economy(as I am/was fearing). I think immigration may prove to be a red herring, as I'm not sure that many people realise that 'asylum seekers' can claim next to nowt in terms of benefits when they get here (yes, some of the EU people can). Not surprised Cameron has gone, Corbyn looked like someone who wanted leave in the first place and now looks like a wet lettuce (as a leader), Faraje is having his five minutes in the sun (but is a buffoon) and Boris is a lovable rogue but I'm not sure how he would cope as an international statesman (what the hell would the Queen make of him?). Gove - everybody seems to detest him. Really think there may be a political vacuum, without a statesman from Labour to rally around, as this seems like a 'Labour' / working class vote (nowt wrong with that) and the Tories have to deal with the resultant mess. Just my opinion. PUSB!
Indeed yet the vote was held to shore up division in the Conservative party.

clint van damme

from 5th biggest to 6th biggest economy overnight and a future PM who wasn't even aware it had happened!
Scots after a 2nd referendum and a rush in unionist parts Northern Ireland to apply for Irish passports.
as some old Chinese fella once said, "May you live in interesting times".

Ashdown

from 5th biggest to 6th biggest economy overnight and a future PM who wasn't even aware it had happened!
Scots after a 2nd referendum and a rush in unionist parts Northern Ireland to apply for Irish passports.
as some old Chinese fella once said, "May you live in interesting times".
So much knee jerk reaction ! People just should enjoy the weekend, let discussions start to resume on Monday. One thing I did earlier was read all the statements from a stack of the world leaders and I didn't really hear any bitterness or resentment from anyone except apart from.................oh yes Merkel and the Germans ! Well fuck her and her wet EU dream !

dancers lance

As this was the first truly democratic vote in many peoples lifetimes (1 vote equaled 1 point) I think that the protest vote also played a massive part in this referendum. It was a chance to get rid of a government that the majority didn't vote for (36.9%) using the first past the post system and 'stick it to em'. The Labour leave vote in this was also a massive shock that many didn't see coming.

Terry Gibson's perm

So much knee jerk reaction ! People just should enjoy the weekend, let discussions start to resume on Monday. One thing I did earlier was read all the statements from a stack of the world leaders and I didn't really hear any bitterness or resentment from anyone except apart from.................oh yes Merkel and the Germans ! Well fuck her and her wet EU dream !

She must be thinking where can we make up the shortfall. She will be gone soon as well Europe is changing

dancers lance

One of the major players in the Vote leave campaign was Gisela Stuart a Labour MP (Birmingham Edgebaston) who was born in West Germany. Merkel must be Summoning an almighty wrath and holy vengeance upon her (and possible locust plague) along with the rest of the Christian Democratic Party

Sky Blue Harry H

One of the major players in the Vote leave campaign was Gisela Stuart a Labour MP (Birmingham Edgebaston) who was born in West Germany. Merkel must be Summoning an almighty wrath and holy vengeance upon her (and possible locust plague) along with the rest of the Christian Democratic Party
Hadn't come across her before this debate, and although she came across reasonably well (albeit i disagreed with her) the're was something about her I didn't take to. Now you tell me she's German - glad to see my xenophobic 6th sense is still working well !

stupot07

Here's a possible side effect of voting out. There's a lot of talk about people emigrating now. I must confess that myself and my wife have talked about it today as we're unsure what sort of a future this country is going to offer our children and at the end of the day they come first. Here's the problem if skilled workers and people with enough wealth leave this could mean net migration might have to go up to fill the hole in skilled workers. Here's another problem, if all this continues to weaken the pound the UK will find it harder and harder to fill this gap which will again have a negative effect on the economy and probably the NHS. Benefiting the EU we've just voted to leave.

Yeah, me and the missus had the same conversation this morning.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

dancers lance

Hadn't come across her before this debate, and although she came across reasonably well (albeit i disagreed with her) the're was something about her I didn't take to. Now you tell me she's German - glad to see my xenophobic 6th sense is still working well !
It was the German accent that gave it away to me..

stupot07

We won't do anything rash but we're certainly weighing up our opinions. New Zealand looks nice.
Yeah, I think we're going to do the same. Weigh up the options whilst seeing what happens when the dust starts to settle.

chiefdave

Calm down all's good and the bonus is that Corbyn will soon be crawling back under his rock.
Think Labour are shooting themselves in the foot here. If they go through with the vote of no confidence against Corbyn he'll just win the next leadership election. The rank and file members of the party are far more in line with Corbyn than the likes of Hodge.

lewys33

Not if we want to continue to trade with EU countries we can't!

Indeed, if we want to trade with the eu we will have to abide by eu laws.

I'm done with this now though, I've had my day or moaning. Time to accept it and deal with it as best we can.

EDIT: 1 more ...... We've effectively told these Europeans that they have 2 years to get here before the door shuts. Let's see Eu immigration in a years time.

Last edited:

chiefdave

Here's a possible side effect of voting out. There's a lot of talk about people emigrating now.
Wonder how widespread this will be. I know 3 people who have said today that they are leaving and not in a having a flounce kind of way. In a making plans and handing their notice in kind of way.

Also know 2 people who have been told they will be made redundant as a result. Again skilled, educated people. We need to act quickly to ensure we don't lose valuable members of our workforce.

The vote is done. Leave now needs to come out with a clear plan to move us forward and deliver on their promises. Worst possible thing to do is what they are talking about with a period of calm or similar. It just makes it look like there is no plan for what to do in the event of a leave vote.

The EU are already talking about getting us out as quickly as possible. We need to get our act together.

chiefdave

The EU's a sinking ship.
It may well be the beginning of the end but would that be good for the UK? The stronger countries may well decide to stick together and make the UK pay for our role in the EU's collapse.

That would be the worst case scenario for me. EU collapses and a new body forms more in line with what the EU was before a lot of poorer countries were admitted. If that happens we need to ensure we aren't frozen out.

skybluetony176

Yeah, I think we're going to do the same. Weigh up the options whilst seeing what happens when the dust starts to settle.

That's one of the problems as I see it. When will the dust settle? Will it settle during the negotiations or will it only start to settle once the negotiations have been completed and we leave in two years time? Do you make a decision to go or stay sooner or later? It's a conundrum.

chiefdave

Exactly, nobody told me why I should vote for their campaign and why it would benefit me personally. How many millions of people don't follow on newsnight and debates etc?
The referendum has just magnified a problem with politics in general. People don't care about facts, Gove was even on TV saying people don't want to hear from experts! They just want soundbites and don't care if they are factually accurate or not.

chiefdave

That's one of the problems as I see it. When will the dust settle? Will it settle during the negotiations or will it only start to settle once the negotiations have been completed and we leave in two years time? Do you make a decision to go or stay sooner or later? It's a conundrum.
We need to get moving. The longer it drags on the longer the period of uncertainty which is not good for the economy. I hope Leave have a plan of action and can act upon it quickly.

dancers lance

Cue the anti immigration posters in New Zealand showing lines of offended Brits in their £500 suits, Rolex watches and suitcases of cash made from selling their holiday homes in Padstow whilst retaining the family home to rent for monthly income as the renting market is very buoyant at the minute.........poor souls.

lewys33

I was considering emigration before the vote. Several jobs going in America that would suit me at tesla, FCA, Hyundai. I bottled applying but said to my wife this morning maybe I will apply and just see how it goes.

Johnnythespider

Wonder how widespread this will be. I know 3 people who have said today that they are leaving and not in a having a flounce kind of way. In a making plans and handing their notice in kind of way.

Also know 2 people who have been told they will be made redundant as a result. Again skilled, educated people. We need to act quickly to ensure we don't lose valuable members of our workforce.

The vote is done. Leave now needs to come out with a clear plan to move us forward and deliver on their promises. Worst possible thing to do is what they are talking about with a period of calm or similar. It just makes it look like there is no plan for what to do in the event of a leave vote.

The EU are already talking about getting us out as quickly as possible. We need to get our act together.
I honestly don't think they do know what to do, I think Boris looked quite shocked this morning, in a "is this really happening" kind of way.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

skybluetony176

I don't think there is a plan Dave. No wonder Cameron resigned. He can see the shit storm that's coming and doesn't want to be any part of it.

lewys33

We need to get moving. The longer it drags on the longer the period of uncertainty which is not good for the economy. I hope Leave have a plan of action and can act upon it quickly.

I don't think People get the whole "investors don't do uncertainty" issue. Although the BofE have helped the market recover today.

Users who are viewing this thread