Gyokeres (4 Viewers)

Marty

Really not that bothered, not sure why anyone is, we all knew weeks ago he wanted out if we didn't make it to the prem. Very good player but his goals are replaceable, his style of play isn't. Bring up the overall quality of the squad, make sure we get the right deal for us and I'll be more than happy. If this sale allows us to keep Hamer and bring in a few more quality players, I'll be chuffed to bits.

AFCCOVENTRY

Really not that bothered, not sure why anyone is, we all knew weeks ago he wanted out if we didn't make it to the prem. Very good player but his goals are replaceable, his style of play isn't. Bring up the overall quality of the squad, make sure we get the right deal for us and I'll be more than happy. If this sale allows us to keep Hamer and bring in a few more quality players, I'll be chuffed to bits.

Completely agree. The over reaction from fans is slightly odd. Everyone gets so personal about stuff like this.

He played 2.5 seasons for us and we made him into a better player. We paid maybe around £1m for him and now he could go for £17m+ hopefully. Great work by the club. That money can now go into supporting the infrastructure of the club and better quality signings overall for the squad.

Vik has been loyal and time for him to move on and so do we.

I look forward to the next lot of talent Mark and Adi can nurture.

Last edited:

PVA

I do think we'll play differently next season without Vik.

This season were were about 7th lowest in possession stats. Last season we were 6th most.

I know we obviously had Vik that season as well, but it was definitely a different style of play this year. Maybe being without O'Hare had an impact on that too.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It's why I think keeping Hamer would be preferable if Vik is off.

I think Hamer could adapt to a different striker with a different style of play - he can play it to feet and then push up to support them, he could split defences for a quick striker playing on the shoulder of the last defender or get the ball out wide for a player good in the air, as well as providing set pieces for them. We'd have greater versatility in the way we could play and so give us more potential options to replace Vik.

Grendel

It's why I think keeping Hamer would be preferable if Vik is off.

I think Hamer could adapt to a different striker with a different style of play - he can play it to feet and then push up to support them, he could split defences for a quick striker playing on the shoulder of the last defender or get the ball out wide for a player good in the air, as well as providing set pieces for them. We'd have greater versatility in the way we could play and so give us more potential options to replace Vik.

In Gyokeres first season we played differently - we had far more possession and o hare playing virtually every game

bigfatronssba

I do think we'll play differently next season without Vik.

This season were were about 7th lowest in possession stats. Last season we were 6th most.

I know we obviously had Vik that season as well, but it was definitely a different style of play this year. Maybe being without O'Hare had an impact on that too.

Changing style of play is preferable anyway.
Playing the same way all the time just gives other teams a better chance of working out your weaknesses.
Dowie, Boothroyd, Mowbray, all got us into early play off positions, only to throw it away. The reason being their inability to change style and so just got found out by opponents.

Colin Steins Smile

From reading the quotes attributed to Vik, I think it shows a little bit of anxiety on his part. My reasoning is his desire to go to a manager/team that will play him every week and suit his attributes. He obviously sees the danger of being sold for the highest bidder and end up sat on the bench at a club where the director of football signed him and a coach doesn't want him.
As for CCFC, I trust MR & AV in identifying the type of player to take us to the next level.

CCFCSteve

From reading the quotes attributed to Vik, I think it shows a little bit of anxiety on his part. My reasoning is his desire to go to a manager/team that will play him every week and suit his attributes. He obviously sees the danger of being sold for the highest bidder and end up sat on the bench at a club where the director of football signed him and a coach doesn't want him.
As for CCFC, I trust MR & AV in identifying the type of player to take us to the next level.

Yeah, I could understand the upset more if he said ‘I’ll just wait out my contract and go for free wherever I want’. He’s ambitious and wants to move to the next level. It feels like it’s currently Sporting although guess that depends who else properly comes in for him. I thought maybe a big German club might

bigfatronssba

I'd imagine the interview has just been put into Google Translate and then just made as controversial as possible to get their clicks.

I hope that is the case

slowpoke

I haven’t read it but sounds to me there’s a bit of mischief making, there seems to be strong interest from Sporting so perhaps from there and all the on going rumours from a number of Prem clubs. But imo Vik needs to play every week not guaranteed at prem level, big decision ahead of him.

Offhegoes

If anything this is a good thing, and might hurry up his transfer. We all knew Vik would be off after the play off final. If we can get £19-£20 million then adios. I am sure Robins has a list of targets to bring in, but the longer this drags out we won't be able to do our business. Last thing we want is Vik going in August, and then missing out on the players we had wanted.
Hamer is more worrying, as the signs are he wants to stay but we're not matching his terms. Really hope we can get McNally and Norton-Cuffy on permanent deals.

AFCCOVENTRY

I'd imagine the interview has just been put into Google Translate and then just made as controversial as possible to get their clicks.

Have you ever noticed every interview when he is on international duty with Sweden gets translated into something quite cold… 😂
If anything this is a good thing, and might hurry up his transfer. We all knew Vik would be off after the play off final. If we can get £19-£20 million then adios. I am sure Robins has a list of targets to bring in, but the longer this drags out we won't be able to do our business. Last thing we want is Vik going in August, and then missing out on the players we had wanted.
Hamer is more worrying, as the signs are he wants to stay but we're not matching his terms. Really hope we can get McNally and Norton-Cuffy on permanent deals.

Transfer window opens tomorrow. Let’s see what happens.

Vern87

The uproar from certain fans here is bizarre. Clearly last summer there was interest, which was rejected, most likely he will have been told it will be reviewed again in January & this summer. Bids were rejected in January and he was asked to stay and help us push on, a move which nearly saw us promoted and him named in the team of the season with stats we haven't seen from a player at the club. During this time he said publicly that he would stay with us had we gone up. He's been outstanding and nearly dragged us to the premier league from being in the bottom 3 in November.

The price quoted of £17m plus add-ons, in addition to a large percentage of a future sale is a fantastic deal for us & he is well within his rights given what he will have been told and promised behind to scenes to comment on figures of £25-£30m being too high when he has 1 year left with us. They are too high. It's his career too and he's earned a move, he has possibly 7 more years as a top level professional so these times for him are vitally important to get the moves right. We have helped him but his impact on us is far greater, without him none of the last two years progress would have been possible. He's on a promise from us for showing loyalty and he wants that loyalty to be repaid, not outpriced.

Anyone wishing him good riddance and hope he fails needs to give your head a wobble, that Wembley ticket, increased season ticket sales, sell out crowds etc wouldn't have existed without him and some short one minute Q&A with the press shouldn't change that.

Last edited:

bigfatronssba

Have you ever noticed every interview when he is on international duty with Sweden gets translated into something quite cold… 😂

Transfer window opens tomorrow. Let’s see what happens.

Scandinavians are by nature though very unemotional when displaying their feelings.

bigfatronssba

The uproar from certain fans here is bizarre. Clearly last summer there was interest, which was rejected, most likely he will have been told it will be reviewed again in January & this summer. Bids were rejected in January and he was asked to stay and help us push on, a move which nearly saw us promoted and him named in the team of the season with stats we haven't seen from a player at the club. During this time he said publicly that he would stay with us had we gone up. He's been outstanding and nearly dragged us to the premier league from being in the bottom 3 in November.

The price quoted of £17m plus add-ons, in addition to a large percentage of a future sale is a fantastic deal for us & he is well within his rights given what he will have been told and promised behind to scenes to comment on figures of £25-£30m being too high when he has 1 year left with us. They are too high. It's his career too and he's earned a move, he has possibly 7 more years as a top level professional so these times for him are vitally important to get the moves right. We have helped him but his impact on us is far greater, without him none of the last two years progress would have been possible. He's on a promise from us for showing loyalty and he wants that loyalty to be repaid, not outpriced.

Anyone wishing his good riddance and hope he fails needs to give your head a wobble, that Wembley ticket, increased season ticket sales, sell out crowds etc wouldn't have existed without him and some short one minute Q&A with the press shouldn't change that.

I’m not wishing him good riddance. I’m wishing him well, and would applaud him if he appeared at the CBS for an opposing team.
I just think those comments were unnecessary and inappropriate

Vern87

I’m not wishing him good riddance. I’m wishing him well, and would applaud him if he appeared at the CBS for an opposing team.
I just think those comments were unnecessary and inappropriate

He was asked a question and gave an answer, he said nothing out of turn and was being honest. He'd like a move that suits him, his life and career, at a fair price that works for all parties and not above. Which is something we will have promised him.

stevefloyd

Look the guys been brilliant for us without him we wouldn't have made the play offs.. we're due to make a handsome profit ...nothing lasts forever lets hope we can bring someone in to take us to another level, a difficult task but hopefully achievable

ccfcricoh

dont really care whats been said to be honest, agent clearly hard at work, the transfer window isn't even open yet so it's not like anything can have happened anyway.

He's been great for us, and we wouldnt have had a playoff chance without him

We've been great for him, and he probably wouldn't have the opportunities he's about to without us

Its football, players move on, Robins will ensure that he does the right thing for the club in the first instance, but will of course not stop Gyokeres getting his opportunity if possible.

bigfatronssba

He was asked a question and gave an answer, he said nothing out of turn and was being honest. He'd like a move that suits him, his life and career, at a fair price that works for all parties and not above. Which is something we will have promised him.

So if Robins was asked his opinion of Todd Kane, and Robins gave his honest held belief of “he’s shite”, would you be happy with that? Or do you not think he should be more diplomatic?

You can give an honest answer without being inappropriate

1ccfc

So if Robins was asked his opinion of Todd Kane, and Robins gave his honest held belief of “he’s shite”, would you be happy with that? Or do you not think he should be more diplomatic?

Was he that inappropriate? A lot of what is written can also be taken out of context without seeing how it was said. Regardless, I don't see too much wrong with what he's said if that's how he feels.

GaryPendrysEyes

Anyone wishing him good riddance and hope he fails needs to give your head a wobble, that Wembley ticket, increased season ticket sales, sell out crowds etc wouldn't have existed without him and some short one minute Q&A with the press shouldn't change that.
I’ve no idea what was said to him and when and nether have you.
In the end he signed a contract. It would have been madness to release him from it in January when we needed to push for the playoffs. Why should he have had any expectation we would release him half way through his contract under those circumstances?
He knows our history and our scarce funds so suggesting we lose several £m to be nice to him sniffs of self-centred entitlement. We took him from relative obscurity, he was paid a good wage and we developed him well and gave him a great platform for his career. He did a really good job for us but hey get some real life perspective.
I wish him well - after we sell him for the maximum we can get.

Vern87

Completely disproportionate response, Vik hasn't said anything near this by comparison - his response is no different to Robins coming out and saying performances individually were poor, which he has, and named names and been candid about. Moore at the start of the season as a prime example.

worc0257

Andy Mutch? He wasn't a winger though, more like a Beardsley-type forward. I think he'd have still scored loads without him though.
Andy Mutch, yeah, that was the guy I had in mind. Stand corrected on his being a winger, and I'm sure you're right about Bull scoring loads of goals anyway. Got to be one of the better strike forces outside the top flight ever, I'd think. Sad that, like Celtic winning the European Cup with a team all born within 30 miles of the home ground, it'll never happen again.

Sick Boy

What's your level of Swedish like? Not all other languages/cultures are as indirect as we can be when speaking English. He shouldn't have to adapt to that either.

bigfatronssba

Was he that inappropriate? A lot of what is written can also be taken out of context without seeing how it was said. Regardless, I don't see too much wrong with what he's said if that's how he feels.

I do think it’s inappropriate for a player to publicly be discussing their own value.

Reactions: vow

bigfatronssba

Completely disproportionate response, Vik hasn't said anything near this by comparison - his response is no different to Robins coming out and saying performances individually were poor, which he has, and named names and been candid about. Moore at the start of the season as a prime example.

I agree it is disproportionate, sometimes that is the easiest way to make a point

1ccfc

I’ve no idea what was said to him and when and nether have you.
In the end he signed a contract. It would have been madness to release him from it in January when we needed to push for the playoffs. Why should he have had any expectation we would release him half way through his contract under those circumstances?
He knows our history and our scarce funds so suggesting we lose several £m to be nice to him sniffs of self-centred entitlement. We took him from relative obscurity, he was paid a good wage and we developed him well and gave him a great platform for his career. He did a really good job for us but hey get some real life perspective.
I wish him well - after we sell him for the maximum we can get.
He wants the best for himself the same way we want the best for the club, it's no differant. You could argue that the offer from Sporting is actually fair on the basis they could sign him on a pre contract for free in just over 6 months. If that were to happen and we lost him for nothing, all of a sudden 17m in the bank plus add ons and a sell on clause look really good. If Vik really was 'self-centred' he would be better waiting until January as he would get larger wages and a nice signing on fee. I think he just wants what he feels is fair.

bigfatronssba

What's your level of Swedish like? Not all other languages/cultures are as indirect as we can be when speaking English. He shouldn't have to adapt to that either.

I have said that I’m making a presumption it’s an accurate translation, but I hope it’s not

Users who are viewing this thread