Gyokeres (7 Viewers)

long way home

Eh? Brighton definitely saw the potential in him too.

Yeah as a player, but every club that signs anyone to a pro contract thinks they have potential. But surely today they sit thinking financially he didn't look 20mill while at the club. They get a cut but i bet they wish it was the total fee.

Last edited:

djr8369

He has been brilliant over the last two years but no doubt he owes a lot to the club with MR and AV showing faith in him and bending the style to suit. The interview shows a huge lack of class and some immaturity to me. If I was MR I'd be on the blower telling him to reign it in before he gets himself a fine.
He doesn’t owe anything. You make it sound like we bent over backwards to propel his career forward whereas the club did what was in its own best interest and both parties benefitted. From what I’ve seen all he’s said is he’d prefer to go wherever he prefers rather than just the highest bidder.

fernandopartridge

He has been brilliant over the last two years but no doubt he owes a lot to the club with MR and AV showing faith in him and bending the style to suit. The interview shows a huge lack of class and some immaturity to me. If I was MR I'd be on the blower telling him to reign it in before he gets himself a fine.

It doesn't at all - he was asked a direct question which was whether the fee was too high. His immediate answer was that it's down to the interested club.

It's embarrassing that anybody believes that an employee owes its employer for anything. We've gained as much as he has from his time at the club and are shortly likely to gain a significant transfer profit.

NorthernWisdom

It's worth noting that the beginning of the season just gone, people seemed content that £10mil-£15mil was a decent fee for him.

So £17mil+ add-ons isn't that bad, in that respect...

Don't get me wrong, I think he's worth £20mil all day long... and still might be! But it's not like he's going to go for £10mil, we hope!

bigfatronssba

It doesn't at all - he was asked a direct question which was whether the fee was too high. His immediate answer was that it's down to the interested club.

It's embarrassing that anybody believes that an employee owes its employer for anything. We've gained as much as he has from his time at the club and are shortly likely to gain a significant transfer profit.

Equally so is it not embarrassing to think an employer should concern itself with the future happiness of an employee that is leaving?

NorthernWisdom

Equally so is it not embarrassing to think an employer should concern itself with the future happiness of an employee that is leaving?
If you want to get compensation for them leaving, it might be as well to pay them passing heed at least! Also in terms of signing future players - showing there's a pathway to career progression is no bad thing when making us more appealing than Millwall.

skyblu3sk

I'm sorry but that's arse gravy if I said something out of line in the media I'd expect to be up in front of my boss the next day. Its in my contract. He could have simply said I'm not going to be drawn on it. We have gained a lot from Vik but for him to play the victim card is frankly embarrassing and I expected more from him. No one forced him to sign his contract.

steve cooper

Not to me.

He's an extremely sought after player. Taking the first offer is absolutely dog shit business. It is obviously too soon to say of course, but I'll be pissed off if that is the case.
I still think he will go for £20M+. Possibly to West Ham.
I admit to finding it a bit amusing when I think of all the people who said his value is diminishing by the day due to only having 1 year left on his contract

bigfatronssba

If you want to get compensation for them leaving, it might be as well to pay them passing heed at least! Also in terms of signing future players - showing there's a pathway to career progression is no bad thing when making us more appealing than Millwall.
Equally so, if you let a departing player dictate all the terms, to the detriment of the club, are you not showing that you have no ambition?

This was the problem we had for years. If the owners/board demonstrate an indifference to the club on the pitch, why should we expect the players to care?

NorthernWisdom

Equally so, if you let a departing player dictate all the terms, to the detriment of the club, are you not showing that you have no ambition?

This was the problem we had for years. If the owners/board demonstrate an indifference to the club on the pitch, why should we expect the players to care?
Surely it depends where it ends up though? There's nothing in there that says he's demanding to be let go for £50k. Equally, the club might be asking for £250mil for all we know!

Saying 'I hope they remember I'm a human being when it comes to my next move' isn't an out of this world statement, and any club worth their salt would do well to remember that.

Garlana86

We need to cash in sooner rather than later, not saying take the first bid but this is inevitable now. We need the money in asap so we can move on and strengthen the squad all over, with all our loans going back and potentially both of our top scorers going we need all the time we can get to find ample replacements...otherwise we'll end up with Troy Deeney up top.

bigfatronssba

Surely it depends where it ends up though? There's nothing in there that says he's demanding to be let go for £50k. Equally, the club might be asking for £250mil for all we know!

Saying 'I hope they remember I'm a human being when it comes to my next move' isn't an out of this world statement, and any club worth their salt would do well to remember that.

I’m purely saying this in the context of the “employee owes their employer nothing” comment.

It can’t all be one way.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

If other clubs are serious about buying him you'd think they'd have submitted a higher bid by now.

I don't really agree with that. Paid transfers are often done at the back end of the window (not suggesting that is ideal for us). I find it very hard to believe the first bid is the only one and we can't do better for a player like Gyökeres. Smacks of tinpot transfer dealing.

Kingokings204

I don't really agree with that. Paid transfers are often done at the back end of the window (not suggesting that is ideal for us). I find it very hard to believe the first bid is the only one and we can't do better for a player like Gyökeres. Smacks of tinpot transfer dealing.

What use is 22m on deadline day though? Got a few million more but have no time to replace

shmmeee

As long as Doug is happy covering the fees up front. Otherwise you lose as much in lost targets and increased fees as you gain.

Get him gone. Another couple of mil isn’t worth the hassle IMO. Let Sporting have him for £17m + sell on. It’s a fair price and the next talented person that we’re after might recognise us as a club that’ll be decent to its players.

NorthernWisdom

Might not be the first bid of course. He says himself he could have left in January, and there wasn't the same fever about bids as there has been this Lisbon one, just offhand rumours. Likewise, we've had offhand rumours about other clubs, so it's feasible they've bid and *they're* who he considers might see our asking price as too high.

Marty

If it is 17mill, I'd expect something like 8 million for Robins to spend. That should just about cover Hamer's new contract for the next month or so.

shmmeee

If it is 17mill, I'd expect something like 8 million for Robins to spend. That should just about cover Hamer's new contract for the next month or so.

£5.1m would go to Brighton is rumours are to be believed, so about £12m left. I think a 50:50 split is fair.

Sky Blue Harry H

The fact we're making a loss is an irrelevance, as he should already have a plan in place to cover that

If it was that easy, you wouldn't have all these clubs in the sh*t, as they are now. I'm sure they all 'had a plan' too, but pretending that £17m of income (or whatever it ends up being) when you are making a loss, is hardly an irrelevance; and if Doug King were to treat it as so, I'd be more than a bit concerned about his ability to run the club.

shmmeee

If it was that easy, you wouldn't have all these clubs in the sh*t, as they are now. I'm sure they all 'had a plan' too, but pretending that £17m of income (or whatever it ends up being) when you are making a loss, is hardly an irrelevance; and if Doug King were to treat it as so, I'd be more than a bit concerned about his ability to run the club.

You can’t run a Championship football club at a profit and if you buy one expecting to more fool you.

Grendel

He purchased a club with clear operational losses - I still don’t see any motive why he purchased it

Sick Boy

If a club really wants a player and is aware that another club has had a bid accepted and is in talks, they're hardly going to sit back and not bother submitting one themselves.

CCFCSteve

If a club really wants a player and is aware that another club has had a bid accepted and is in talks, they're hardly going to sit back and not bother submitting one themselves.

Spot on. If others are genuinely interested it’s time for them to show their hands

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

What use is 22m on deadline day though? Got a few million more but have no time to replace

I really feel like too many people have a very soft attitude towards this. There's a 5 million difference there, we aren't talking about a couple of grand. That difference alone would be more than we have made in players sales for about 5-10 years. People are seeing the 17 million and getting excited but in reality we could get quite a bit more for him. The transfer window isn't even open yet...

We need to maximise the amount of money we get for him as soon as we can do that, but that doesn't just mean accepting what the first club want to bid. Are we seriously of the mindset that no one else would offer more for him? He's one of the most sought after players we have had certainly in my lifetime. They'll be clubs out there that will offer more.

It staggers me that some people are saying we shouldn't pay 20k a week to Hamer, but at the same time are happy to let Gyokeres go for a cut-price deal just so we can play football manager on recruitment over the summer. Play hardball, start a bidding war, and get it wrapped up in as timely fashion as is possible. We know he is going for absolute certainty so there's no excuse to sit there and say we didn't have money to spend. We should be brave and astute, get as much as we can. There's a real tinpot mentality ingrained in some and it needs to change.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

The bid hasn't been accepted yet. The transfer window isn't even open. The bids will come.

What club sells their best player to the first offer on the opening day of the transfer window? It would be amateur.

You're normally the one pointing out the small-mindedness of some of our supporters so this does surprise me.

CCFCSteve

I really feel like too many people have a very soft attitude towards this. There's a 5 million difference there, we aren't talking about a couple of grand. That difference alone would be more than we have made in players sales for about 5-10 years. People are seeing the 17 million and getting excited but in reality we could get quite a bit more for him. The transfer window isn't even open yet...

We need to maximise the amount of money we get for him as soon as we can do that, but that doesn't just mean accepting what the first club want to bid. Are we seriously of the mindset that no one else would offer more for him? He's one of the most sought after players we have had certainly in my lifetime. They'll be clubs out there that will offer more.

It staggers me that some people are saying we shouldn't pay 20k a week to Hamer, but at the same time are happy to let Gyokeres go for a cut-price deal just so we can play football manager on recruitment over the summer. Play hardball, start a bidding war, and get it wrapped up in as timely fashion as is possible. We know he is going for absolute certainty so there's no excuse to sit there and say we didn't have money to spend. We should be brave and astute, get as much as we can. There's a real tinpot mentality ingrained in some and it needs to change.

We can’t sell a player to a club he doesn’t want to go to though. Worst case is he leaves for free after being disgruntled for a season (unlikely). I agree that we shouldn’t sell to first offer* but on the flip side other clubs should move asap if they want him as they know Sporting are pushing to get the deal done. I think the window opens tomorrow so clubs should be getting offers in

*it sounds like we might turned down Sportings first offer

bigfatronssba

So if Vik broke his leg, how would we have covered the losses?

Users who are viewing this thread