Gyokeres (11 Viewers)

mark82

Even Le Tissier: maybe liked being a big fish in a small pond, brilliant player obvs, but didn't exactly break his neck when playing for England, suggesting he wasn't too arsed about it.

Steve Bull might be another example. Sure he could have got a big money move, but preferred it where he was, with that right-winger - Andy something? - putting it on a plate for him every week.

Very different times. Treat yourself and read "The Damned United" if you haven't read it already: great book. The Shankly one is nowhere near as good.
Again, with Bull, in this era would definitely have moved on from Wolves.

alexccfc99

I’ve never felt gyokeres has been in love with CCFC. Always felt we was a stepping stone for him.

We got the best out of him of which I doubt another club will do so let’s hope we get a good fee and move on asap.
Think you’d be surprised how few footballer ‘love’ the club they play for - I don’t love my employer and I’d drop them at the snap of a finger for a bigger salary

Put the matter to bed, wish him luck and look to the future - I’m not letting it ruin two years of memories and good goals and I’ll wish him luck

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

Keane was a done deal with Inter (as long as they were impressed with his Premier Lg performances) the moment we signed him.
They did after all put up half the 6 million signing fee.

Inter paid half the fee for us to sign him from Wolves? I'd always thought it was GR that bought him? Was it at this time that we announced that 'partnership' or feeder type arrangement with them that never seemed to result in anything for us?

Johnnythespider

Yeah that's his perspective, surely he can understand why we need to get the best fee that we can? Would he honestly expect us to accept low bids just because he fancies it?
I'm sure he doesn't, but there is a lot of difference between £17 million and £30 million

Grendel

Again, with Bull, in this era would definitely have moved on from Wolves.

well he turned us down for a much higher wage

Happy_Martian

Geez, this forum flip-flops in opinion quicker than butter melts in this current heatwave. Before 11am today and it's his agent stirring shit up. And by 5pm, it's all Vik's fault, the Judas wannabe. F' him this way and that. Bin him out of the club. Who's organising the flaming torches and pitchforks ?

Hold that thought.... How much of that Swedish interview was Vik's own words and how much was his agent ? Or the journalist ? Is this magazine/newpaper/website the Swedish version of the Guardian or is it The Sun or CoventryLive ? That "£17mill is too much" is certainly an ideal soundbite worthy of a clickbait title.

Players do this. Dublin did it, Bellamy did. Even McNulty did to an extent.

As much as we wish it, Coventry City is not the best team in the world so players will always want to move on and improve. So thank him for the last 2 1/2 years, allow MR to make the best decision for the club and if Vik goes, think how we'll spend the cash and on whom.

Rant over (and I've just seen Earlsdon's steady response above :ROFLMAO: )

cooperskyblue

I actually take what he had said as actually very positive that King isn't going to just accept any low ball offer and that we are finally going to stand our ground and get the fee we want. Which makes a great change from previous sales.

Vik is a very blunt speaker so think everything he says will sound slightly pointed & blunt.
I don't think anyone seriously thought he was saying so it's not anything groundbreaking.

Actually quite excited at the prospect of getting a big fee and building a stronger squad.

CCFC54321

I've seen the interview in Swedish and as per usual the CET have gone with the sensationalist angle to get the most reaction.

What he's saying is that he wants to be sold to a team he would like to play at, not just the one that pays the most. It seems that Sporting have offered him a 5 year contract but are willing to pay up to about 20 million euros (17 million pounds). He doesn't know if that will match the estimation from the club, but said he could have left in January and didn't. He is hoping that the goodwill from that can mean that CCFC sell him to the club that he wants to go to, for the benefit of his career.

I don't see how any of that is really shocking or counts as betrayal. From his perspective of course he is going to prefer to play at Sporting every week, versus sitting on the bench at a mid-to-high PL club. I suspect Sporting won't be willing to pay as much as one of them though, and he knows that too, so his comments about the price being high are hardly unfair either.

That being said, we should honour that goodwill, but not at a stupid expense. We aren't a charity. I would be looking to squeeze the most out of Sporting. If they are willing to up it to more like 20 million pounds then that might have legs, but a bidding war needs to be instigated to sort it out. If West Ham (or insert any other linked club) would be willing to pay 30 million, then the goodwill goes out the window as far as I'm concerned. You can't just take the first offer in a situation like this, and I really hope the club are smart about it. At least, I certainly hope they don't take the advice of many on here which seems to be to take a potential cut price value. He is extremely well sought-after and that shouldn't be undervalued. We should be looking to get the absolute most from this.
I don’t disagree with you but why didn’t gyokeres when asked the question reply with “I love women and beef burgers” or anything else that makes no sense rather then give the journalist what they wanted. He must of known surely that it would kick off a stir back in Coventry unless it was calculated?

Grendel

The difference between a Championship wage Vs Premier League wage now is much, much bigger than it was then. Do you think he'd be turning down 100k/week for 10k/week to stay loyal?

Well hamer will it seems as he loves the club

SBT

Yes I have never seen him give any impression of loving the club and frankly why should he? Football is a short career and most players want to play at the highest level they can and earn the most they can.
There are plenty of players who at least give the impression of having a connection to a club, or its fans, or even just being grateful for the opportunity they’ve been given here. I’ll generally wish those players well when they move on. Vik, however, is clearly not one of those. I’ll certainly miss his goals; don’t really care how his career goes from here.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I don’t disagree with you but why didn’t gyokeres when asked the question reply with “I love women and beef burgers” or anything else that makes no sense rather then give the journalist what they wanted. He must of known surely that it would kick off a stir back in Coventry unless it was calculated?

In fairness the journalist came at him with some pretty quick questions but it doesn't translate anywhere near as bad as you think it does. Swedish is very direct (they don't even have a word for please) so niceties aren't really something that happen very often. He mentioned some good things about the club at the beginning of the interview which isn't in the transcript, and of course the CET didn't pick up on.

He's going to leave, everyone knows it, including him. He has an opportunity to say something that might help him get to live and play in Portugal, rather than live in a bus stop in Hounslow and sit on the bench somewhere. I don't blame him for using that moment to say what he really thinks. I honestly don't think it is anywhere near as bad as some people are interpreting it.

fernandopartridge

I've seen the interview in Swedish and as per usual the CET have gone with the sensationalist angle to get the most reaction.

What he's saying is that he wants to be sold to a team he would like to play at, not just the one that pays the most. It seems that Sporting have offered him a 5 year contract but are willing to pay up to about 20 million euros (17 million pounds). He doesn't know if that will match the estimation from the club, but said he could have left in January and didn't. He is hoping that the goodwill from that can mean that CCFC sell him to the club that he wants to go to, for the benefit of his career.

I don't see how any of that is really shocking or counts as betrayal. From his perspective of course he is going to prefer to play at Sporting every week, versus sitting on the bench at a mid-to-high PL club. I suspect Sporting won't be willing to pay as much as one of them though, and he knows that too, so his comments about the price being high are hardly unfair either.

That being said, we should honour that goodwill, but not at a stupid expense. We aren't a charity. I would be looking to squeeze the most out of Sporting. If they are willing to up it to more like 20 million pounds then that might have legs, but a bidding war needs to be instigated to sort it out. If West Ham (or insert any other linked club) would be willing to pay 30 million, then the goodwill goes out the window as far as I'm concerned. You can't just take the first offer in a situation like this, and I really hope the club are smart about it. At least, I certainly hope they don't take the advice of many on here which seems to be to take a potential cut price value. He is extremely well sought-after and that shouldn't be undervalued. We should be looking to get the absolute most from this.
If I was him I'd look at it as the perfect move, great city. Big European club (rather go there than fucking Brentford), Champions League football possible.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

wingy

There are plenty of players who at least give the impression of having a connection to a club, or its fans, or even just being grateful for the opportunity they’ve been given here. I’ll generally wish those players well when they move on. Vik, however, is clearly not one of those. I’ll certainly miss his goals; don’t really care how his career goes from here.
I do.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

If I was him I'd look at it as the perfect move, great city. Big European club (rather go there than fucking Brentford), Champions League football possible.

You might well be right, I guess he knows how he feels and what he wants. He said in the interview (regarding the Sporting bid) that it seemed like they really wanted him, which is a massive thing to him. It felt to me like he has his heart set on going there.

fernandopartridge

You might well be right, but I guess he knows how he feels and what he wants. He said in the interview (regarding the Sporting bid) that it seemed like they really wanted him, which is a massive thing to him. It felt to me like he has his heart set on going there.
Yeah, and worth remembering that he felt aggrieved to sit in the reserves at Brighton. He's the main man here he will want that to continue.

TomRad85

Bonkers that anyone would actually want to play for Brentford over Sporting. Quite a few think that would be a better move though. Can't knock the marketing behind the Premier League that's for sure.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

alexccfc99

The same people slating Gyokëres are probably the same people who embarrassingly rim so called Cov kid Maddison who completely downed tools for us and went on to sign for our biggest rivals

CCFCSteve

I actually take what he had said as actually very positive that King isn't going to just accept any low ball offer and that we are finally going to stand our ground and get the fee we want. Which makes a great change from previous sales.

Vik is a very blunt speaker so think everything he says will sound slightly pointed & blunt.
I don't think anyone seriously thought he was saying so it's not anything groundbreaking.

Actually quite excited at the prospect of getting a big fee and building a stronger squad.

Agree that he’s very much a straight talker. Never particularly sounds happy etc. wouldn’t read too much into it

As you say, good that we are hopefully trying to stand our ground and squeeze best fee possible, let’s hope we can do it

CDK

Geez, this forum flip-flops in opinion quicker than butter melts in this current heatwave. Before 11am today and it's his agent stirring shit up. And by 5pm, it's all Vik's fault, the Judas wannabe. F' him this way and that. Bin him out of the club. Who's organising the flaming torches and pitchforks ?

Hold that thought.... How much of that Swedish interview was Vik's own words and how much was his agent ? Or the journalist ? Is this magazine/newpaper/website the Swedish version of the Guardian or is it The Sun or CoventryLive ? That "£17mill is too much" is certainly an ideal soundbite worthy of a clickbait title.

Players do this. Dublin did it, Bellamy did. Even McNulty did to an extent.

As much as we wish it, Coventry City is not the best team in the world so players will always want to move on and improve. So thank him for the last 2 1/2 years, allow MR to make the best decision for the club and if Vik goes, think how we'll spend the cash and on whom.

Rant over (and I've just seen Earlsdon's steady response above :ROFLMAO: )
Remember when Dublin did it a knife through the heart him going to shit in brum it affected my mood for months,these days use to it.had a conversation today with a steward today remarking on man city team,you can bet 18 months down the line they will have or been moved on and fans idolising other players.
So vik thanks for the couple of seasons.to robins get as much as you can.

alexccfc99

Remember when Dublin did it a knife through the heart him going to shit in brum it affected my mood for months,these days use to it.had a conversation today with a steward today remarking on man city team,you can bet 18 months down the line they will have or been moved on and fans idolising other players.
So vik thanks for the couple of seasons.to robins get as much as you can.
The last time I was genuinely upset to lose a player was when we sold McSheffrey to brum and that is because I was six years old

SkyBlueScottie

Much prefer him to go abroad. Out of sight, out of mind. Does he love the club like we do? Probably not, has he loved his time here? Probably. After all he has played, scored loads, and we have sung his name every week.

Users who are viewing this thread