Match Thread Coventry City - Swansea City Match Thread - Friday 29th Dec (3 Viewers)

shmmeee

Anyway I predicted two points from this and the next two, just feel like a kick in the teeth to throw a win against Swansea away again. Beat Boro and all is forgiven. Leicester is a gimme.

Mucca Mad Boys

It was very telling today that every time one of our midfielders or wide players looked up Godden wasn’t a credible option. He can’t run behind, difficult to hit with a cross given his relative height compared to central defender, and he struggles to keep up with play when we break with pace.

I don’t doubt the guy can finish but his all round contribution is no longer the right fit for us.

That stems from Allen, Sheaf and even Eccles passing range. The passes out wide are safer bets for them - it's a good job we have MVE, Saka, Wright and Bidwell in those wide spaces.

shepardo01

Happy to blame sheaf for the bits he gets wrong
Not much tonight and lots right
Allen was so poor and got an assist for Swansea
Just catching up so not read prior posts,
If I remember rightly, Sheaf was dropped right in the shit by Binks trying to cushion a header down rather than heading clear....!??.... At the time I was frustrated by the header. ...
Edit .. reading through, looks like it was Thomas with the header that dropped us in the shit...

pusbccfc

Godden is out of form but let's look at Simms his best performance arguably at Leeds.. saka and wright playing off him but even then we rarely get the ball to their feet inside the box , it's almost like we're asking the central strikers to either create for themselves or feed of scraps

Godden isn't going to work in the current system.

A key part of our play is pumping into the channels for Saka and Wright. Godden hasn't got the pace.

shmmeee

Anyway I predicted two points from this and the next two, just feel like a kick in the teeth to throw a win against Swansea away again. Beat Boro and all is forgiven. Leicester is a gimme.

Also think now we’ve navigated the last few well see a full strength team at Boro, rotation V Oxford, then pretty much full strength for the rest of the season. Only two midweek games and Easter weekend left without a significant break I think.

Great_Expectations

The Sheaf thing is getting a bit mental, it’s going full 180;

We signed him on a perm and there was uproar; not good enough etc etc -> people start to realise he’s class and his popularity increases -> he’s now too popular and has a ‘cult’ so to counter that an anti cult is developing.

Madness.

He’s a key player for us who is prone to the odd mistake (not today), but if he wasn’t he’d have been snapped up by now. We’re fortunate to have him, and alongside Hamer#2 we’ll see him step up again.

Mucca Mad Boys

I've read the reports from Sky and the Telegraph and note the description of the first goal:

"City fell behind when a mistake by Jamie Allen was seized upon by former Sky Blues loan star Liam Walsh"

slowpoke

Although I didn’t blame Allen 100% for the opening goal there was poor player front Sheaf I’m not an Allen knocker like some but this was the worst game I’ve seen him play for us, just no end product.

SBT

I don't care how tired Bidwell, COH, MVE, Saka, Lati and today's version of Palmer are, but they have to play 90 mins. No rest allowed because we don't have ideal replacements. Godden, Allen, JDS need to find new teams. Sheaf makes suicidal mistakes that really get on my nerves, If we find a better version of him, I'd be tempted to get rid.
1703892822812.gif

wingy

We'll do them, don't know how but we'll do them.

Evo1883

I know simms scored , but let's be honest he pretty much stole it 🤣🤣

But back to the central strikers performances... godden had hardly any touches .. simms also only had 3 touches in 35 minutes .

What's the deal ? Surely the strikers can't flourish like this no matter who it is

shmmeee

I know simms scored , but let's be honest he pretty much stole it 🤣🤣

But back to the central strikers performances... godden had hardly any touches .. simms also only had 3 touches in 35 minutes .

What's the deal ? Surely the strikers can't flourish like this no matter who it is

Our main strikers (Godden and Simms) averaged a touch every ten minutes IIRC. Vik aside, and he basically took anything in the final third within ten yards of him and turned it into a chance, we’ve never really had strikers do consistently well. Even Godden has always had spells out so hasn’t hit 20+. I do think it’s something about the system. And maybe we need another type of player who isn’t all about goals but brings others in and occupies CBs more than the ones we’ve got.

MikeyMoo

There does seem to be a problem with central striker. With Gyokeres we played on the counter, no? So, when was the last time we tried to play 433 (or variant) possession football with a successful central striker?

Evo1883

Our main strikers (Godden and Simms) averaged a touch every ten minutes IIRC. Vik aside, and he basically took anything in the final third within ten yards of him and turned it into a chance, we’ve never really had strikers do consistently well. Even Godden has always had spells out so hasn’t hit 20+. I do think it’s something about the system. And maybe we need another type of player who isn’t all about goals but brings others in and occupies CBs more than the ones we’ve got.
This is the view of a proffesional player / fan

stupot07

Just watched the goal back, he’s stretching to cut the pass out that’s behind him, I’m not sure trusting your CM partner with the ball is the unforgivable crime people are making out even if he could have done better. The fuck up was Allen’s. Robins clearly doesn’t want us to “clear it to row Z” as someone said.

Free kick was right in front of me and looked a dive TBH, but again Collins has to take the blame.
Yeah I'm not sure what Sheaf cold have done for the first, he's come into it, facing his own goal, the ball is behind him. He passes It to Allen who then gets it under control before losing it.

I've not seen the foul back, but it looked like a dive to me.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

fernandopartridge

I wonder whether Bidwell is off in January?! Can't understand how he has been dropped in the first place, let alone be left on the bench. Binks did okay but without Kitching and Bidwell there was a lack of physicality. Swansea knew that and targeted it.
He was poor on boxing day and has played a run of games in quick succession after not having played much at all, nothing to read in to it

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Gynnsthetonic

So disappointed, could of been 3 points off 6th, don't know why Palmer was taken off so early, Simms waste of money should of bought Eccles on for Sheaf, the free kick was poor defending all round. Oh well!

SkyBlueAussie

Realistically there are only 3 players that have been feeding the front line of late, Bidwell, O'Hare and Tatsu.
2 didn't start today and they left Wright too far out on the left wing (so we didn't have a front line). Obviously he can't feed himself, and as Godden or Simms are just passengers (my point of view) we had to rely on luck. And anyone who has watched the Sky Blues for 55 years or so like me knows we have seen this movie before.

Martin180

Realistically there are only 3 players that have been feeding the front line of late, Bidwell, O'Hare and Tatsu.
2 didn't start today and they left Wright too far out on the left wing (so we didn't have a front line). Obviously he can't feed himself, and as Godden or Simms are just passengers (my point of view) we had to rely on luck. And anyone who has watched the Sky Blues for 55 years or so like me knows we have seen this movie before.
Bidwell feeds the front line ?
And Wright is playing as a left sided wide forward, you know that right ?

SkyBlueAussie

They were questions rather than agreeing with you
Yes, I know that Martin. Let me elaborate. To me Bidwell gets quite far up when allowed, and will generally try to get crosses in. Today, Wright was asked to play too far to the left (more of a left winger than an inside left) and so we had no one but Godden in the middle. My perception only mate.

Martin180

Yes, I know that Martin. Let me elaborate. To me Bidwell gets quite far up when allowed, and will generally try to get crosses in. Today, Wright was asked to play too far to the left (more of a left winger than an inside left) and so we had no one but Godden in the middle. My perception only mate.
Ok fair enough but I wouldn't put Bidwell as our third best creative player but get what you are saying . Personally I think Wright loves cutting in off the flank, he has done it too great effect the last few games.
Only criticism I have is we still need to play it to him quicker

SkyBlueAussie

Ok fair enough but I wouldn't put Bidwell as our third best creative player but get what you are saying . Personally I think Wright loves cutting in off the flank, he has done it too great effect the last few games.
Only criticism I have is we still need to play it to him quicker
He missed O'Hare today.

Users who are viewing this thread