Match Thread Coventry City - Swansea City Match Thread - Friday 29th Dec (1 Viewer)

wingy

Has Burroughs been available on both sides before, get him back?

skyblu3sk

No risk of offside at all, he was always behind Haji

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I may be being harsh I just found it an unnecessary thing to do but I guess in the heat of the game it may feel different. I think Sims will come good too I'm not doubting that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231230-075849~2.png
    Screenshot_20231230-075849~2.png
    394.3 KB · Views: 29

TomRad85

I don't really like doing ratings so I'll just chuck some thoughts on certain individuals, good and bad, in here...
Good:
Wright - just gets better every game, the fact we still have 'haters' on here is ridiculous. Dealing with him and Sakamoto as wide forwards must be a nightmare.
Thomas - marshaled a make shift defence brilliantly I thought. Hopeless header at the end but tbf a couple more errors followed for that to get in the net.
Palmer- this is the Palmer we wanted from the start. Strong, aggressive, good feet, a constant threat. Long may it continue.

Bad:
Godden - been a thing on here for a while that if he doesn't score he's not doing anything. As true as ever this season, and now he's not scoring he's pointless. Completely invisible.
Dasilva - unlike some I thought he was ok as a LWB. Bidwell had some rubbish performances earlier in the season which gets forgotten but as a LB, I mean, you just want Bidwell there every week don't you. Dasilva targeted constantly.
Allen - always thought he's better further forward, too often looks like a lost child when he plays in that middle 2. With the return of O'Hare and the continued improvement of Palmer I'm unsure when these leaves Allen tbh. First Swansea goal was an absolutely horrendous error from him.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

TomRad85

Upon reflection its been a great 10 game period for us .. 19 points from the last 10 and a fantastic festive period ..
You're right of course but as an individual game it's difficult not to be disappointed. Staying 3 points from play offs would have felt nice. Tough game vs Boro, let's hope Robins has a plan to deal with them again.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

skyblu3sk

If it had hit the post and he hadn't followed in his career would be over with the abuse he would have got on here.
1000005694.png
I just thought looking at this angle it's pretty easy to see. I get the differing views though and the fact I could be being harsh. I just see potential off sides or toe poking it over the bar which would kill his career here more.

Deity

This is the view of a proffesional player / fan

I do think our strikers are struggling to adapt to our new system and style of play but Simms has the attributes to make that transition.

I don’t think the system explains Goddens ineffectiveness. He was the same for much of last season when we played a very different way.

BlueSkiesForever

So disappointed with the 2 points lost last night. I was right next to the Swansea fans, literally the last seat on that row and the walk back down the stadium at full time was sort of painful, all the Swansea fans going mental (for some reason), seeing the points slip away like that after one mistake was gutting.

I’ve said it time and time and time again on here but we’ve got to stop passing it sideways in a horseshoe shape all the time. Yes Swansea defended okay but we should have been creating more chances than that and putting the ones we did have away. There was no midfield threat and no one in space to pick out going forwards. I don’t know if it was players or management tactics but something didn’t click last night. One game poor in 8-9 I suppose so it’s not all doom and gloom, just wish we created more clinical one-on-one’s and took our chances better.

Astute

I do think our strikers are struggling to adapt to our new system and style of play but Simms has the attributes to make that transition.

I don’t think the system explains Goddens ineffectiveness. He was the same for much of last season when we played a very different way.
Attacking quickly on the break is exactly why Godden looks so poor. He hasn't got the legs for it. He is a box predator not a player who takes others on.

Evo1883

Attacking quickly on the break is exactly why Godden looks so poor. He hasn't got the legs for it. He is a box predator not a player who takes others on.

We have 2 strikers , both different types of players , both struggling to impact matches .. both having minimal touches , neither being used to link , both not recieving the ball in the box to feet

Maybe this system need a juke type forward? We get some great crosses in tbh

Astute

We have 2 strikers , both different types of players , both struggling to impact matches .. both having minimal touches , neither being used to link , both not recieving the ball in the box to feet

Maybe this system need a juke type forward? We get some great crosses in tbh
1 doesn't get the game time. The other is too slow for our present style of play.

What we need to do is rest Godden. Give game time to Simms. He will improve given time. Just like Wright has.

NorthernWisdom

Allen - always thought he's better further forward, too often looks like a lost child when he plays in that middle 2. With the return of O'Hare and the continued improvement of Palmer I'm unsure when these leaves Allen tbh. First Swansea goal was an absolutely horrendous error from him.
He's never been a favourite on here, but people are as quick to forget that him coming back actually improved us earlier in the season, boosted our tempo, and got us playing as more of a cohesive unit. I get the point about role but...

It's a bit like Kitching is rubbish, why did we sign him because he didn't play, or why did we sign Binks, he hasn't played the first couple of matches of the season. He definitely has a place, links midfield better than many, and tracks back better than many too along with always offering an option. A bad game doesn't change that, and overall his contribution over the past season and a half has dwarfed (pun intended!) Palmer, so let's not get ahead of ourselves in declaring who's finished and who isn't, plenty of twists and turns to come. Someone (not you!) saying flat out that Allen shouldn't start is definitely them looking for a new scapegoat, a new fall guy.

Evo1883

1 doesn't get the game time. The other is too slow for our present style of play.

What we need to do is rest Godden. Give game time to Simms. He will improve given time. Just like Wright has.
I'm not sure it's that simple , wright is playing a position and style that suits him.

Some forwards DONT get better with game time

Gynnsthetonic

Nope still utterly peed off still. Soft free kick, shit wall, shit goalkeeping, should of saw the game out and be sitting 8th 3 points off the play offs, ruined my weekend buts that's us unfortunately 😒

robbiekeane

View attachment 33032
I just thought looking at this angle it's pretty easy to see. I get the differing views though and the fact I could be being harsh. I just see potential off sides or toe poking it over the bar which would kill his career here more.
To be fair mate that angle doesn’t show anything it’s not going straight towards the goal. Obviously it was going in though im not disputing that.

Strikers love scoring goals. Simms is desperate to score goals, and he didn’t know if there was a player right behind him or whatever. Right thing to do and I’d do it the same way myself a million times over lol

SkyBlue_Bear83

I'm not sure it's that simple , wright is playing a position and style that suits him.

We've paid out so much money on him surely we have to give him the game time to see if he can get better and develop.

Godden was abysmal last night, didn't think it was possible but Simms was worse when he came on.

He didn't do it last night but at least you would think Simms has the attributes to match the defenders physically if he applies himself correctly.

slowpoke

We've paid out so much money on him surely we have to give him the game time to see if he can get better and develop.

Godden was abysmal last night, didn't think it was possible but Simms was worse when he came on.

He didn't do it last night but at least you would think Simms has the attributes to match the defenders physically if he applies himself correctly.
But he’s not doing it consistently and yes we paid good money for him and he will be on a good contract but talking money how much is made from promotion dwarfs his bit.
Yesterday annoys me more today, With Wright playing wider we need another striker maybe two as Godden ain’t pulling up trees.
The one positive from yesterday is the transfer window is here and with the FA Cup 3rd round Robins, Doug King whoever have two weeks to sort it before the league starts again.

MalcSB

He’s not a striker. These are professional footballers that spend years honing a craft and becoming experts in a position. Assuming that a player who has never ever played as a striker will somehow miraculously be better at it than players who play there week in week out is just stupid.

‘He’s got the build’ tells me everything I need to know about this ridiculous statement what ‘build?’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I well remember the diminutive Scottish international midfielder Willie Carr scoring a hat trick against West Brom when played at centre forward. Mind you, that was well before the Premier League and Sky so probably doesn’t count.

skyblu3sk

To be fair mate that angle doesn’t show anything it’s not going straight towards the goal. Obviously it was going in though im not disputing that.

Strikers love scoring goals. Simms is desperate to score goals, and he didn’t know if there was a player right behind him or whatever. Right thing to do and I’d do it the same way myself a million times over lol
Fair enough! I'm obviously being harsh but id be pissed off if I was wright. They did a freeze of when he touched the ball and it's half way over the line. Thought Wright deserved a brace.

steve101

Simms has similar attributes to Wright. Both can strike the ball well and both are quick. Wright's first touch is probably a bit better. Both are not showing enough strength on the ball or in the air.
The difference is that playing on the left, Wright is coming up against less physical and shorter defenders and his confidence is up.
When Simms has moved to the right side he has shown he can go past players.
I imagine in the summer there will be a lot of strength work going on for the pair of them.

Hertsccfc

Simms has similar attributes to Wright. Both can strike the ball well and both are quick. Wright's first touch is probably a bit better. Both are not showing enough strength on the ball or in the air.
The difference is that playing on the left, Wright is coming up against less physical and shorter defenders and his confidence is up.
When Simms has moved to the right side he has shown he can go past players.
I imagine in the summer there will be a lot of strength work going on for the pair of them.
I don't think their attributes are at all similar. Wright is much faster and his first touch is usually far superior. He can beat players with speed or skill. Simms first touch is often really poor.

I must admit I am not sure what Simms' strengths are. I hope it will become apparent in due course. Sometimes really unremarkable players turn out to be effective but I think we will be waiting a long time for this to happen, which is why we need someone else for now.

Astute

Of course some don't. But he is still young and they know what they're doing at the club. Look at Gyokeres. The normal suspects called him a waste of 1m and couldn't understand why we bought him. Time on the training ground and game time made him into a beast. Hamer went from a liability to something special.

robbiekeane

Fair enough! I'm obviously being harsh but id be pissed off if I was wright. They did a freeze of when he touched the ball and it's half way over the line. Thought Wright deserved a brace.
Yeh I’d also be fucking fuming if I was Wright 😂 Still can’t blame simms though IMO nature of the beast!

Users who are viewing this thread