Match Thread Coventry City - Swansea City Match Thread - Friday 29th Dec (1 Viewer)

CCFCSteve

That header at the end, Thomas? What was he doing?

Ah well, one of those. Frustrating as I can't see us taking much from the next two, but no need to overreact. We move on.

Tried to lay off the header rather than just launching it 🤦‍♂️ Some poor decision making by a few players in our final third all game. Missed Kitchings leadership. Saying that deserved the three points. Let’s hope we can nick something at boro to keep things rolling

shmmeee

Thought Thomas was excellent but made a poor header downwards and in field - just clear it. Sheaf was excellent but was partly at fault for first goal when he could have cleared and then needless freekick conceded.

It's not is it Pete

Just watched the goal back, he’s stretching to cut the pass out that’s behind him, I’m not sure trusting your CM partner with the ball is the unforgivable crime people are making out even if he could have done better. The fuck up was Allen’s. Robins clearly doesn’t want us to “clear it to row Z” as someone said.

Free kick was right in front of me and looked a dive TBH, but again Collins has to take the blame.

Sky Blue Pete

It's not is it Pete
Absolutely is Allen completely at fault for first
Sheaf may have given free kick away but he was fabulous all game
Looking for ways to demean our captain is utterly bizarre
Collins should have covered that side far more at fault than sheaf if Cullen hits the top right yoh applaud if he hits low to your side you save it

good free kick though
Should have been out of sight and could have brought Bidwell and eccles on to slow everything down during added time

Evo1883

Perhaps Evo, but both players do seem out of sorts beyond some issue with the tactics.

Godden is out of form but let's look at Simms his best performance arguably at Leeds.. saka and wright playing off him but even then we rarely get the ball to their feet inside the box , it's almost like we're asking the central strikers to either create for themselves or feed of scraps

SeaSeeEffCee

Keep this team together next year we have a very good chance of going up automatically (if we don't scrape playoffs this year). Ipswich are no better than we are.
Doubt it, we’ll just get more teams coming down with parachute payments who will walk the league again next year. Even Ipswich are getting caught now.

Evo1883

Yeah people wouldn’t have been ignoring glaring errors from other players to have a go for a start.

I think several players have been thoroughly criticised tonight , the problem usually occurs when people criticise sheaf

Astute

First goal was really poor from a number of players.
2nd goal was between the ref and lack of organisation of the defence. Said to my little boy it was going to be a goal. You could see the big gap left. A keeper should set the wall to cover half the goal and protect the other half. Half the goal was covered but Collins was left unsighted. The 2nd goal was a mix of the ref getting it wrong then not setting the defence up correctly. I like to set my defence up with an extra defender to one side. Then I make sure I can see the other half. Curl it around my extra defender or dip it over my.wall and you score. But even the top players don't find it easy.

Evo1883

Just watched the goal back, he’s stretching to cut the pass out that’s behind him, I’m not sure trusting your CM partner with the ball is the unforgivable crime people are making out even if he could have done better. The fuck up was Allen’s. Robins clearly doesn’t want us to “clear it to row Z” as someone said.

Free kick was right in front of me and looked a dive TBH, but again Collins has to take the blame.
Not Thomas for heading inside or sheaf for touching the player to give the ref a decision in the 93rd ?

shmmeee

I think several players have been thoroughly criticised tonight , the problem usually occurs when people criticise sheaf

Criticise him for what he does wrong, you can’t blame him for either goal today and if you can it’s along with several others who get let off. It’s like the other season when people blamed a goal on him because he gave the ball away about fifteen passes from our goal.

Evo1883

Criticise him for what he does wrong, you can’t blame him for either goal today and if you can it’s along with several others who get let off. It’s like the other season when people blamed a goal on him because he gave the ball away about fifteen passes from our goal.

He literally gave away the free kick we conceded on the edge of the area .. it's mental to suggest he played no part in their goal

Brighton Sky Blue

From my perspective it was a really clumsy and daft challenge to make in that position on 93 minutes.

SBAndy

Yeah I’m not having that the first goal is on anyone but Allen. Yes, Sheaf’s ‘pass’ (if you can call it that) isn’t quite to feet but Allen has enough time to stretch for it, bring it back towards him, then just freeze.

clint van damme

Thought Allen was culpable for the first goal, watched it back, Sheaf has some responsibility, though Allen must shoulder most the blame.

Chris1987

Shit happens. Ultimately 2 bad decisions from Sheaf who otherwise had a good game have cost us. Simple errors need to be eradicated. Da Silva is not good enough to be LB in a back 4 , that is patently obvious. The pluses were Haji & Thomas who were very good as was Palmer. Time for Godden to move on .

Astute

Doubt it, we’ll just get more teams coming down with parachute payments who will walk the league again next year. Even Ipswich are getting caught now.
I said ages ago that Ipswich would be caught. Their big advantage was having a squad that knew each other. Now other sides are up to speed they will overtake them. But whatever happens they will have had a great season.

shmmeee

Thought Allen was culpable for the first goal, watched it back, Sheaf has some responsibility, though Allen must shoulder most the blame.

I can only assume people wanted Sheaf not to try and intercept the ball? Allen did what he always does and dawdled and showed no strength. He’s not a CM as long as I’ve got a hole in my arse and was generally dreadful tonight but the discourse is about Sheaf. Who generally played well, scoring as one of our highest players, making twice as many key passes as anyone else on the team with the highest passing accuracy rate. But no he should have toepoked it into row Z or let a player run through out defence instead of challenging him or something.

It’s the same people every time.

Brighton Sky Blue

I can only assume people wanted Sheaf not to try and intercept the ball? Allen did what he always does and dawdled and showed no strength. He’s not a CM as long as I’ve got a hole in my arse and was generally dreadful tonight but the discourse is about Sheaf. Who generally played well, scoring as one of our highest players, making twice as many key passes as anyone else on the team with the highest passing accuracy rate. But no he should have toepoked it into row Z or let a player run through out defence instead of challenging him or something.

It isn’t. You are to Allen what ESB is to Sheaf

Mucca Mad Boys

Godden is out of form but let's look at Simms his best performance arguably at Leeds.. saka and wright playing off him but even then we rarely get the ball to their feet inside the box , it's almost like we're asking the central strikers to either create for themselves or feed of scraps

We don't create chances down the middle at all which is why both Godden and Simms don't look great. It's no surprise Wright suddenly looks like twice the player when playing down the left. Today's result, like 4-5 times this season, is that we couldn't maintain control in midfield and we're still missing that Hamer archetype. Specifically, someone who can start counter attacks with direct passes from deep. Likewise, it's games like this that show why we moved to 4-2-3-1 in the first place - more bodies in midfield.

We conceded both goals today because we didn't clear our lines effectively. The first goal Allen was trying to be too cute when he wasn't in control of the ball and the 2nd was period of 2-3m. Overall, what frustrated me was that we seemed to play like we were 2 goals ahead and a bit too complacent.

We clearly are good enough to be in the playoffs because we've threw away a good 8 points from late goals conceded.

Evo1883

Well sure allen was shite , I called it at half time .. but why is it hard for fans to accept that playing an off centre ball 4 yards to a central midfielder inside the box is a shitty thing to do ?? Had allen played the same pass you'd be wetting yourself

Users who are viewing this thread