Match Thread Coventry City - Sheffield Wednesday Match Thread - Tuesday 26th Dec (2 Viewers)

Paxman II

We won 3-0 at Sunderland. 5 Subs were made to 'rest' key players during that game. So the same side starts.
Wednesday have improved but we should be way too good for them. Expecting Simms to get the illusive goal he craves and a few others to chip in for a 4-0 win. Goal difference keeps improving and we keep climbing.

shmmeee

Same team that started against Sunderland, maybe Eccles for Sheaf if he’s not fit. Hopefully comfortable enough by 60 mins to rest a few with games coming thick and fast.

Collins
MvE Thomas Kitching Bidwell
Sheaf/Eccles O’Hare Allen
Saka Simms Wright

Wilson, Dasilva, Lats, Binks, Fadz, Eccles/Kelly, Palmer, Godden, Tavares

SkyblueTexan

This will not be easy. They have improved a lot lately and beat an improving QPR team and were much better than Cardiff and unlucky to lose in Saturday. Think Eccles for Allen (who looked ineffective) and maybe Palmer for Sheaf (if he’s crocked) are changes I may consider.

Covkid1968#

You lot sound far too confident, almost cocky…. I know we are starting to look the part…but it’s worrying me. I hope you are all proved right but we know we always have a nightmare of a game in us.

Chris1987

You lot sound far too confident, almost cocky…. I know we are starting to look the part…but it’s worrying me. I hope you are all proved right but we know we always have a nightmare of a game in us.
I know a lot of Sheff Wed season ticket holders and their opinion is that whilst they've improved they're still not very good. I interpret what's on here more as optimism as opposed to cockiness tbh.

skyblue_55

Lads ….. merry Christmas to all skyblue .
The Sheff Wed fans are talking as this will a hammering, by our resurgent Skyblues.
They are looking at this , as a game they haven’t a cat in hells chance of getting anything & making personnel changes for their “easier “ games coming up .
My team change would be for Simms , as on Saturday again , they were shocked by his lack of anything positive & I really believe he doesn’t fit our club.

Adge

Simms to finally get another goal-it’s been too long…….

procdoc

The onus is on us to break them down, we can’t rely on counter attacking so I think it will be a tight game. I don’t care how we win, three points will really keep the momentum going

Gint11

Some of their fans seem confident which is strange for a team that’s won 4 in 23.

Travs

Why do people go on about the Sheff Weds crowds ? Since they got relegated from the Prem, their attendances have been average, like ours. They have a core away support but most (not all) Champ clubs could say the same. For a ground that holds 39K, these aren't exceptionally high figures.

View attachment 32968

They were getting 20+ in League One more often than not.

Whichever way you spin it, that is "good"

Happy_Martian

They were getting 20+ in League One more often than not.

Whichever way you spin it, that is "good"

Can see what you're saying but I'm just not buying it. Compared to us, it probably could be seen as good but I'd challenge that our fans have been pretty fickle over the years. But SW had 2 seasons down to League 1, both of those ended with them in the playoffs. You've seen how positive results affect our attendances. People are attracted to success. They've been promoted and are back in the Championship. That would mean attendances go up ? Nope, stay at the same levels as their previous time here. Who knows how attendances would react if they'd stayed longer in L1 ? Regrettably, I can't find consistent away figures for their fans but as has been argued before, smaller grounds in L1 would mean reduced away capacity so the figures would be meaningless as a comparison.

Maybe I'm missing something but it seems 20K is their core support and that's it, no matter what league they're in. 50% of their grounds capacity. To my mind, the only time that will change is when big away followings are allowed in.

Chris1987

Why do people go on about the Sheff Weds crowds ? Since they got relegated from the Prem, their attendances have been average, like ours. They have a core away support but most (not all) Champ clubs could say the same. For a ground that holds 39K, these aren't exceptionally high figures.

View attachment 32968

You have to consider the fact that their season tickets and match day tickets are ridiculously expensive in a catchment area where average disposable income isn't that great.

Happy_Martian

Always preferred Wednesday to United

Both are egotistical. Think they're bigger than anyone else. In the same way we could put some Sunderland fans in the same category. Won't throw abuse at the fans but if SU played SW, I'd always support the Ref. 0-0 and 4 sendings off each would be a good result.

Last edited:

Happy_Martian

You have to consider the fact that their season tickets and match day tickets are ridiculously expensive in a catchment area where average disposable income isn't that great.

I could challenge you on some of that but opinions vary and everyone is entitled to their own view. It's becoming obvious that my view is in a very small minority so that's fine. For me, I can't see the reason for the admiration of them and their support. And it's unnecessary to continue the conversation in this direction as we're likely to be disputing it till next Christmas :)

So to change subject - Wensleydale, Stilton or Red Leicester cheese in a sandwich ?

SkyblueTexan

Some of their fans seem confident which is strange for a team that’s won 4 in 23.
Over the last month or so they beat Stoke, beat Blackburn, drew with Leicester and dominated Cardiff and were unlucky to lose on Saturday. Although most of their points were picked up at home, they are exuding a lot more confidence of late. Will not be a walk in the park.

Samo

I could challenge you on some of that but opinions vary and everyone is entitled to their own view. It's becoming obvious that my view is in a very small minority so that's fine. For me, I can't see the reason for the admiration of them and their support. And it's unnecessary to continue the conversation in this direction as we're likely to be disputing it till next Christmas :)

So to change subject - Wensleydale, Stilton or Red Leicester cheese in a sandwich ?

Red Leicester in a sandwich, Wenselydale on a biscuit... Obviously

Happy_Martian

Ashdown

Time to capitalise on some good performances v better opposition….we don’t always do that though ……

Users who are viewing this thread