Match ThreadĀ Coventry City - Maidstone United [FA] Match Thread - Monday 26th Feb (5 Viewers)

Great_Expectations

Few observations;

Kelly was brilliant tonight. Appreciate itā€™s low league opposition but his recycling of the ball was great and as ever his defensive positioning and awareness were on point. Heā€™s not going to make a killer pass or move forward with the ball, but being a constant option and keeping it moving helps create space. He was a great foil for Torp too.

For the first time tonight we (or at least it was for me) saw Simms enjoy camaraderie with the others. At the end of the game they were trying to make him do the first pump routine with MVE. I mean he didnā€™t do it, but thatā€™s the most involved Iā€™ve seen him in post match celebrations and the most engaged with the others. Another indication of his confidence improving?

COH was evidently a class above when he came on, but similar to the PNE game he doesnā€™t seem absolutely on it.

LB position seems to have inherited a curse as Bidwell didnā€™t have one of his better hame today!
Ā 

Ccfcisparks

Few observations;

Kelly was brilliant tonight. Appreciate itā€™s low league opposition but his recycling of the ball was great and as ever his defensive positioning and awareness were on point. Heā€™s not going to make a killer pass or move forward with the ball, but being a constant option and keeping it moving helps create space. He was a great foil for Torp too.

For the first time tonight we (or at least it was for me) saw Simms enjoy camaraderie with the others. At the end of the game they were trying to make him do the first pump routine with MVE. I mean he didnā€™t do it, but thatā€™s the most involved Iā€™ve seen him in post match celebrations and the most engaged with the others. Another indication of his confidence improving?

COH was evidently a class above when he came on, but similar to the PNE game he doesnā€™t seem absolutely on it.

LB position seems to have inherited a curse as Bidwell didnā€™t have one of his better hame today!
Itā€™s clear there is actually a good rapport amongst the players. Iā€™ve heard that Simms and Tatsu have struck up a bit of a bromance. If you notice in the celebrations of tatsuā€™s goa Simms is the most encouraging
Ā 

MikeyMoo

Had to teach tonight. Watched the highlights itā€™s all Liam Kelly, including killer passes. Those who saw it live may tell a different story but he fed Palmer three who fed Simms the three goals and itā€™s his ball for Godden isnā€™t it that sets up Tavares first. Suspect now that Robins has just been sweating over the foot infection and weā€™ll see more of Kelly at least until Sheaf returns.
Ā 

long way home

Barry Fry watching on last night, probably a guest of Doug which might mean McAnthony was genuine when talking about building a relationship with the club.

Could be nothing but im hoping its something that would allow us to bring in Burrows this summer.
Ā 

Flying Fokker

Itā€™s clear there is actually a good rapport amongst the players. Iā€™ve heard that Simms and Tatsu have struck up a bit of a bromance. If you notice in the celebrations of tatsuā€™s goa Simms is the most encouraging
In your head. Grow up.
Ā 

Otis

Barry Fry watching on last night, probably a guest of Doug which might mean McAnthony was genuine when talking about building a relationship with the club.

Could be nothing but im hoping its something that would allow us to bring in Burrows this summer.
Used to manage Maidstone.
Ā 

StrettoBoy

That was a good performance. We have had a few banana skin matches over the years so it's good to see us getting the job done.

Delighted for Simms. His first two were excellent finishes and he showed great awareness for the third.

Kelly did what he always does. A calm and steady performance, barely putting a foot wrong. He will do a good job for us while Sheaf is out.

Nice to see Tavares showing his finishing skills when playing in his natural position. The jury is still out on him but with the injuries he will get more game time. I'm not writing him off yet.
Ā 

Ashdown

Just as an aside, I wondered if anyone else felt that 15/20 mins before kick off the concourses were packed to the point of becoming a bit dangerous. It was difficult to move round internally to get to your block and a bit of a panic could have been nasty. The tannoy started asking people quite urgently to take their seats.
Ā 

wingy

Just as an aside, I wondered if anyone else felt that 15/20 mins before kick off the concourses were packed to the point of becoming a bit dangerous. It was difficult to move round internally to get to your block and a bit of a panic could have been nasty. The tannoy started asking people quite urgently to take their seats.
I get you tbh, they're always like that I think?

Also when I've been going for a smoke at HT there's a party of pink coated individuals going round like a bloody wall of them walking abreast.
Ā 
Last edited:

MalcSB

The queues for food and drink were crazy.
Ā 

chiefdave

The queues for food and drink were crazy.
the service, at least in the only outlet in the west stand, is slow beyond belief. Went there as soon as the half time whistle went, was only a few people in front of me but the 2nd half had started by the time I got served. Best of all the hot food arrived just as I was being served. It's like half time takes them by surprise every game.
Ā 

NWS

Well, that's the cup over for another year for us. Funny to be still watching it in Feb. I used to be grateful if we were still in, in October. Its been a fab time knocking out Barow, Stevenage and, of course, that fabulous day at Ipswich. A more natural order was restored on the pitch last night but our team and club can remain happy and it was enjoyable to share the moment after the game with them. I expect the stewards were bemused by fans leaving smiling and singing after a 5-0 defeat but we can have a lovely connection with our team.

Good luck next round, whoever you get. It was enjoyable to come to the CBS.
Ā 

Essexrobbie

Ive never seen such blatant holding and shirt pulling at corners as there was last night. The ref delayed a corner with the treatment Simms was getting, but even after speaking to the defender, he carried straight on with business as usual. Surely ANY holding of an attacker should result in a penalty? The ref could have picked anyone of three defenders doing it at our corners. Is this an accepted part of the game now even at grass roots level? Im pretty sure in my day if you laid a hand on anyone during a free kick it was a nailed on pen.
Ā 

SBbucks

Ive never seen such blatant holding and shirt pulling at corners as there was last night. The ref delayed a corner with the treatment Simms was getting, but even after speaking to the defender, he carried straight on with business as usual. Surely ANY holding of an attacker should result in a penalty? The ref could have picked anyone of three defenders doing it at our corners. Is this an accepted part of the game now even at grass roots level? Im pretty sure in my day if you laid a hand on anyone during a free kick it was a nailed on pen.

There seems to be an ā€œaccepted levelā€ of shirt pulling and the refs largely turn a blind eye to it as they donā€™t want to be contentious. It should be a penalty every time, but thereā€™s no will in the game to stop it. It should be the easiest thing to get rid of as it is so obvious at all levels (even more so in the PL using VAR).
Ā 

Not NWS

Well, that's the cup over for another year for us. Funny to be still watching it in Feb. I used to be grateful if we were still in, in October. Its been a fab time knocking out Barow, Stevenage and, of course, that fabulous day at Ipswich. A more natural order was restored on the pitch last night but our team and club can remain happy and it was enjoyable to share the moment after the game with them. I expect the stewards were bemused by fans leaving smiling and singing after a 5-0 defeat but we can have a lovely connection with our team.

Good luck next round, whoever you get. It was enjoyable to come to the CBS.
Really canā€™t complain about the result. Unlike at Ipswich, we were able to get into some pretty good forward positions, but didnā€™t know what to do when there. Failing To lay off the ball, put in a cross, or passing the ball all the way back to the keeper. Coventry made Maidstone look like the NLS team we are.

Best of luck for your play offs and cup run.
Ā 

Chris1987

Really canā€™t complain about the result. Unlike at Ipswich, we were able to get into some pretty good forward positions, but didnā€™t know what to do when there. Failing To lay off the ball, put in a cross, or passing the ball all the way back to the keeper. Coventry made Maidstone look like the NLS team we are.

Best of luck for your play offs and cup run.
All the best for the remainder of your season and I hope the money you've earned from the Cup run has a positive impact. Your manager is a proper gentleman and obviously a very genuine guy. It was great to read your comments on this forum .
Ā 

Users who are viewing this thread