Match Thread Coventry City - Maidstone United [FA] Match Thread - Monday 26th Feb (6 Viewers)

SBbucks

Most of your fans have congratulated us on getting so far and recognised that although there was a massive gulf in class we came and tried to play and - whether you like it or not - there were points at which we did something. I don't need to watch highlights to know that we put one cross in that we couldn't quite connect with the header and that Liam Sole had a half decent chance to volley from six yards. Maybe its not on your highlights but it occurred in the 90+ minutes I watched live. They were both in the first half and right in front of me, not in the second half when your team was in cruise control. We were way outclassed, as we were at Ipswich but we did fashion a couple of half chances without you giving us the ball.

Is Liam Sole electing to pass rather than volley on your much vaunted highlights?

The 5 minute ITV highlights don’t show you touching the ball (apart from giving it away), they must have been looking away when you had your golden chances

David O'Day

Most of your fans have congratulated us on getting so far and recognised that although there was a massive gulf in class we came and tried to play and - whether you like it or not - there were points at which we did something. I don't need to watch highlights to know that we put one cross in that we couldn't quite connect with the header and that Liam Sole had a half decent chance to volley from six yards. Maybe its not on your highlights but it occurred in the 90+ minutes I watched live. They were both in the first half and right in front of me, not in the second half when your team was in cruise control. We were way outclassed, as we were at Ipswich but we did fashion a couple of half chances without you giving us the ball.

Is Liam Sole electing to pass rather than volley on your much vaunted highlights?
Mate that can be true and you can still be the worst team that has played at the stadium.

So you put a couple of crosses in and weren't good enough to fashion any chances out of them.

Well done for being plucky but you didn't lay a single glove on us.

Enjoy the rest of your season ;)

David O'Day

The 5 minute ITV highlights don’t show you touching the ball (apart from giving it away), they must have been looking away when you had your golden chances
to be fair they have a shot in the bbc highlights but it's that awful one into the side netting in the 2nd half

Grendel

Mate that can be true and you can still be the worst team that has played at the stadium.

So you put a couple of crosses in and weren't good enough to fashion any chances out of them.

Well done for being plucky but you didn't lay a single glove on us.

Enjoy the rest of your season ;)

Arsley Town are the lowest ranked team to play us at the stadium I would guess

StrettoBoy

Last night was a really enjoyable experience for us and we will maybe never experience again.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I hope you will be able to have a similar experience in the not too distant future. Remember you only have to get to the third round to be in with a chance of drawing a big Premiership club.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

A good professional performance. Get a couple of goals early, slow the game down and control possession, score a few more at the end to show we could have done more if we wanted.

Defence had little to do. Wilson still didn't come for anything in his area.
Midfield was tidy enough. Kelly got caught in possession a couple of times and I think he'd really struggle with the quicker closing down in the Championship. Could be useful for leadership but wouldn't use him for anything other than winning the ball and keeping a good shape.
Really happy for Simms. Starting to feel comfortable in the no.9 role. Hope it continues for him. Needs to be better at trapping the ball though.
Wright was quiet but we sent a lot through Tavares.
Tavares on the wing looked a bit lost. A few times he let his man run in behind him. Struggled to beat his man with pace or skill and was always outmuscled. Kept on looking for the ball though. Fantastic bit of control to get through on goal but an awful shot. Looked a lot better being played as a central striker, though not sure how effective he'd be at Championship level. Seems like the little striker you'd get in a big man/little man combination of yesteryear. We don't play that though.

Hoping for a winnable tie at home next round.

Last edited:

Not NWS

Thank you. Indeed, we never majorly threatened but it is funny to have someone telling you to be truthful while they deny reality.
It’s over my friend. Time to move on and stop arguing with the locals. I’m really going to miss all the social media attention. But it’s back to the dull grind of the National League South. Let these nice people turn their attention to bigger matters. Thank you everyone at Coventry for a great experience, despite the result.

Last words from NWS incoming, 3 2 1…

Warwickhunt

FFS should have guessed.

Gracious in Victory! Excellent work Maidstone, who played football, unlike some of the clubs we've had in the championship!!
Too Right! It was nice to see a team play football instead of Kidney Punching, Heading the back of the forwards head, pulling shirts, Pushing in the back as the ball is coming, and thats just the referee :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: seriously they played football as it was intended an not Preston North End football tactics

NWS

Too Right! It was nice to see a team play football instead of Kidney Punching, Heading the back of the forwards head, pulling shirts, Pushing in the back as the ball is coming, and thats just the referee :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: seriously they played football as it was intended an not Preston North End football tactics
We will be back to that on saturday🤣🤣

SkyBlueCharlie9

Great day for me and my 16yo son who is STH and SkyBlue through and through. Picked him up from his Maidstone School at lunchtime when half his year were wagging the afternoon off and disappearing up to Cov. We enjoyed sharing v signs with passing car/coach loads of his schoolmates on M25 all the round M25 and up the M1 as Cov scarf was hanging out. Many Maidstone fans generally support a range of big london/Manc/Lierpool teams (like Wrexham fans) but this tie genuinely brought the local community down here together for Stones big day out. They all had great fun and created lovely memories despite the result and that is what footy is all about. Son went into school very happy, knackered and relieved. PUSB

shmmeee

About????

Come on Pete I’m sure he can’t remember the exact timing, “about 15 minutes” is good enough.

I genuinely left fancying giving non league football a go TBH. Football like it used to be.

NWS

The highlights provided by your running mate showed the goals.

Your original claim was that any slight danger we caused was when you gave the ball away. Well, I've pointed you towards two crosses we put in that caused slight danger. Your own fans have backed me up.
Now you have gone from talking about slight danger to golden chances. Oh dear.

NWS

Come on Pete I’m sure he can’t remember the exact timing, “about 15 minutes” is good enough.

I genuinely left fancying giving non league football a go TBH. Football like it used to be.
Ha ha...that novelty might wear off. 🤣 It's not usually particularly atmospheric but you watch while having a pint, move round the ground etc. It's enjoyable.

NWS

It’s over my friend. Time to move on and stop arguing with the locals. I’m really going to miss all the social media attention. But it’s back to the dull grind of the National League South. Let these nice people turn their attention to bigger matters. Thank you everyone at Coventry for a great experience, despite the result.

Last words from NWS incoming, 3 2 1…
Dull grind. We've got Dover away Saturday🤣

Hertsccfc

You couldn’t blame Collins for reacting badly to being dropped for not having done a great deal wrong. Especially since Wilson reverted to type against PNE.
We have no idea if this is true or not.

However, talking entirely theoretically and not in relation to Collins, yes I absolutely would blame any player who sulks when being dropped. They have to respect the manager's judgement and concentrate on trying to win their place back. It's a team game and I have no time for players who behave like that and wouldn't want them part of the squad.

SBbucks

The highlights provided by your running mate showed the goals.

Your original claim was that any slight danger we caused was when you gave the ball away. Well, I've pointed you towards two crosses we put in that caused slight danger. Your own fans have backed me up.
Now you have gone from talking about slight danger to golden chances. Oh dear.

Earlier you said they were “okish” chances, now you’ve downgraded them to “slight danger”. Whatever you want to call them, I’m not sure our defence noticed them. Totally deluded

chiefdave

Don't think we really need to be having a go at Maidstone and trying to create some weird rivalry. Fantastic effort to get this far and they created a couple of half chances and we all know that even 3-0 if one of those had gone in we'd have been shitting ourselves.

Their fans seemed a decent bunch, despite for some odd reason there being a massive police presence like we were expecting trouble, and hopefully a few of the locals who have got on the bandwagon will stick around.

JAM See

Anyway, time as my mirror image friend say, time to go. Win the cup so we can say we got knocked out by the winners. I'll leave SBucks to his reality-changing drugs

Cheerio
All the best @NWS

Cheerio.

Users who are viewing this thread