Match Thread Coventry City - Maidstone United [FA] Match Thread - Monday 26th Feb (1 Viewer)

alexccfc99

Well, that's the cup over for another year for us. Funny to be still watching it in Feb. I used to be grateful if we were still in, in October. Its been a fab time knocking out Barow, Stevenage and, of course, that fabulous day at Ipswich. A more natural order was restored on the pitch last night but our team and club can remain happy and it was enjoyable to share the moment after the game with them. I expect the stewards were bemused by fans leaving smiling and singing after a 5-0 defeat but we can have a lovely connection with our team.

Good luck next round, whoever you get. It was enjoyable to come to the CBS.
Fairs

Don't take it the wrong way but I think you had your day in the last round! Was a huge ask for lightening to strike twice

Still good experience for your boys on the park, made yourself a nice few quid and got your name in the national headlines for a good few days

All the best

lifeskyblue

Really can’t complain about the result. Unlike at Ipswich, we were able to get into some pretty good forward positions, but didn’t know what to do when there. Failing To lay off the ball, put in a cross, or passing the ball all the way back to the keeper. Coventry made Maidstone look like the NLS team we are.

Best of luck for your play offs and cup run.

Absolutely. Thought you played neat football first half but we’re not quick enough in thought or action when you got 30yds from goal. Too many touches and indecision meant you didn’t create the chances or test our keeper. We don’t play as high a line as Ipswich so again you couldn’t get in behind often.
Then in midfield when not with ball you gave us too much space and respect enabling our midfield to control tempo.
Defensively whereas at Ipswich you rode luck and made heroic tackles and blocks it just didn’t work out like that last night.
In many ways I thought you tried to play a type of football seen more in the championship rather than non league…that is to your credit but I’m not sure you have the players to do that effectively for 90minutes.

Most importantly for Maidstone you created a special journey that the players (for the majority the highest opposition they will play against), the staff and most of all the fans will never forget. Although a lot of those that travelled last night will fall away there will be a fair few that will have caught the bug and attend more games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gynnsthetonic

Really can’t complain about the result. Unlike at Ipswich, we were able to get into some pretty good forward positions, but didn’t know what to do when there. Failing To lay off the ball, put in a cross, or passing the ball all the way back to the keeper. Coventry made Maidstone look like the NLS team we are.

Best of luck for your play offs and cup run.
Hopefully you'll climb the pyramid soon as Maidstone is a big town which can support a league side. Some of the sides like Salford, Crawley, Forest Green etc are really punching above their weight

Not NWS

Hopefully you'll climb the pyramid soon as Maidstone is a big town which can support a league side. Some of the sides like Salford, Crawley, Forest Green etc are really punching above their weight
Some of us don’t want to return to the National League, full of semi bankrupt and heavily bankrolled clubs. Ten years of profitability were built on part time wages and full time crowds. It was a disastrous NL relegation season that saw our first loss since returning home.

olderskyblue

It was my old mans birthday yesterday and this was on his seat before the game (not planned by me/family)

really nice touch by the club
Roger 60 today? Bloody hell that’s a tall order…. ;)

Ashdown

Well, that's the cup over for another year for us. Funny to be still watching it in Feb. I used to be grateful if we were still in, in October. Its been a fab time knocking out Barow, Stevenage and, of course, that fabulous day at Ipswich. A more natural order was restored on the pitch last night but our team and club can remain happy and it was enjoyable to share the moment after the game with them. I expect the stewards were bemused by fans leaving smiling and singing after a 5-0 defeat but we can have a lovely connection with our team.

The best compliment we could have shown Maidstone was to turn up in such good numbers and boost the coffers for both clubs. We did that, great support all round !

SBbucks

Some ridiculous comments by some of our supporters on Twitter, etc. “Maidstone were great”, “they didn’t deserve that scoreline” and “I wished they had scored”. Why on earth do we need this love-in?

They looked what they are, an extremely limited tier 6 team with a goalkeeper who looks several levels above them and had somehow (god knows how) managed to get to the 5th round. The only slight danger of them scoring was once when we gave the ball away at the back and even then they didn’t get a shot on target.

It was the easiest game most of us will ever see, as many of us thought it would be (I thought it would be at least 6 or 7) based on the way we dismantled Oxford. Even Robins said that he was preparing for Friday’s game after 40 minutes!

If we hadn’t played walking football for the first 40 minutes of the second half (clearly under instructions to save energy) it would have been a cricket score.

Congrats to them for getting this far but let’s not pretend that it was remotely competitive.

NWS

The best compliment we could have shown Maidstone was to turn up in such good numbers and boost the coffers for both clubs. We did that, great support all round !
Yes. It was enjoyable. It was no good nearly 5k of us turning up if only 5k-10k of you turned up. Just strolling across the bridge and looking at the stadium we were about to play in was emotional.

Cheers. Good luck in the next round. You're only one from Wembley!

NWS

Some ridiculous comments by some of our supporters on Twitter, etc. “Maidstone were great”, “they didn’t deserve that scoreline” and “I wished they had scored”. Why on earth do we need this love-in?

They looked what they are, an extremely limited tier 6 team with a goalkeeper who looks several levels above them and had somehow (god knows how) managed to get to the 5th round. The only slight danger of them scoring was once when we gave the ball away at the back and even then they didn’t get a shot on target.

It was the easiest game most of us will ever see, as many of us thought it would be (I thought it would be at least 6 or 7) based on the way we dismantled Oxford. Even Robins said that he was preparing for Friday’s game after 40 minutes!

If we hadn’t played walking football for the first 40 minutes of the second half (clearly under instructions to save energy) it would have been a cricket score.

Congrats to them for getting this far but let’s not pretend that it was remotely competitive.
I get that the class difference told last night and coventry played with no pressure on the ball or intensity second half, but I guess you just were not looking when we created two okish chances in the first half through crosses.

StrettoBoy

Congratulations to your club and players on an outstanding cup run. You have brightened up the competition for the whole nation. A 5-0 scoreline is probably about par given the gulf of around 95 places in the league ladder.

It was nice to see your fans congratulating the team afterwards and credit to George Elokobi for his sporting behaviour.

Like many others I will be following your performances in future and wish you all the very best.

Bidda

There seems to be an “accepted level” of shirt pulling and the refs largely turn a blind eye to it as they don’t want to be contentious. It should be a penalty every time, but there’s no will in the game to stop it. It should be the easiest thing to get rid of as it is so obvious at all levels (even more so in the PL using VAR).
At one corner, the defender was grappling with Lati and tried to push him over the goal line as the ball was delivered. Crazy.

David O'Day

I get that the class difference told last night and coventry played with no pressure on the ball or intensity second half, but I guess you just were not looking when we created two okish chances in the first half through crosses.
Nothing that he says is untrue though

Here are the ITV highlights and what can you see it lacking?

Fair play and all due respect but let's keep it truthful.

StrettoBoy

Ive never seen such blatant holding and shirt pulling at corners as there was last night. The ref delayed a corner with the treatment Simms was getting, but even after speaking to the defender, he carried straight on with business as usual. Surely ANY holding of an attacker should result in a penalty? The ref could have picked anyone of three defenders doing it at our corners. Is this an accepted part of the game now even at grass roots level? Im pretty sure in my day if you laid a hand on anyone during a free kick it was a nailed on pen.

Par for the course these days. We do it as well.

Start awarding penalties and it will go away. Until the players get used to it there will be a few scores of around 13-11 😆

SBbucks

I was watching but can’t honestly remember them, they might have seemed like chances to you but it’s all relative. Wilson didn’t have a save to make, thankfully.The only time I remember the ball going anywhere near our goal was the effort into the side netting in the second half.

shmmeee

Ive never seen such blatant holding and shirt pulling at corners as there was last night. The ref delayed a corner with the treatment Simms was getting, but even after speaking to the defender, he carried straight on with business as usual. Surely ANY holding of an attacker should result in a penalty? The ref could have picked anyone of three defenders doing it at our corners. Is this an accepted part of the game now even at grass roots level? Im pretty sure in my day if you laid a hand on anyone during a free kick it was a nailed on pen.

The ref very clearly felt anything short of GBH wasn’t going to be given against them and fair enough TBH.

Offhegoes

Really strong, professional performance. Of course, once we went 2 and 3 nil up, we slowed the game down, which made it probably a bit dull on the eye.. We wore Maidstone out and then got our 2 goals at the end.
Kelly - Very good. Ok he's behind Sheaf and Torp for the CM position but can definitely challenge with Eccles. Prefer him than Lati or Allen in there.
Tavares - Clearly a CF, and looked a different player once he went across to the left and then centrally. Good option to have for the run in

NWS

Nothing that he says is untrue though

Here are the ITV highlights and what can you see it lacking?

Fair play and all due respect but let's keep it truthful.

Most of your fans have congratulated us on getting so far and recognised that although there was a massive gulf in class we came and tried to play and - whether you like it or not - there were points at which we did something. I don't need to watch highlights to know that we put one cross in that we couldn't quite connect with the header and that Liam Sole had a half decent chance to volley from six yards. Maybe its not on your highlights but it occurred in the 90+ minutes I watched live. They were both in the first half and right in front of me, not in the second half when your team was in cruise control. We were way outclassed, as we were at Ipswich but we did fashion a couple of half chances without you giving us the ball.

Is Liam Sole electing to pass rather than volley on your much vaunted highlights?

fernandopartridge

Most of your fans have congratulated us on getting so far and recognised that although there was a massive gulf in class we came and tried to play and - whether you like it or not - there were points at which we did something. I don't need to watch highlights to know that we put one cross in that we couldn't quite connect with the header and that Liam Sole had a half decent chance to volley from six yards. Maybe its not on your highlights but it occurred in the 90+ minutes I watched live. They were both in the first half and right in front of me, not in the second half when your team was in cruise control. We were way outclassed, as we were at Ipswich but we did fashion a couple of half chances without you giving us the ball.

Is Liam Sole electing to pass rather than volley on your much vaunted highlights?

Agree with you, you had a couple of decent moments after the first two goals. Nothing major but we definitely had to defend.

NWS

I was watching but can’t honestly remember them, they might have seemed like chances to you but it’s all relative. Wilson didn’t have a save to make, thankfully.The only time I remember the ball going anywhere near our goal was the effort into the side netting in the second half.
The Liam Sole chance you got let off the hook because he elected to pass rather than take on the volley and - inside - we all howled.

NWS

Agree with you, you had a couple of decent moments after the first two goals. Nothing major but we definitely had to defend.
Thank you. Indeed, we never majorly threatened but it is funny to have someone telling you to be truthful while they deny reality.

I'll say it again. Last night was a really enjoyable experience for us and we will maybe never experience again. We've played two games against clubs that have played at the highest levels and won major trophies (even winning one of those games). To us that is our trophy and we've enjoyed every minute of it. I enjoyed your ground last night because it was easily accessed, seemed well run and getting food/drink was no bother. The atmosphere was decent as well. Fair play to your lot for turning up and making some noise, and your club for giving us lots of tickets. I hope we created colour and noise and it was lovely to have our own private 'bowing out' party.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Users who are viewing this thread