Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (34 Viewers)

jimmyhillsfanclub

They’re just all so fucking stupid. In fairness the Labour front bench last year was also the stupidest in living memory.

Why are all our politicians so fucking dumb? What happened to the intellectual powerhouses?

It's the perpetuation of the two party system
Where image takes precedence over wisdom
Where sound bite politics are served to
The fastfood culture
Where straight teeth in your mouth
Are more important than the words
That come out of it

Brighton Sky Blue

Had a read through the Scottish government's latest publication on ways of easing restrictions and noticed this-pure guesswork really including ?? all over

upload_2020-5-5_15-47-18.png

clint van damme

Probably not the best look for Hancock to tell the Shadow Minister for Mental Health, who is also an A&E doctor, to watch her tone when she questions the impact of the lack of testing.

Interestingly while Hancock was telling her she was wrong Sir Patrick Vallance was telling the Commons Health Select Committee it would have been "beneficial" to have ramped up testing. And Jenny Harries told them "things would have been done differently" if test capacity had not been limited.

Is today a 'had enough of experts' day?

behind Hancocks vapid, vacant, exterior is a nasty little c**t.

Brighton Sky Blue

Got to love a scientific plan with multiple question Mark's against data.

Also seems we were worse than Italy at flattening the curve

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

If Mrs Sturgeon was more focused on managing this disease than trying to one up RUK or to look more impressive then I'd have more understanding. But just guessing at the next outbreak or when treatments could appear makes her look more stupid than she already is

Terry Gibson's perm

A little update from yesterday I still haven’t had my results but I am almost certainly positive as my wife has it and she has no symptoms she is perfectly fine and can go to work on Monday, I feel a lot Better today than I have for a week.

chiefdave

Even by the Telegraph's standards this seems irresponsible. Just had my Mum on the phone in a complete state because according to the Telegraph the furlough scheme is to be wound down. As I'm furloughed she's now panicking that I'll be made redundant.

However looking into it what has actually been said is that the scheme won't last forever, which everyone knew, and that the government are looking to get people back to work. Chancellor even specifically said there will be 'no cliff edge'.

What complete pricks, as if people haven't got enough to worry about at the moment.

chiefdave

For those who are keen to sue China, not that I'm sure there's even a mechanism to do that, this report suggests that the strain of the virus causing so many problems in here and in the US is D614G which may have originated here.
Spike mutation pipeline reveals the emergence of a more transmissible form of SARS-CoV-2

Edit: just to be clear and so nobody panics this isn't a new more transmissible form that has just been discovered dropping us deeper in the shit, its the one we're already dealing with.

King of the Lesbians

For those who are keen to sue China, not that I'm sure there's even a mechanism to do that, this report suggests that the strain of the virus causing so many problems in here and in the US is D614G which may have originated here.
Spike mutation pipeline reveals the emergence of a more transmissible form of SARS-CoV-2

Edit: just to be clear and so nobody panics this isn't a new more transmissible form that has just been discovered dropping us deeper in the shit, its the one we're already dealing with.
Don't understand a lot of that but to dumb it down for me does that mean that the people who think they may have had it in December could have had an older, less easily transmissible form of covid-19?

chiefdave

Don't understand a lot of that but to dumb it down for me does that mean that the people who think they may have had it in December could have had an older, less easily transmissible form of covid-19?
A lot of it is over my head but the bit I do get is that the virus, as with regular flu, mutates into different strains. Hence the yearly flu jab is a best guess of which strain they think will be dominant that winter.

What this appears to be saying is the virus already existed but in February mutated into a version named D614G which they say "began spreading in Europe in early February, and when introduced to new regions it rapidly becomes the dominant form."

shmmeee

looks like care homes are now becoming a huge issue.

Yeah just seen the slide showing they’re still rising rapidly. Doesn’t say much when the original strategy was about shielding the vulnerable that arguably that’s where we’ve done the worst.

David O'Day

Yeah just seen the slide showing they’re still rising rapidly. Doesn’t say much when the original strategy was about shielding the vulnerable that arguably that’s where we’ve done the worst.
New cases isn't going down as fast as you'd hope as well

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

djr8369

Just a few points for the several posters falling over themselves to try and sound smart by repeating what the government experts said last night or saying the whole thing is hyperbole.

Most of us saw the press conference last night and understand what the plan is so please stop condescendingly explaining it to everyone on the thread.

Look at the bigger picture. No country is following the strategy we are. Our strategy is unorthodox and high risk. They’re all listening to their own experts who are coming to different conclusions. Our plan may prove to be the best course of action in the long term, only time will tell, but even if that’s the case things aren’t that straight forward.

Firstly, the day after the government announced the new phase they’re already losing control as organisations are shutting things down anyway. You might consider that “hyperbole” but almost every other affected country is doing similar things, sports seasons cancelled etc. The league can’t function with teams having to go into self isolation. Delay fixtures for two weeks and you’ll just have other teams in isolation.

Secondly, there is going to be huge political pressure on this strategy. Journalists were already asking awkward questions last night. What do you think the public reaction will be when pensioners are dropping by the hundreds and the government are saying “herd immunity”?

The strategy might have been “war gamed” by a nerd with a PPE degree playing at being a tech entrepreneur but that doesn’t mean it’s going to survive contact with reality.

I actually think the broad idea is smart but it’s going to take balls of steel and the public reaction to it is going to be intense as people start dying in higher numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You think we will have a higher death rate than Italy? Wow

Bump.

Sky Blue Pete

You are absolutely right. I think it’s a criminal act to have returned covid positive patients from hospital to care homes

Grendel

Grendel

Yep worse death figures in Europe and expect it to be significantly higher as we’ve not done the lockdowns done elsewhere

Every country has different death measurements still I’m sure dine in here are gagging for us to be top of the league

Grendel

Ha good try old timer. You keep grasping at those straws and projecting your own world view on others.

You have a track record of being categorically wrong and yet you are still arguing with everyone on here. You should be enjoying your retirement.

Oh dear too much time in the sun and 2 cans of Bud Lite?

clint van damme

He also maintains that we've got to 100k tests a day. Fucking crazy.

they're all over the shop. Constantly contradicting what they've previously said, constantly contradicting each other, constantly missing targets.
Sunak seems to be the only one who's got a handle on his brief and a couple of them have disappeared altogether. They're a fucking shambles.

Users who are viewing this thread