Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (45 Viewers)

djr8369

Reality hasn't hit hime in the UK. We are used to seeing people carrying on as usual other than keeping a few feet apart. The realisation of our economy being shafted is still a week or two away.

The government don't help talking about a quick recovery. How they can say that based on some of the economic indicators is beyond belief.

Astute

The government don't help talking about a quick recovery. How they can say that based on some of the economic indicators is beyond belief.
The government is full of shite. We all know that they are full of shite.

It also comes down to what you count as recovery.

Astute

Hatchet Job?
Jealous Husband?
I'd imagine this is posing a problem in wider society .
The illicit workplace affair etc .
More like caught out not social distancing when a part of those who preach social distancing.

Sky Blue Pete

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
Can’t work our what the article is saying. Not much balance and if he was so bad at his job would he still be in it? Also how wrong was he on this? We are looking at 53000 extra deaths in a month. We could easily get to 100000 within a month or two
Do you not think they're reasonable questions to ask?
He admitted that the CV predictions were based on 13yo flu code...

Seems to me like he's had a history of wildly overestimating potential impacts.

We should have just protected the vulnerable at all costs. The failure to protect care homes was/is scandalous.

But that's not to say the scientists shouldn't be challenged too.

David O'Day

Fergusons predictions were based on non mitigation so we are unlikely to see anywhere near the figures in them.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

shmmeee

We should have just protected the vulnerable at all costs. The failure to protect care homes was/is scandalous.

He’s one of several advisors to a government that has access to whatever advice it chooses right now. They chose this guy and his advice seemingly wasn’t too different from anyone else’s at the time. The governments response isn’t his fault, it’s the government’s. Whether he himself was right or wrong (and there’s not much evidence he was that wrong).

Most of those “questions” are nonsense from a magazine that has been anti-lockdown from the start. As I say, he’s being put up by the right as a patsy. Posting a dubious hit piece from the fucking Spectator of all places, land of the edge lords, hardly disproves my theory.

Astute

So what should any thoughts be based on at a time they knew hardly anything about the virus?

Scientists are like many other 'experts'. They make their guesstimates from previous data and make an educated guess on the rest. That is why so many disagree with each other. And until they solve the problem we won't know which are right and which are wrong.

Astute

How can they have left those that should have been shielded so wilfully in such danger in care homes
Half of me thinks that there was too much for the NHS to cope with at the same time. Most countries seem to have had the same problem. The other half of me thinks that they didn't care too much about the care homes. They will save a lot of money in the future by not having to care for those no longer with us.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
He’s one of several advisors to a government that has access to whatever advice it chooses right now. They chose this guy and his advice seemingly wasn’t too different from anyone else’s at the time. The governments response isn’t his fault, it’s the government’s. Whether he himself was right or wrong (and there’s not much evidence he was that wrong).

Most of those “questions” are nonsense from a magazine that has been anti-lockdown from the start. As I say, he’s being put up by the right as a patsy. Posting a dubious hit piece from the fucking Spectator of all places, land of the edge lords, hardly disproves my theory.
A challenging question is still valid irrespective of the persuasion of who's asking it.

The Govt has got so much wrong. They panicked about hospital beds that they cheerfully sent untested CV positive cases back to unprepared care homes which has killed thousands.

However, no one involved should be excluded from questioning.

Ian1779

Half of me thinks that there was too much for the NHS to cope with at the same time. Most countries seem to have had the same problem. The other half of me thinks that they didn't care too much about the care homes. They will save a lot of money in the future by not having to care for those no longer with us.

I’m going with the other half

Ian1779

Yup and solve a few pension deficits...
Let’s be honest - once they get to a care home it’s unlikely they’ll be voting anymore - they can become obsolete then in the eyes of a Tory... plenty more to recruit from Facebook to fill their place.

Brighton Sky Blue

Is that the same as when you told someone who has higher qualifications than yourself that he is wrong about something and you know that because you have a degree. So he shows you the proof that he is right. Then you go silent on the subject?

Really? When did this happen?

Is it not obvious that I think Brexit is a load of toss and I wouldn't really want a clock to ring for it?

Brighton Sky Blue

So what should any thoughts be based on at a time they knew hardly anything about the virus?

Scientists are like many other 'experts'. They make their guesstimates from previous data and make an educated guess on the rest. That is why so many disagree with each other. And until they solve the problem we won't know which are right and which are wrong.

Really is incredible how well you know this profession

Astute

Really? When did this happen?

Is it not obvious that I think Brexit is a load of toss and I wouldn't really want a clock to ring for it?
Do you need me to remind you about smokers having less chance of getting the virus and smokers also having a good recovery rate when they did get the virus. Then you said you knew it was wrong and you knew more than me because you have a degree. I then showed you the proof. You then went quiet.

But you know all this.

Ring Of Steel

I looked and Italy has 1,500,000 more over 70s than the U.K.- the most vulnerable group. Yet still we have more deaths than Italy- with no end in sight yet.

And then this, the usual attempt to avoid all scrutiny- on top of Hancock getting aggressive at the woman asking a simple question earlier on you have to assume that our leaders really don’t care about their citizens very much.

Sky Blue Pete

Brazil and USA deserve to get the virus bad because of their leaders but you can’t help feeling for the poor in their countries who will pay for their wilful ignorance with their lives

Brighton Sky Blue

Do you need me to remind you about smokers having less chance of getting the virus and smokers also having a good recovery rate when they did get the virus. Then you said you knew it was wrong and you knew more than me because you have a degree. I then showed you the proof. You then went quiet.

But you know all this.

I offered a possible explanation for any unexpected resistance to infection and stated that if someone's respiratory system is already damaged by smoking they will not fare well if infected. This isn't controversial, it's an extremely relevant pre-existing condition. Still you seemed to genuinely think I wanted Big Ben to ring to celebrate something I think is shit.

So tell me where I am wrong. You are normally good at doing so.

Science is an enormous field with hundreds or thousands of sub-disciplines. In most of them though we try to carry out experiments to test ideas and gather more data to achieve that. You seem to be focussing on the epidemiologists who have been looking at things from a statistical viewpoint and ignoring the other 'experts' developing vaccines and anti-virals, and attempting to properly understand all manner of things about how the virus works. We don't just use 'guesstimates' to guide what we do.

Users who are viewing this thread