Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (22 Viewers)

djr8369

693 deaths today.

85k ish tests

Is it me or is the death totals not falling as fast as you’d expect?
Depends what you would expect? Less harsh lockdown than other countries so you would expect it to fall slower.

It would have been interesting if a track and trace app was ready that might have given some data on how the infection is spreading under lockdown, is it supermarket shopping, lack of measures in the workplace, public transport etc.

Grendel

Ah I've hit a nerve.

Seriously, enjoy your retirement.

Hardly as I’m not even retired - oddly you can get another job

Grendel

Wow you've really done me there. Can't believe I didn't know you had a job after banging on about your pension.

Oddly you can have both you know - I haven’t even actually touched my pension

Grendel

KFC open I see

Ring Of Steel

Which makes the talk of lifting lockdown a little premature, no? If we’re less past the peak and more at the plateau?

They are not thinking about it in terms of safety, they are thinking about it in terms of having to start the economy again while trying to minimise deaths. Its a long, long way from over yet.

Ring Of Steel

they're all over the shop. Constantly contradicting what they've previously said, constantly contradicting each other, constantly missing targets.
Sunak seems to be the only one who's got a handle on his brief and a couple of them have disappeared altogether. They're a fucking shambles.

Reminds me of some people on here who jump from one tenuous "yeah but we've done really well" tirade to another.

Grendel

KFC is staggering if anyone is near it by Sainsbury’s have a look it’s a tourist attraction all on its own

djr8369

Oddly you can have both you know - I haven’t even actually touched my pension

It's actually quite stunning how in three messages you managed to go from defending yourself from an accusation that you're wrong about everything to suggesting I wasn't aware you could have a job and a pension. Olympic level deflection and diversion, well done.

Grendel

It's actually quite stunning how in three messages you managed to go from defending yourself from an accusation that you're wrong about everything to suggesting I wasn't aware you could have a job and a pension. Olympic level deflection and diversion, well done.

Er you raised the pension not me. I’m not wrong about everything and I’m glad I occupy your thoughts as seriously you don’t occupy one second of my thoughts. I vaguely recall your boring slugfest with David - I wouldn’t otherwise have any thoughts whatsoever - that’s the difference I guess - people notice me and you just go through life being - well - unnoticed

pipkin73

Glad to hear they're gradually loosening things, the sunshine will do everybody the world of good. Places in Spain are not really designed for constant indoor living with the small windows etc.
Anto Ryan has been streaming stuff on YouTube, my father in law was watching him the other week.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
Lot's of people been doing this mate, helping keep people's spirits up. Some also offering to do free shows when the bars are open to help them out.

Astute

I was being facetious dude
Is that the same as when you told someone who has higher qualifications than yourself that he is wrong about something and you know that because you have a degree. So he shows you the proof that he is right. Then you go silent on the subject?

pipkin73

I'm off.on a long walk sometime next week. Going to walk around the outside of the island I live on. Wanted to do it for years. It is 13 1/2 miles long. But is a much longer walk than 27 miles as nowhere near a straight line. Also two nature reserves that add distance. Would guess a total of 35 to 40 miles mainly on sand. And will hardly see anyone all day.
Wow, i thought i did well yesterday.
Enjoy it mate, something you have always wanted to do so no better time.
Think it would kill me though.

pipkin73

Certainly not surprising when we are supposedly not allowed to go out to buy non essentials. Most people have had their pay reduced or work ended.

And I can't see them getting anywhere near back ti the previous levels for a long time. Most cars are 'sold' as hire arrangements. Look at how many people have been left with contracts they now can't afford. Can't see that many being desperate to take out new contracts once their present one runs out. On top of that a lot of people will lose their present income. The car industry is the one I see as being hit the hardest.
Think i read something like only 23 cars sold out here in March, car market will be hit hard.

shmmeee

Don’t know why companies aren’t being fined for running unnecessary business. KFC and Aer Lingus to name a couple.

giphy.gif

Which one mate??? Gonna take a trip up

Pick us up a Zinger box meal.

djr8369

Er you raised the pension not me. I’m not wrong about everything and I’m glad I occupy your thoughts as seriously you don’t occupy one second of my thoughts. I vaguely recall your boring slugfest with David - I wouldn’t otherwise have any thoughts whatsoever - that’s the difference I guess - people notice me and you just go through life being - well - unnoticed

Oh no, how will my wounded pride ever recover.

Astute

Wow, i thought i did well yesterday.
Enjoy it mate, something you have always wanted to do so no better time.
Think it would kill me though.
Was in decent shape until shutdown. Still keeping up with the youngsters in the boxing ring who are over 30 years younger. But have decided not to go through the pain of getting to their fitness levels again. Will still help with their training but is time to call it a day for myself.

But I have the lakes on my doorstep. This 30 odd mile walk will be a warm-up to walking up all the peaks around here. Not ready to sit in the corner slobbering all over myself just yet.

djr8369

Seems to me everyone’s seeing what they want in this crisis.

Environmentalists saying well all work from home and reduce consumption: not going to happen

Technologists saying well all do remote work and online learning: not going to happen

Left wingers pushing UBI: not going to happen

Isolationists pushing reduced globalisation: not going to happen.

The economic forces driving all those things will still exist post virus.

Interesting take shmmeee. Although I agree with your core point I think some of these will stick to an extent due to the behavioral influence but there are aspects of a couple that will also have economic drivers, For instance, some businesses reporting productivity rises from WFH and will see an economic benefit in reducing office footprint.

pipkin73

Was in decent shape until shutdown. Still keeping up with the youngsters in the boxing ring who are over 30 years younger. But have decided not to go through the pain of getting to their fitness levels again. Will still help with their training but is time to call it a day for myself.

But I have the lakes on my doorstep. This 30 odd mile walk will be a warm-up to walking up all the peaks around here. Not ready to sit in the corner slobbering all over myself just yet.
The opposite for me. Had very bad back problems for years (one of the reasons for moving out here to the heat) and put a lot of weight on.
Since the Mrs has passed i've lost 3 stone and up untill this lockdown been making an effort to exercise more and more.
Still don't find walking any sort of distance easy but the more i do it the easier it becomes, so i just fight through it.
Talking of which 9 mins to go and out time again :) easier walk today than yesterday though, friggin killed me (best sleep in months though lol).

Astute

Think i read something like only 23 cars sold out here in March, car market will be hit hard.
Our shutdown has been nowhere near your lockdown. I had the normal comments made on here when I said ours should be much stricter. Now the same people are saying about how high our numbers are.

Reality hasn't hit hime in the UK. We are used to seeing people carrying on as usual other than keeping a few feet apart. The realisation of our economy being shafted is still a week or two away.

This comment isn't aimed at those on here..... people are more interested in agendas and point scoring than actually looking at what is going on. Too many people are in their own bubble. They are only looking at their own angle. It is different to yourself where you will have seen and personally seen what is happening. It is shocking what an illness can do to an economy.

But I still think the UK will be OK. It will get bad but could be worse. I fear more for the countries that rely on tourism. Less money to spend on holidays and less to spend when there. Keeping up with the neighbours with a new car? Not a necessity. My 3k car will last me 4 years from when I bought it and put on over 100k miles in this time. And I will still get half my money back.

Astute

The opposite for me. Had very bad back problems for years (one of the reasons for moving out here to the heat) and put a lot of weight on.
Since the Mrs has passed i've lost 3 stone and up untill this lockdown been making an effort to exercise more and more.
Still don't find walking any sort of distance easy but the more i do it the easier it becomes, so i just fight through it.
Talking of which 9 mins to go and out time again :) easier walk today than yesterday though, friggin killed me (best sleep in months though lol).
Keep it up. Don't push yourself too hard. It is much harder in the heat anyway. The good thing about walking is you can enjoy the views. Keep on more level ground until you build up your back muscles a bit. It will help to take the strain.

Have a few old injuries myself. A lot of the left side of me is knackered. The main reason I kept my fitness up. Starting to feel old injuries again. Time to do something about it.

Users who are viewing this thread