Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (73 Viewers)

Ian1779

Do you feel cleansed for this typical rant you inevitably revert to ? Does it make you feel that you're giving something back for all the wrongs our country has done compared to every other nation ? Or are you just on your high horse yet again ?
Don't forget the winking imoji .

He has a point though - the only people that are talking about ‘punishing China’ are idiots, populists and fascists..... which would make an interesting Venn diagram.

Brighton Sky Blue

Seems to me everyone’s seeing what they want in this crisis.

Environmentalists saying well all work from home and reduce consumption: not going to happen

Technologists saying well all do remote work and online learning: not going to happen

Left wingers pushing UBI: not going to happen

Isolationists pushing reduced globalisation: not going to happen.

The economic forces driving all those things will still exist post virus.

Except UBI would have been a simpler and more effective way of protecting workers. Not necessarily in favour of it permanently though

SkyBlueCharlie9

I drove for first time in 7 weeks yesterday to collect files from office - the M20 was busy with loads of cars and non stop flow continental of HGVs flowing in both directions. Noticed many more planes flying from Gatwick too this week Our weak partial lockdown is well and truly over.

skybluetony176

I was pondering why this latest virus name has no reference to Wuhan or China though......I mean we've had the Spanish flu, MERS, SARS, Ebola etc......why is it not called Wuhan-19 or China-crisis for example?
I don’t think Spanish flu is officially called Spanish flu. IIRC from school history lessons there was reporting bans on in countries involved in WW1 and Spain was neutral so British papers particularly reported on the flu pandemic from the angle of how it was effecting Spain as they couldn’t report on how it was effecting the U.K. or US as it was a state secret as it was seen as detrimental to the war effort. Hence the phrase Spanish Flu was coined.

NorthernWisdom

I drove for first time in 7 weeks yesterday to collect files from office - the M20 was busy with loads of cars and non stop flow continental of HGVs flowing in both directions. Noticed many more planes flying from Gatwick too this week Our weak partial lockdown is well and truly over.
The murmerings are we'll be back soon. Try as I might, I can't see how we're essential... although tbf who wants to argue their employment is totally inessential!

David O'Day

I don’t think Spanish flu is officially called Spanish flu. IIRC from school history lessons there was reporting bans on in countries involved in WW1 and Spain was neutral so British papers particularly reported on the flu pandemic from the angle of how it was effecting Spain as they couldn’t report on how it was effecting the U.K. or US as it was a state secret as it was seen as detrimental to the war effort. Hence the phrase Spanish Flu was coined.
It was the spanish newspapers reporting on the cases in their country and it's mortality rate. Plus their king almost died of it.

It definitely hit the us, uk, france and germany first

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Ring Of Steel

Do you feel cleansed for this typical rant you inevitably revert to ? Does it make you feel that you're giving something back for all the wrongs our country has done compared to every other nation ? Or are you just on your high horse yet again ?
Don't forget the winking imoji .

None of the above, just pointing out facts. You may not like it but you need to face up to it. We are not the innocent bystanders that some people would like to make out we are.

You know- I don't get why this is not obvious- but it is very easily possible to be very proud of this country for many things, and also be aware that other things we did were evil & murderous. It doesn't have to be all one of the other, you can have both. Whether on balance we have been a force for good is not up to me to decide- I think so personally, but that doesn't mean I'm going to just pretend other things never happened which caused death & poverty all over the planet, up to you if thats the way you want to act.

skybluetony176

It was the spanish newspapers reporting on the cases in their country and it's mortality rate. Plus their king almost died of it.

It definitely hit the us, uk, france and germany first

Now you say that I think you’re exactly right. I’m trying to stretch my mind back 35 years and failing.

shmmeee

Except UBI would have been a simpler and more effective way of protecting workers. Not necessarily in favour of it permanently though

I am in favour of it permanently and agree it’d be a good short term measure. I’m referring to those who claim the case has been made for it permanently. My point is that the crisis throw up lots of short term measures that make sense or are emotionally satisfying but in reality aren’t likely to stick around post crisis.

Astute

He has a point though - the only people that are talking about ‘punishing China’ are idiots, populists and fascists..... which would make an interesting Venn diagram.
China will be punished. But not in the way many want.

Too many people seem to be using the virus to push forward an agenda instead of considering the consequences of the virus. Tens of millions of people minimum are going to lose their livelihoods. Many of those already struggling will end up in a really bad situation. Many of those doing well will suddenly be in the shit. Untold billions are being thrown at the problem in the UK alone and it won't be enough. But I think we will be better off than most. Worldwide people will be skint. No job no prospects.

Then consider how many buy from China. Or look at countries that depend on motor manufacturing like Germany. What can they do to keep it going?

Life is changing forever. And how we deal with it should be the only agenda.

Ring Of Steel

China will be punished. But not in the way many want.

Too many people seem to be using the virus to push forward an agenda instead of considering the consequences of the virus. Tens of millions of people minimum are going to lose their livelihoods. Many of those already struggling will end up in a really bad situation. Many of those doing well will suddenly be in the shit. Untold billions are being thrown at the problem in the UK alone and it won't be enough. But I think we will be better off than most. Worldwide people will be skint. No job no prospects.

Then consider how many buy from China. Or look at countries that depend on motor manufacturing like Germany. What can they do to keep it going?

Life is changing forever. And how we deal with it should be the only agenda.

I actually agree with that. However I'd like to add the conclusion of the League One season to the agenda please.

Astute

I am in favour of it permanently and agree it’d be a good short term measure. I’m referring to those who claim the case has been made for it permanently. My point is that the crisis throw up lots of short term measures that make sense or are emotionally satisfying but in reality aren’t likely to stick around post crisis.
If those short term measures are not extended the figures given out for Brexit will be a drop in the ocean.

Ring Of Steel

Jesus. It’s The Reg so this gets a bit technical but good article on the mess the government is making of the contact tracing app:

UK finds itself almost alone with centralized virus contact-tracing app that probably won't work well, asks for your location, may be illegal

Not surprising when I think 8 of the 18 contracts were given to the Vote Leave data analysts, the Cambridge Analytica crew. You'd need to be a bit naive to download that and not expect to have your data used for nefarious means. And funnily enough its very similar to the one they tried to roll out in USA where it sneakily asked for your permission to access all data on your phone, forever.

Astute

Theyd still be short term though. Not a new normal
They don't need extending forever. Might be needed for a couple of years or more though. But it is sure going to be a shit roller coaster ride.

David O'Day

If the track and trace app isn't centralised it is of no value in helping the government with their track, trace and testing.

clint van damme

Not surprising when I think 8 of the 18 contracts were given to the Vote Leave data analysts, the Cambridge Analytica crew. You'd need to be a bit naive to download that and not expect to have your data used for nefarious means. And funnily enough its very similar to the one they tried to roll out in USA where it sneakily asked for your permission to access all data on your phone, forever.

spot on. I've seen whose involved with this app, they can fuck off if they think I'll be downloading it.

shmmeee

If the track and trace app isn't centralised it is of no value in helping the government with their track, trace and testing.

Rubbish. The government don’t even say that, they say they need the centralised data for NHS planning not track and trace. Most other countries are using the Apple/Google decentralised system which as the article explains is more likely to work as well as being better for privacy.

There’s no need to store data centrally to implement contact tracing.

Astute

It will bring the nation together as we all raise our middle fingers towards Europe
You can di as you wish. I won't be joining you. Will be living there myself in less than 3 years. I will happily send you my middle finger from France.

David O'Day

Rubbish. The government don’t even say that, they say they need the centralised data for NHS planning not track and trace. Most other countries are using the Apple/Google decentralised system which as the article explains is more likely to work as well as being better for privacy.

There’s no need to store data centrally to implement contact tracing.
NHS planning is the same thing.

Still if there's a conspiracy theory out there then someone will jump on it. You're never alone in the internet

rondog1973

Greece might get the Elgin marbles back, Egypt might get all their stuff back from all the British museums that was stolen from Egypt. The list of pilfered goods sat in British museums is endless.
Was on an excursion bus in Turkey visiting Ephesus. As we stopped by the site of the Temple of Artemis, one of the seven ancient wonders, we disembarked. The site now consists of just a free standing column, cobbled together from the remaining rubble set amongst the Marshes. The guide gave a brief explanation of the history of the site, and said if we'd like to see more of it, then head home as most of it resided in the British museum...

Alan Dugdales Moustache

None of the above, just pointing out facts. You may not like it but you need to face up to it. We are not the innocent bystanders that some people would like to make out we are.

You know- I don't get why this is not obvious- but it is very easily possible to be very proud of this country for many things, and also be aware that other things we did were evil & murderous. It doesn't have to be all one of the other, you can have both. Whether on balance we have been a force for good is not up to me to decide- I think so personally, but that doesn't mean I'm going to just pretend other things never happened which caused death & poverty all over the planet, up to you if thats the way you want to act.
Pointing out the same facts on a regular basis. Consistently calling out our dirty deeds of the past. We all know it. So do the Spanish, Portuguese, french, Germans , Japanese, etc etc. of their respective nations. But what is the point of you keep doing this over and over again ?

Ring Of Steel

Pointing out the same facts on a regular basis. Consistently calling out our dirty deeds of the past. We all know it. So do the Spanish, Portuguese, french, Germans , Japanese, etc etc. of their respective nations. But what is the point of you keep doing this over and over again ?

When people start saying we should boycott China, talk bollocks about suing for reparations and 'making them pay', some perspective badly needs to be applied, as uncomfortable as that might be for you.

Grendel

When people start saying we should boycott China, talk bollocks about suing for reparations and 'making them pay', some perspective badly needs to be applied, as uncomfortable as that might be for you.

How ironic given your total lack of perspective

Users who are viewing this thread