Championship 21/22 (4 Viewers)

Sky Blue Harry H

We should've done better in January. I'm not saying we splash out millions but a few premier League loans in the u23 range that aren't playing and maybe the parent club paying all or the majority of their wages would give us more options

We've built up a great team spirit at the club, and ousting players to be replaced by PL loanees, whose clubs will insist on them playing, if they are still picking up all/the majority of their wages, would potentially disrupt the squad unity. Coupled with that, what 'quality' PL players are we going to get that come at almost no cost, and if they are going to have that much impact, why won't any other clubs have come in for them - including those who will be able to spend a few £££s?

skybluesam66

a strange season
QPR / WBA/ Stoke were all among the front runners and favourites, and have all dropped off badly
Forest and Sheff U have both come from nowhere

There could still be big changes - I dont think we have a cat in hells chance, but if we could win at St Andrews - then a big performance against Bournemouth would certainly make things interesting

I did do a predictor getting us 4 wins and a draw (overly optimistic but to see where that would take us) - and it left us 7th on GD - so that is the minimum we would need I feel

Evo1883

a strange season
QPR / WBA/ Stoke were all among the front runners and favourites, and have all dropped off badly
Forest and Sheff U have both come from nowhere

There could still be big changes - I dont think we have a cat in hells chance, but if we could win at St Andrews - then a big performance against Bournemouth would certainly make things interesting

I did do a predictor getting us 4 wins and a draw (overly optimistic but to see where that would take us) - and it left us 7th on GD - so that is the minimum we would need I feel

It would be very coventry city to win 5 out of 5 when you absolutely have too ..

I just don't see it , I reckon 7 or 8 points at best

skybluesam66

since falling from the Premier league we have finished top half 3 times in the championship

1st season after relegation 11th on 66 points (1 point in the last 7 games , 9 points off play offs)
2003/04 12th on 65 points (Eric Black season - missed play offs by 8 points)
2005/06 8th on 63 points (thanks to a late burst - never closer and 12 points off play offs)

so if we can finish at least 8th on at least 67 points and within 7 points of the play offs, it is without doubt the closest we have been in 21 years

I think we can beat anybody in a one off, just dont think we have quite enough to sustain it for 5 more games in a row

Frostie

a strange season

This is the thing when people say about 1 or 2 more signings in January would have definitely seen us kick on.
QPR / WBA/ Stoke were all above us on 1st January & invested in their squads (heavily in Stoke & WBA's cases) whilst already having a lot more quality than us. There's no guarantees.

clint van damme

This is the thing when people say about 1 or 2 more signings in January would have definitely seen us kick on.
QPR / WBA/ Stoke were all above us on 1st January & invested in their squads (heavily in Stoke & WBA's cases) whilst already having a lot more quality than us. There's no guarantees.

There are no guarantees, but when your bench contains foetuses and 2 keepers is hard not to come to the conclusion that additions in January would have helped.

Frostie

There are no guarantees, but when your bench contains foetuses and 2 keepers is hard not to come to the conclusion that additions in January would have helped.

Oh I know & totally agree but depends what was available & what cost. Realistically you probably had 12/13 clubs chasing 3 playoff spots - I was never convinced we'd be in that conversation come the end. It's a lack of depth that's killed us & I don't think 1 extra signing would have bridged that gap.

Grendel

since falling from the Premier league we have finished top half 3 times in the championship

1st season after relegation 11th on 66 points (1 point in the last 7 games , 9 points off play offs)
2003/04 12th on 65 points (Eric Black season - missed play offs by 8 points)
2005/06 8th on 63 points (thanks to a late burst - never closer and 12 points off play offs)

so if we can finish at least 8th on at least 67 points and within 7 points of the play offs, it is without doubt the closest we have been in 21 years

I think we can beat anybody in a one off, just dont think we have quite enough to sustain it for 5 more games in a row

The first season down was really just a joke. We were in the top 6 virtually all season then along came Jim Smith to screw it up - that season was the closest as we threw it away

Mcginnity was a real clown - he then sacked black of course as he was too inconsistent- to be fair Peter Reid was fairly consistent

higgs

Are we looking for a draw tonight to keep both Luton and Huddersfield within striking distance?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

shmmeee

The first season down was really just a joke. We were in the top 6 virtually all season then along came Jim Smith to screw it up - that season was the closest as we threw it away

Mcginnity was a real clown - he then sacked black of course as he was too inconsistent- to be fair Peter Reid was fairly consistent

McGinnity doesn’t get close to enough shit, sheltered by Richarse before him and Sisu after, but he was responsible for so many poor decisions that fucked us up.

Grendel

McGinnity doesn’t get close to enough shit, sheltered by Richarse before him and Sisu after, but he was responsible for so many poor decisions that fucked us up.

Yeah a lot! We literally wouldn’t be where we are now but for that fool

Feb57

Unfortunately I think the premature death of Sir Derek Higgs played a part in our financial woes and hence our journey down the leagues. I am convinced had he not died, the SISU debacle would never have happened as it was his fathers charity money that purchased the share in the arena that was meant to ensure we always had a stake in it. Unfortunately, SISU squandered the chance to purchase said share when they had the goodwill and the opportunity. The rest is history.

David O'Day

I understand Luton are very successful and especially so given their budget but wow they are a hard watch

SAJ

The reason we didn’t take loads on in January was because the club chose to extend contracts as in the long term is gives the club greater stability. This season they have extended Allen, Hyam, Godden, O’Hare and Hamer. The reality is there was no money left.It may be O’Hare and or Hamer go in the summer but they are worth several million more now than they would have been has we gambled brought someone in with no guarantee we would get promoted. It could of course be they remain and we’re in a stronger position next year than this.
Robins has said on numerous occasions our model is develop and sell then reinvest and do the same. This is the model virtually ever team bar the big 6 have to adopt we are no different just further down the chain at the moment.

Grendel

The reason we didn’t take loads on in January was because the club chose to extend contracts as in the long term is gives the club greater stability. This season they have extended Allen, Hyam, Godden, O’Hare and Hamer. The reality is there was no money left.It may be O’Hare and or Hamer go in the summer but they are worth several million more now than they would have been has we gambled brought someone in with no guarantee we would get promoted. It could of course be they remain and we’re in a stronger position next year than this.
Robins has said on numerous occasions our model is develop and sell then reinvest and do the same. This is the model virtually ever team bar the big 6 have to adopt we are no different just further down the chain at the moment.

we have no model - it’s a fallacy and we have to sell fast or we can’t sign anyone

shmmeee

Extending Allen Hyam and Godden is a waste of cash, same as Kelly, will be more deadwood we can’t shift that’ll prevent us from moving forwards.

Hamer and O’Hare fair enough, but sell one for £5m and we will still be too skint for a replacement plus the few more we need.

Whether because of the state of the game generally or because of our inability to get proper commercial income we can’t fund a competitive squad with this model. It’s not about never selling players, it’s about being able to pay 20 players of the right quality.

Grendel

Unfortunately I think the premature death of Sir Derek Higgs played a part in our financial woes and hence our journey down the leagues. I am convinced had he not died, the SISU debacle would never have happened as it was his fathers charity money that purchased the share in the arena that was meant to ensure we always had a stake in it. Unfortunately, SISU squandered the chance to purchase said share when they had the goodwill and the opportunity. The rest is history.

Well we all know who took the table For the charity and he was a total disaster

Sky Blue Harry H

We may not be as high in the table as these 2 but I know I'd rather watch us play than this shit every week

Agreed - although Huddersfield do try and play a lot more football than Luton. That O'Brien makes them tick, and will get snapped up in the summer.

Sky Blue Harry H

Luton's antics at corners are plain embarrassing.

Anybody surprised if there are scuffles at the final whistle?

clint van damme

We used the January loan market to good effect last season. I think we missed a trick not doing so again.

Users who are viewing this thread