BBC. (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Processing of claims has been cut (wilfully?) over many, many years.

And it must be remembered, you cannot be an illegal asylum seeker, you can't.

Let’s be honest though - many countries including EU countries - make it virtually impossible for people to claim asylum there

slowpoke

It’s my prediction for their next move. Replacing him with say, Jimmy Bullard will be seen as revenge. By saying “we’ve listened feel that we need more diversity to better reflect modern Britain” is a position or almost immunity. Few would dare criticise the appointment of say, Alex Scott for fear of being called racist, sexiest, gammon etc.
Match of the Day is men’s football and in my opinion should be presented by a man, ladies football is for the ladies and should be presented by a lady.
I like Alex Scott and think she comes across okay as a panellist and I’m not concerned regards female match reporters but as I said Saturday match of the day imo is a man thing.
For example I wouldn’t expect Jeremy Clarkson to present Loose Women.

harvey098

Cancel culture and the free speech debate is not confined to the BBC. It has been going on for years and there are infinite examples.

To be ignorant of that just looks like a deliberate attempt to slow walk the general debate and I don't believe you or the other poster are really that clueless.

'We didn't know there were any other attempts to cancel people in the past so we're just speaking up about it all now' is an almost humorous take and I don't think you can be taken seriously in this conversation with it.

Just give me a couple of these infinite examples that are comparable to this case…

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
You’ll kick yourself when you find out your tv remote has a volume button.

All those years you could’ve watched in silence as you’re now pretending to prefer.
I don't bother listening to the drivel between highlights. I'm not bothered if such and such a player should have done this or that. And as for a volume control, yes, you're right. I have one. Now go and slip into something comfortable. Like a coma.

Grendel

Just give me a couple of these infinite examples that are comparable to this case…

I’ve already highlighted the cancelling of Peter tatchell and Linda Belos from debates within student unions. Bellos was referred to as a bigot - funnier than your comedy Harvey

NorthernWisdom

Let’s be honest though - many countries including EU countries - make it virtually impossible for people to claim asylum there
I don't particularly care what other countries do when we're talking about this country, it distracts from our government's attempts to regress us to a hate-fuelled position - I've said many times that there's a reason why I've been proud to be British, and that is our (relative!) tolerance, acceptance, and willingness to help those less fortunate - the fact that other countries are even shitter is not a reason for us to aim to lead a table of barbarism! What we should be is campaigning for the worst nations to show tolerance and humanity to those who have suffered unmentionable horrors, to be a force for good in the world.

That's what makes Britain Great, not to mirror itself on backwards, insular rhetoric where we fail to appreciate just how lucky we are.

Boosh

Ffs. You can’t be that thick 😂

Max more impressive than Godden, who is it that’s thick oh dear

Last edited:

Grendel

Send back Gyokeres oh no. Who’s thick again mate?

PVA wanted to do that as well - perhaps they should do a comedy double act

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Same with Lineker then. Though it should be easy to find similarities, history being what it is.
One is a person who was making a comparison on his personal social media channel. The other is the Home Secretary in charge of the policy making an official statement on behalf of the government..

I think I know who I place the higher burden on.

harvey098

I’ve already highlighted the cancelling of Peter tatchell and Linda Belos from debates within student unions. Bellos was referred to as a bigot - funnier than your comedy Harvey
I’m not saying there weren’t any. I was asking for the examples as I “had clearly missed them”. I haven’t heard of either cases but will look into them now 👍

Grendel

I’m not saying there weren’t any. I was asking for the examples as I “had clearly missed them”. I haven’t heard of either cases but will look into them now 👍

I’ve always admired Tatchell since the Bermondsey by election fiasco

NorthernWisdom

I’ve always admired Tatchell since the Bermondsey by election fiasco

You know, I kind of agree with you on some elements of Peter Tatchell, but you've picked a poor example there tbh as it's another speaker not wishing to share the same stage as him - ultimately everybody's welcome to do *that* as well.

As it happens, Tatchell spoke at that event, Cowling didn't, so he certainly wasn't cancelled there when it came to it and, in fact, probably got a larger audience than he otherwise would!

slowpoke

What should the most be that anyone is allowed to earn? Aren’t you calling for the old 95% top rate of tax essentially? (Not that I’m disagreeing)
No, I was just replying to a post that imo was saying in a roundabout way Lineker gets too much, perhaps he does that’s a matter of opinion. I could get as political as anyone about already wealthy people earning in a week what most get in a year, two or even more, government squirming about giving nurses for example a 10% + increase yet employ someone like wealthy Tory donor Richard Sharpe as head of the Beeb probably on an eye watering salary dropping into his multi-million pound bank account which the likes of poor old me is contributing to.

SBT

Cancel culture and the free speech debate is not confined to the BBC. It has been going on for years and there are infinite examples.

To be ignorant of that just looks like a deliberate attempt to slow walk the general debate and I don't believe you or the other poster are really that clueless.

'We didn't know there were any other attempts to cancel people in the past so we're just speaking up about it all now' is an almost humorous take and I don't think you can be taken seriously in this conversation with it.
I’m not trying to slow walk the debate, I’m trying to understand why you’re so upset that people don’t speak out more about comparable controversies. If there are “infinite” examples of people being suspended from their job for giving a political opinion, why don’t you just expose all the hypocrites once and for all by naming a few?

harvey098

NorthernWisdom

I’m not trying to slow walk the debate, I’m trying to understand why you’re so upset that people don’t speak out more about comparable controversies. If there are “infinite” examples of people being suspended from their job for giving a political opinion, why don’t you just expose all the hypocrites once and for all by naming a few?
You should know by now that unless you speak about every injustice in the world, you're not entitled to speak about any.

I'd just take the small win that Earlsdon agrees that it's a farce that the story becomes about a person making a small comment condemning a policy that sparks hate and makes criminals of the weakest, rather than the policy itself.

Boosh

@SBT not rating Gyokeres is incredibly on brand

• Sad
Reactions: SBT

The Philosopher

Match of the Day is men’s football and in my opinion should be presented by a man, ladies football is for the ladies and should be presented by a lady.
I like Alex Scott and think she comes across okay as a panellist and I’m not concerned regards female match reporters but as I said Saturday match of the day imo is a man thing.
For example I wouldn’t expect Jeremy Clarkson to present Loose Women.
Gabby Logan has presented men’s football on BBC for years.

Jamesimus

Seems more like you can’t answer

I could, but I'd be here for ages talking about his numerous rape allegations (with compelling evidence), financial abuse of women and vulnerable young men and how he basically admits to numerous crimes in the laughably embarrassing "Hustlers University" and even "Hustlers University 2.0". But you already know about this because you're a paid member of his discord server no doubt and enjoy listening to Alex Jones podcasts?

Jamesimus

Never heard of Alex jones, not a member of hustlers university. No charges or anything regarding rape, financial abuse or any other crime in fact but good effort

*Yet.

He fled the UK because of the rape allegations. Or as he said, he left because it was becoming "too woke".

Boosh

*Yet.

He fled the UK because of the rape allegations. Or as he said, he left because it was becoming "too woke".

Well it’s been almost a year since the investigation started and nothing yet. The UK is too woke I agree

Users who are viewing this thread