BBC. (1 Viewer)

slowpoke

With respect that’s rubbish Subscription you say the BBC licence fee is £13.50 a month, for that you get everything tv and radio. Just needs consistency on the rules Lineker was in trouble for what he did, Alan Sugar commands a Sun front page telling us all how to vote and why. Loads of examples regards that.
Do we start paying for ITV, Channels 4&5 separately as well and before mentioning advertisement pay there are commercials and plenty of them on subscription channels, that’s possibly the way for the Beeb to go.

shmmeee

I would make the TV licence an internet tax though. Higher coverage and more accurate for how most content is delivered these days. Charge it at isp level so no enforcement needed either.

slowpoke

Lots of arguments to get rid of the licence fee but without it we will be at the mercy of the bias of the likes of a Rupert Murdoch and others of the same ilk. We have seen an example this week with Richard Sharpe and Tim Davie then theres the more dangerous faceless ones behind the scenes.
Suddenly Tory MPs are surprise surprise Rees-Mogg being one, running to the barricades and trying to blame the £13.5 a month licence fee.

skybluetony176

If sport was subscription only some minority sports would lose out as I’m not sure there’d be enough subscribers to make it financially viable. Which is why the TV license is so important.

Grendel

If sport was subscription only some minority sports would lose out as I’m not sure there’d be enough subscribers to make it financially viable. Which is why the TV license is so important.

what sports?

skybluetony176

what sports?
Motorcycle road racing for one. BBC Ulster covers the season (IOM TT aside) and it’s all available on the I player including livestream/coverage of the NW200, 2nd biggest road racing event of the calendar after the IOM TT. Would be lost if it was pay streaming without a doubt. And the unseen damage of that is it would cut exposure for a sport that’s already struggling financially, not least because of rising insurance costs. That TV coverage/exposure plays a big part in drawing in sponsors making the oldest motorsport in the world viable. Scraping the TV license would have more far reaching consequences than people realise. I think if people educated themselves on it (fat chance in the current ignorance is bliss culture) people would if not see the larger value of the BBC they’d realise it’s something worth fighting for and low hanging fruit in a phoney culture war.

Grendel

Motorcycle road racing for one. BBC Ulster covers the season (IOM TT aside) and it’s all available on the I player including livestream/coverage of the NW200, 2nd biggest road racing event of the calendar after the IOM TT. Would be lost if it was pay streaming without a doubt. And the unseen damage of that is it would cut exposure for a sport that’s already struggling financially, not least because of rising insurance costs. That TV coverage/exposure plays a big part in drawing in sponsors making the oldest motorsport in the world viable. Scraping the TV license would have more far reaching consequences than people realise. I think if people educated themselves on it (fat chance in the current ignorance is bliss culture) people would if not see the larger value of the BBC they’d realise it’s something worth fighting for and low hanging fruit in a phoney culture war.

But hardly anyone is interested - why should people be forced to pay for it - you are arguing against yourself - shall we have tiddlywinks next?

skybluetony176

But hardly anyone is interested - why should people be forced to pay for it - you are arguing against yourself - shall we have tiddlywinks next?
Plenty of people watch it. It just doesn’t have the same audience as F1. I’m not arguing against myself it’s just you being your usual self, know the cost of everything and the value of nothing. Plenty of sports aren’t sustainable with or without outside forces, football for one, even with BIG TV money, should we drop every sport that relies on people who don’t watch it money? Because all that TV money in football is subsidised by people who don’t watch it. The only person arguing against themselves is you.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Wow. BBC Ulster.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

So is the big eared gimp and his band of arse-lickers (Wrighty etc) coming back or not? I can’t stand him so I’m firmly on the side of the BBC here.
Some headline I read said he wasn't doing motd this weekend though it was business as usual with commentary, punditry tosh etc.
...but they'll still pay him.

Bad Boy

OK Lineker has a right to speak out using social media regarding issues that he feels strongly about and whether he was right or wrong to do so whilst contracted by the BBC (who are a bunch of hypocritical cunts as far as I'm concerned) is for other people to decide. As for the government...well clearly this saga is a welcome distraction from the huge issues facing this country and the world right now and some at Westminster haven't covered themselves in glory over these last few days and quite probably weeks, months and years but that's another story and isn't really what a football forum is about but hey, almost everything in life is touched by politics and religion.
But when you start using periods in history which is beyond most peoples comprehension, a moment in time that is so repulsive, so depraved, so monstrous on an industrial scale and suggest similarities to the language being used regarding the boat people problem of today is absolutely shameful and to that end Lineker should be asked to apologise to a) the untold number of people that suffered at the hands of the Nazis and b) to the many many people on both sides of the Channel (officials, ordinary working people and volunteers) that are working tirelessly to try and sort out what is a very very difficult and complex situation to ensure fairness, common decency and compassion towards people that are in dire straits (pardon the pun).

Last edited:

Skybluefaz

OK Lineker has a right to speak out using social media regarding issues that he feels strongly about and whether he was right or wrong to do so whilst contracted by the BBC (who are a bunch of hypocritical cunts as far as I'm concerned).
But when you start using periods in history which is beyond most peoples comprehension, a moment in time that is so repulsive, so depraved, so monstrous on an industrial scale and suggest similarities to the boat people problem of today is absolutely shameful and to that end Lineker should be asked to apologise to a) the untold number of people that suffered at the hands of the Nazis and b) to the many many people on both sides of the Channel (officials, ordinary working people and volunteers) that are working tirelessly to try and sort out what is a very very difficult and complex situation to ensure fairness, common decency and compassion towards people that are in dire straits (pardon the pun).
What was the pun?

Mcbean

Can you imagine the overpaid spunksters having to discuss Coventry if we make promotion - they all despised us before 🤣

Mcbean

I'm not so sure they despised us Mcb, more a case of total indifference which is far worse.
Thing is without a host of teams like Coventry they wouldn’t have the big teams results to fawn about all the time - we seem to be the most unpopular team when relegated probably as we had hung on for so long

ceetee

Thing is without a host of teams like Coventry they wouldn’t have the big teams results to fawn about all the time - we seem to be the most unpopular team when relegated probably as we had hung on for so long
Perception is everything.

Most of our fan base see us as a Premier League club that has fallen on hard times.
I suspect much of the football world see us as a lower league club that overperformed for the best part of thirty years

Bad Boy

Most of our fan base see us as a Premier League club that has fallen on hard times.
I suspect much of the football world see us as a lower league club that overperformed for the best part of thirty years
Yep, I pretty much agree with that.
I'm very fortunate I saw all 34 years in top flight and a lot of the time it weren't pretty. But you know what, over 3 decades of overperforming was a fine achievement and no one can take that away from us.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I dunno we’re a very similar club to Southampton. Well up until they went back ip a few years back - and they were welcomed back

fernandopartridge

You're not correct in my experience, living in the north west generally speaking a lot of people I have known still talk of Coventry as a team that should be in the top flight

mmttww

Have I spelt fuck you correctly?

Hate nothing more than spell fairies.

Sniffling big nosed pricks.
Melting quicker than a snowflake. Gold. And I like my big nose. How did you know I'm full of cold, though? Feel like I'm being stalked.

*spelling fairies, unless you're into magic

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread