Your stories of meeting players (that no one else is interested in hearing). (1 Viewer)

skybluejelly

Got a passport photo from boots leamington spa with myself, peter billing, brian burrows and peter billing on it...they were shopping and were up for it we had to be quick in and out the booth between each flash.

Did a collection from dion dublin at his place the dube in leamington spa, he kept me waiting and gave me £20 for his trouble, top bloke....

how did billing get on it twice..:)

ecky

how did billing get on it twice..:)

my mistake me. brian, peter and Lloyd McGrath. we had to jump in and out really quick as there were four flashes, i could put in on here if i knew how? got an i phone could take a photo of the passport pic and send it, anyone want to see it?

philmcc

I worked as a trainee groundsman for ccfc 1990-91. Met everyone there at the time, I worked at ryton...gave up a graphic design apprenticeship to do that job which was a bit of a regret but at least I got to rub shoulders with many of the 87 side...and speedo ...oh and I saw Dion Dublin in toys r us in cov a few months after he signed for villa :)

NottsCov

Me and my mates saw Andy Whing on a night out in Cov. He spat his gum out and tried volleying it but missed so we gave it a "Weeeeeeeeey!" and he shouted fuck off!

covkid69

a few years ago pre sisu when they raised money for the academy i did a race night at the higgs centre and oggy was in charge he insisted on getting my drinks all night and also brian borrows bought me one.....oggy was very pleasant i thought....also had the pleasure of meeting my hero tommy hutchison when we played bristol city in the f.a cup and he was happy to pose for a pic

skybluesham

Lived in exhall growing up and often saw Mark Hately, Harry Roberts , Ian Wallace and
Alan Dugdale. Harry Roberts had a road named after him if I remember. Ian Wallace had a great big dulux type dog. Also shared a beer with The legend that is John motson whilst on a stag do in Bournemouth. Fitted some tyres to Chippo s car bless him proper ripped him off, he couldn't say a word of English apart from ok and also fixed mcpakes car. His English was as bad as chippos

Spionkop

Rattles, allegedly George Hudson liked a drink in the Wyken Working Men's club. When he didn't return home one day his family went looking for him along the Anstey Road. & found him fast asleep in someone's front garden. Few people have told me that.

Sky Blue Harry H

Tommy Hutchison in a posh coat, with a posh piece of totty, queueing to see Jaws at the cinema in Leamington (too in awe to ask for his autograph!) :D

H

Huckerby

Saw McSheffrey in Boots Central 6 a couple of months after he signed for Birmingham.

I was on the phone to my mum when I saw him and shes a Birmingham fan, begged me to go and get his autograph. So, reluctantly, I went up to him and asked politely for his autograph. He looked all full of himself and was like yeah alright then mate (giving it a little glance around, you know what I mean), and then I quickly said "yeahhhhh can you address it to Liz please..."

Should have seen his face.

H

Huckerby

Also met Pele at that book signing he did at the Ricoh...queued up for 15 hours for that

WillieStanley

I did some charity work in the late 90s, voluntary door to door collection for The Salvation Army. I knocks at the door, there's Marc Edworthy. As a 15 year old I was star struck - even by Edworthy!! He seemed genuinely chuffed I'd recognised him and gave me £30 for the cause and a signed picture for myself!! Top fella!!

Hobo

Saw Patrick Suffo kicking off at another motorist in Far Gosford Street I told him to wind his neck in...never had much time for him.

Brian Borrows dog often nicks my dogs ball...sound guy and Sky Blue Legend.

John Salako in garage on A45 buying crisps and chocolate...pleasant guy to talk to and more articulate than your average football player.

Not a footballer but bumped into David Essex outside Highfield Rd before we played West Ham, not my kind of music, but really nice down to earth guy with good sense of humour.

WillieStanley

Oh, I keep seeing City players at the Showcase too... well "keep" is an exageration.

Leon Best with an "crew" of young attractive females and playas

Then last summer I saw Callum Wilson there. I was being all cool and not like 15 year old WS at all, he spotted my City shirt and kept looking over in the lobby... slightly uncomfortable!!

luckylad

Met Steven Hughes in Emperors restaurant in leamington.. Top bloke and chatted like we were pals. Saw Roberto di Matteo there too when he was at WBA and regularly Marcus Hall too albeit he is always a bit grouchy

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

Also met Cranie and Gunnarsson on a night out in Leamington, couple of years back. Even got a photo, despite Cranie's reluctance (Gunnars more than happy to oblige)!

Cranie_Gunnars.jpg

Rusty Trombone

my mistake me. brian, peter and Lloyd McGrath. we had to jump in and out really quick as there were four flashes, i could put in on here if i knew how? got an i phone could take a photo of the passport pic and send it, anyone want to see it?

Love to see it, I bet the Billing one is quite a sight.

wingy

Met Steven Hughes in Emperors restaurant in leamington.. Top bloke and chatted like we were pals. Saw Roberto di Matteo there too when he was at WBA and regularly Marcus Hall too albeit he is always a bit grouchy

Were they wearing Penguin suits ,or was It on the menu .:facepalm:

Rusty Trombone

Thought we might get some Whelan stories, best I can do is my mate worked in the Yorkshire Bank, the one where Whelans's bloodied shoe ended up on a balcony.

Real

Got a passport photo from boots leamington spa with myself, peter billing, brian burrows and peter billing on it...they were shopping and were up for it we had to be quick in and out the booth between each flash.

Did a collection from dion dublin at his place the dube in leamington spa, he kept me waiting and gave me £20 for his trouble, top bloke....

Please post the pic, I'm still in touch with Billo, I'd love to show him and remind him of it, see if he recalls it.

I meet a lot of the players through being an estate agent. Nicest ones have been Stephen Wright and Carl Baker. I could tell you about a few twats that I've dealt with (including Villa blues and west brom players) but its not worth my job!

Stuff your job, go on tell us....................;)

mrtickle

Not a player but I once go cut up by a car near the leofrick. Wound the window down and call the guy a c**t and when he turned his head. It was Lionel Blair.

withnail

I once met Wegerle in Drummonds (now some pizza place) in Kenilworth..
He was out having a quiet pint with Cobi Jones (I think).
I thought it'd be nice if I joined them so I dragged my mate along and kicked off the conversation.
The next thing I know I'd looked a way for a second and they were gone leaving two half full pints.
As if the rejection was not bad enough this sorry affair took place literally days before he went AWOL back in the mid 90s.
I blamed myself for some time.
Can't remember what I said to him, maybe it was "WHO NEEDS CANTONA, WHEN WE'VE GOT WEG-ER-LE" ... (it wasn't).

Moff

Saw Nick Pickering in KFC in the Burges in the worst white shoes I have ever seen (he is a mackam though and they are fifty years behind in fashion)

Saw Speedie and Emerson whilst at a pub in Ryton, good guys and bought a few of us a drink.

Used to see John Eustace up in the stands when he wasnt playing. He used come up with his family and I can honestly say he was a top bloke and a passionate fan when watching.
Also used to see Whelan up in the stands when he was injured, often belting out the Sky Blue song with the rest of the fans. He acted like the rest of us fans which gave me a very positive impression of him. He was also a funny bloke who you could have a good laugh with.

Used to speak to Gavin Strachan a lot when my son attended the Strachan soccer school. Gordon was sometimes there and often up for a chat. Despite what people think they genuinely seem to acre for the club, and still have very strong ties to the area. Both were really good with the kids and would often stay behind to chat about the club.

Met Fergie a few times, nice as pie, and would talk to anyone, whereas met Motty and he was a complete ****

Danceswithhorses

I bumped into Oggy coming out of a bank in Quinton Parade, Cheylesmore. I just politely said "Hello Oggy!" He totally ignored me as well. He doesn't have time for the fans, apparently!
I too can vouch that oggy is a miserable sod - as a nervous young teen, he once told me to fuck off , whilst i was collecting glasses near his snooker table.
Respect instantly lost

Sky

Saw Michael Mifeud in central six jjb, Kevin Thornton going into the bookies in ernesford and played with/spoke to Gael B a few times as he was in the year above me at school

Samo

Kevin Drinkell tried to kick me but fell over and missed.

RedSalmon

Years ago got cut up on the ring road by Alan Brazil. Probably didn't understand the 'Coventry Ring Road Etiquette' of filtering on and off and not being a pushy bastard!!

Users who are viewing this thread